Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2-weeks post-op

I had a gastric bypass surgery 12/1. While I was supposed to be in overnight I was in-house for three nights. So far, that was the worst of it! I'm going for my post-op follow up next week but couldn't wait to get on the scale! I'm down 14lbs. I still have some pain at the incision site and gas pain....anyone else have this experience? In addition, I also am having difficulty sleeping. Until a few nights ago, I was using a back cushion to sit up and sleep but obviously want to get back to some normal sleep positions....on-my-side. How have you adjusted to returning to your normal sleep position and how long did it take.

Overall I am pleased with my surgery and the decision to have it...just want to make sure I'm on the right track and not hurting myself.

Congrats... You are right on track and it will be about 3-4 weeks before you might sleep on your side... It will hurt because they do most of the work in the incision on your left side. The pain is normal and Celebrex works wonders for the pain...

Hey congrats i had my rny on 12/1 so it's been 11 days for me! Still can't sleep like it'll be 4am or 5am before i can finally fall asleep and it's not a sound sleep and im up by 7 or 8. I too hope i can get back to normal. Best wishes we can get through this

I can relate to the sleeping issues- I'm a lifelong belly sleeper! I spent only 1 night in the hospital because I wanted to be back in my own house. The first night home was awful- made me nearly regret coming home! I spent the night alternating every hour or so between the recliner and the couch...I couldn't even lie flat as it felt like I couldn't breathe. Each night got a little better though- what helped a lot was using one of those long body pillows. I was able to kind of tilt on my side without much pain, and what heaven it was to sleep in my own bed again! All in all, it was about a week until I was comfortable enough to start sleeping on my side w/no pillow, and not long after that before I was a full belly sleeper again. :P

Thanks to everyone for your replies! "Freshair" - do you not have any pain medication? I stopped taking pain meds during the day (Oxy) and use Tylenol to ease any aches. I took a 1/2 Oxy when I went to bed (last night) and it seems to cut the edge off the pain but not fully.

Oh I know about that constipation...I think I should buy stock in Milk of Mag or Fleet enemas.....

Hate to say it, but the Constipation thing just never seems to get better!

Monday I will be 12 weeks and yes, Constipation is still an issue for me. I sip sip sip all day. I am meeting my Protein goals easily and I am told that is what is causing this. I have been taking colace to try to help.

I've seen it mentioned here a lot. Smooth Move tea. Seems to get things moving along. Worth a try

I am a believer... Years out and still deal w/ those issues????

My nurse said that insomnia is normal. Our bodies are in overdrive to burn the fat and such. I had issues with my incision site, but I was lazy and didn't want to move. I hurt. Worst decision. So I hit the gym hard, and the next week I was feeling better. I'm lucky if I get 5 he's of sleep. However I'm rested.

I have always been a belly/side sleeper and I had quite a bit more difficulty in this area than I did anywhere else! I even told my surgeon at week two appt that if I could just sleep normal I would feel like nothing ever happened (however that was before I tried to eat chicken, my pouch doesn't like it). This is what I did: A friend of mine that is an RN said to prop two pillows under my knees, and several under my head to my level of preference, then one pillow under each arm tucked into my sides. This worked like a charm for the first week or so, even better than the recliners!!! Then once my sides healed enough to start turning, I would prop myself up tight to my husbands back. Having my belly up against his back would put just enough pressure on it to keep me comfortable. Now this was more a nap position as you can't both sleep that way for a full night, but even on nights he worked, I would make a fake "husband" out of pillows and prop myself up against that! I ALWAYS slept with a memory foam pillow between my knees so that I wouldn't have to move due to leg pain if my torso was happy. sleeping comfortably always required MANY MANY pillows, I had to dig out the guest pillows to use those first few weeks. Now I am almost four weeks out and I can sleep normally with no issues, however now I require more blankets than ever before because I am constantly cold. I am sleeping better than I have in years!!!!!