Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4months post op at a standstill super confused. Feeling like a failure

My surgeon has said that I seem to be losing weight on the lesser end of what's expected. Meaning she would like it if I lost more. Recently i have started running a mile 2-3 times a week with short breathers in between, I have never been a runner and I feel like I am doing more than ever now, but I've been at a stand still for 3 weeks or so and I don't understand. Surgeon told me not to take Protein Drinks because I was sabotaging myself and not to eat if I was not hungry, so I'm not sure if I should eat even when I'm not hungry or just have my fluids she's not the nicest to talk to and I'm pretty confused and frustrated

hi nurserosemary,

I have not had my surgery yet, but I have been reading the posts here for months and from what I have read, what you are experiencing is not unusual. I think that it is common to stall and that with the exercising that you have been doing, your body just might be wondering what the heck is going on and is holding out til it feels more secure. If your doctor is not able to relate well with you maybe you could find a nutritionist or a dietician that could guide you better on what is good for you nutritionally. It is really very important that you are eating a correct amount of Protein, as well as taking in the correct Vitamins. It is what will help you to stay healthy for the years to come. I am sorry your doctor has such a lousy "bedside manner". It only makes things that much more difficult for you. But hang in there. Take charge of what is going on if your doctor will not. God bless.

PS. You are NOT a failure! You are an overcomer!

Okay,

1. Stalls do happen.

2. I too have stopped taking Protein supplements. I get my Protein from what I eat. 3 tiny meals per day and one snack mid afternoon, usually Yoplait Greek 100 Apple pie - my fave. Each meal is a tablespoon over 1/4 cup.

3. I exercise everyday even if it's only 1/2 mile. In fact, I refuse to eat dinner if I didn't do it. Don't do what you wish you could do. do what you can and build up from that. I wish I could do a Zumba class but if all I can do is 1/2 mile, I let that be my success.

4. I have no calorie filled drinks of any sort. I can have herbal tea with a tiny dash of Lactaid (lactose intolerance) and any non-calorie drink my heart desires.

5. I have 48 to 64 oz of fluids everyday. More towards the 48 but I'm working on it

6. I also make sure I take my Peri-Colace to stay regular. For me a BM is every 3 to 4 days.

Take another look at what you are eating and doing and make a few little changes. See if that will rattle things up a bit.

Good Luck!

The thing is I don't drink Protein Shakes at all and I drink literally nothing but water(which grosses me out at times) at least 5bottles a day. Crystal light makes me more thirsty so I don't use them, just plain Water, recently had labs drawn and my pcp said everything came back normal. She basically told me to eat steak and chicken and to stay away from yogurt etc. I've lost 52 pounds and I'm 4 months post op, I know everyone is different but I saw one lady post she lost 110 lbs in 5 months so I'm thinking what the heck am I doing wrong. I guess I'm stuck at should I not eat at all if I'm not hungry? Or eat anyway? I'm usually only hungry in the morning and I'll have 1egg. Thank you all for your feedback

I just went through a two week stall And am now out on the other side. What I lea was I was not taking in enough calories and was actually working out too much. I was taking in about 400 to 500 high Protein, low carb calories a day. I was doing 1 full house of cardio which was burning between 250 and 300 calories about 4 days per week and then was moderately active throughout the remainder of the day.. I was literally told by my nutritionist and trainer to add more calories to my diet and back off the cardio to 30 minutes per day. I was stuck for nearly 3 weeks, as soon within 3 days of listening to them I broke my stall and have lost 3.5 lbs in the last 6 days. They said my body was in starvation mode.

Not sure if this is helpful but it actually worked. I actually added calories and am now up to about 650 - 750 a day. I also use my fitness pal and a Fitbit to help me track everything?

Good luck with your stall, I know it can be really frustrating!

The other thing they both told me was that when you are trying to lose weight it is really important to change things up. Your body needs variety to not the same thing all the time.

Thank you for your help. I'll give it a try :)

What kinds of things do you eat

I had my surgey Aug 4. I have only lost 46 pounds since surgery. But total of 88 pounds since I started the phase 1 part of the journey. I was not eating enough calories. I was at 500 a day and at this stage I should be eating 800-1000 per my Dr's dietian. Sure enough I increased my calories and the weight is coming off much better. Hang in there! It will be slow for some of us but it will come off.

Ya it's super tough and I'm dreading my next appt

I'm sure she will scold me and say that I have not lost enough

Thank you for the kind words

One thing I didn't see mentioned here, and don't know if this is an issue for you, is not to drink and eat at the same time. If you drink after you eat, it will push the food through your pouch too quickly and leave it empty which could make you hungry again. It's hard for me to think about not drinking anything with my meal!

I don't do that either

I think I'm not eating enough

I don't know

NurseRosemary I am using My Fitness Pal to track my calories and protien. It's a lifesaver for sure. I am not diabetic but definitely had times when my blood sugar was too low. Keep at it...you'll find your balance! And tell your surgeon not to scold you! You need advice and that's why you pay them. :) You got this!!