Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am worried about dying under anesthetic!

This is my main fear.

How safe is this operation?

I know a man who had this done, and it changed his life, for the better!

He has lost 100lbs, and now goes to the gym, and walks around like he is light as a feather, he is so happy and outgoing!

I would love to have it done too, after yo yoing up and down with my weight for years.

Thankyou for any help!

I know how you feel, that was my main worry too! I wasn't worried about anything else just that I wouldn't wake back up again. I still had to go through with the surgery, it meant a better life for me. I can't tell you how much better things are now after the surgery. I would do it again in a minute.

Thank you! I think I will go through with it, but I suffer from depression, so need to fix my head and my body, and hope that by losing the weight, I will get out more a get a life!

I think everyone has a fear of something. I fear I'm losing my mind (kidding). Lucky for us we live in a time where medicine is advanced. The benefits outweigh the risks.

that was my main fear, that i wouldnt wake up when i was supposed to.

this surgery has changed my life completely. i now exercise 5-9 times a week and have lost 98 7/8 pounds since October 2006.

i would do this surgery again in a heartbeat.

Hi Caz,

I completely understand what you are feeling. I have a 2 year old son and a wonderful Husband. I was so afraid that I wouldn't make it through the surgery. I almost didn't go through with it. Then I cleared my head and tried to think logically. I realized that I was cheating death every day that I continued to walk around with 100 excess lbs. on me. I had a hard time getting off the floor when playing with my son. I knew I had to take the chance.

Now - in terms of being safe. Lap-band for many patients is day surgery. The procedure on average takes about an hour. Therefore, you are not under anesthesia very long. Also, my doc put me under a full battery of tests prior to the procedure. I knew going in that there were no problems, other than my weight, and that handling the anesthia shouldn't be a problem. I'm sure your doc will do the same for you.

We all play these head games with ourselves. Hang in there and make sure you keep a lot of support around you. Good luck!

This is my main fear.

How safe is this operation?

I had the same fears...bet a lot of us do! Anyway, I asked my doctor before hand and he said this was the safest surgery there was. I'm 2 weeks out and so far, glad I've done it! Good luck!

I had/have that fear - but the thing i keep telling myself is this. Lapband is far less riskier that RNY. It is a much safer alternative in that your organs and internal anatomy are not being cut or rerouted. That being said all surgeries are risky. So KNOW your hospital and DR. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Make sure you dr requires a battery of tests. it is a pain in the a$$ but it is for good reason. Ask your surgeon if any one has passed or developed life threatening infections under his/her care. its a fair question and if you seem unnerved at anytime in your drs presence - aside from general fear of the surgery, then look elsewhere. if you have doubts about your surgeons skills or bed side manner - then move on and find a different surgeon. I don't know what your situation is so my next comment is not directed to you or anyone in general - just a thought i am having. Maybe I would have a different opinion if my insurance wasn't covering it but i certainly would not risk my life on something if it came down to comfort level, pre/post op care with a dr i trusted vs saving a some money. I would look for a surgeon and a hospital that cared more about you the patient than having another surgery. You also said you suffer from depression. 90% of the people i have met who had bariatric surgery in the US were required to have a psych eval. Some were required to have multiple sessions. It is at the drs disgression. Certainly the dr doing the psych eval would be willing to help you with your depression if you are not seing anyone already. Good luck in you journey. I can honestly say - I no longer worrying if this is the right decision for me. I know it is and now that i have my date I am just checking off the days in anticipation of having a tool that will help me become the healthy person i want to be.

I was worried about this too, and I even worked for an anesthesiologist at the time I had this surgery so I knew better, lol. The risk is relatively low, seriously. You are worrying needlessly. I expressed this same concern here before surgery, and someone told me, "Your chances of dying are probably higher when you get into your car and drive to the store." That helped me put it in perspective.

Someone mentioned the surgery taking an hour. I was under anesthesia for two hours. Interestingly, if you are sliced open (vs. worked on laparoscopically) the surgery takes less time. Don't be too freaked out about the time period.

You'll do fine.

There are risks with everything we do in life.....including obesity. I lost almost 100 lbs and I have to say that I'm a very different person today, for the better.

Go for it.....you have nothing to worry about.

Carol

i had the same fear before my surgery and I met with my surgeon and she assured me that now in 2007 it is so safe to be under and that I will be monitered the whole time. that it was even safer then driving to the hospital then to be under.

Ask to have the anesthesia doc come and meet with you or have them give you something to calm you down. besides my oxgen being too low i was fine- I don;t even remember the surgery- that was the easy part

<p>One thing about anesthesia: When they put the mask over my face I hated it and felt very clausterphobic. In my pre-op interview, they warned me that this could happen and they told me simply to turn my face away from the mask if this happened. I was a bit drugged by then but I do remember turning my face away. I felt like I would suffocate so I turned my head to the side. The anesthesiologist was fine with this because he held it over my face (about 1/2 inch away) and then (I assume!) put it back on me when I was out.</p> <p> </p> <p>For the group that I used, they always use a breathing tube just to protect the airway in case something goes awry. I think this is a good practice, frankly.</p>

It is completely normal to have the fear of anesthesia during surgery. My father was put under for a kidney stone procedure 3 years ago and suffered a heart attack and several other major health concerns as a result of undetected health issues combined with the stress of anesthesea. So I was completely overcome by fear of not waking up or waking up with more serious complications. The fear was so great, I honestly considered not going through with the procedure.

You have to weigh the personal benefits of having surgery against not having it and continuing to live life at a high weight. Remember, the people who are the most successful in life are those who took risks.

As soon as they put the drugs in my arm, I was out. I woke up several hours later feeling so happy that the worst of it was over and I was ready to start my new life of health and well being.

I can only speak for myself, but I'd take the risk again in a second. Best wishes in whatever choices you make.

These replies really helped me. Not waking up is my main fear also. The comment about risking our lives everyday by carrying around 100lbs or more of weight far out-weighs (no pun intended!) the risks of surgery.