Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Band... will it be ok?

I started on Glucophage which turns into a gelanitous(sp) mass and was definitely sticking above my stoma.

I didn't know this. Thank you so much for posting this tidbit!

wabb let me clarify. I take the extended release Glucophage that typically can stay intact throughout the GI tract. I had a difficult time with it sticking in my pouch no matter how late I would take it at night.

I would take it sometimes as late as 9 at night and it would still be in the pouch as late as 2 the next afternoon. I could actually feel it "pop" through the stoma.

So everything I ate typically didn't go through until then and drinking could be dicey. Being an insulin-dependent diabetic I just can't wait to the middle of the afternoon to start eating and drinking.

My second slip started when a Glucophage got stuck, and I spent a couple of hours trying to puke it out. Within a few days I started feeling heartburn and knew I had slipped again. My first slip was also due to vomiting.

I guess I am just real sensitive to reverse peristalsis.:confused:

Oh well. We'll see what happens from here.

Myra

After hearing about the PBing I'm now getting concerned. I have been PBing at least once a week since my last fill. Primarily at my lunch hour. I figure I'm probably eating too fast to make up time and have been trying to slow down. I don't PB at Breakfast or dinner. I see my doctor on June 6th and will tell him of course what I have been experiencing. I do feel restriction with the first couple of bites but not after that. No pain, no naseau. I do feel like I could have a larger serving if I wanted to though. And there are alot of things I can't tolerate now so that stops me.

Should I be worried as well? Or am I being paranoid?

Can I ask how you knew you had slipped? This last week I've been feeling just slightly nausious(sp) but it's more like a nervous stomach than I need to vomit. Then, two nights ago I has a horrible PB for 2 hours. Ever since I've continued the nasea but I'm able to eat and drink without any complications. Just not too hungry because of the nausea. Does this sound like a slip to you?

Cynthia

I can only tell you what I personally experienced.

Slip #1 followed an all night episode of dry heaving. I can't stay that I instantly knew I had slipped. It was more a gradual tightening of my restriction over several weeks without the benefit of a fill. I finally got to the point that after about four bites of food I could feel it stacking up in my esophagus. I also could feel the food "pop" through my stoma/band. So I made and appointment for a fill knowing that I would have a barium swallow during my appointment. Of course the slip was diagnosed after the BS.

Slip #2 followed when I had medication get "stuck" in my stoma. I couldn't pass anything up or down but my body tried to move the blockage with the dry heaves/vomiting. Again I had that gradual tightening feel except this time I started experiencing mild heart burn. I knew I had another slip so again I made an appointment for a fill knowing that I would get the barium swallow that would either confirm or deny the slip. Yep I had slipped again but not as severely as the first time.

I am told that the number one reason for slipping is vomiting. I have to say I have a cast Iron stomach and can count on one hand the times in my adult life that I have vomited/dry heaved. Unfortunately, two of those times have caused my band to slip.:)

Myra

pb productive burp

Cynthia my first self-corrected. I was only diagnosed two weeks ago with the second. I see my surgeon today and I expect to have a barium swallow probably next week.

I was told that 90% of slips will self correct with the removal of the fill and a diet of liquids/mushies for a couple of weeks.

It worked for me the first time and I think it will this time also.

Myra

My slip symptoms were: back pain, not being able to eat solids, having trouble getting liquids down and bad heartburn. The only sure way to tell if your band has slipped is to have your doctor check it under fluoro.

I had to pay $3500 for the revision surgery in Mexico, plus $250 for the endoscopy.

Good luck Myra! I'm thinking positive thoughts that your band has gone back into place.

I am a little concerned after reading all of your posts. I get "hiccups" sometimes after I eat. I got those before I was banded thou. Should I be worried. They are loud also. I found out before surgery that I have a hernia. PB=productive burps I assume that means vomitting--or is my hiccups??? Please someone let me know. I have rarely vomitted. If I did it was right after a fill. Now if I eat a salad I can feel it go thru do to I guess how slippery it is. Should I be concerned about that as well. Reading these posts definately makes me worry!!! Please let me know someone!!

<p><p><p>HI I wanted to know what happen for you to think of slippage.. I think I have something wrong yesterday all of a sudden liquids are having trouble going down...Its the weekend so I cant call anyone but I tried broth and its hurts too.</p> <p>I 'm really scared I cant think of anything I did different to affect my band.. anyone with any of the same issues please let me know some advise.</p> <p> </p> <p>Thanks </p> <p>Kimmy</p></p></p>