Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you guys eat out...

While on the road?? We are on the road now and will be again at Christmas. What are your best "out to eat" places??

Good morning! I am about 6 months out and I really struggle with this. I struggle to find something on a menu that my sleeve will tolerate. Then, if I order food, I struggle to eat it extremely slowly (the only way Sleevie Wonder can handle things right now). It's tasty and everyone else is eating normally. I think it might take years of practice to get this one down. Then, I struggle to keep the food down. I don't know if it is the added fat or sugar or what, but after eating nearly 100% of meals at home for the last year, I have sooo much trouble keeping restaurant food in my stomach- I get sick almost every time. I'm sorry! I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but this weekend it really came in to focus, because of all the unusual eating that occurs.

Here's the one thing that I have had a lot of luck with: Pho, vietnamese Soup. I definitely only eat a few noodles but the chicken and the broth are excellent. I have had Pho several times at our local shop since surgery and it feels amazing and tastes delicious. The power of soup! Except, I know people have mixed feelings on Soup, too, b/c of the liquid factor.

Good luck on your travels.

Soup and salad are good choices. Non fried seafood. I also enjoy a burger without a bun or fries. But I have to watch out if the burgers are to greasy. Steak and a bite of veggies. Keep in mind restraunt portions will feed you many times over.

I've been out twice since surgery(Max and Ermas and a local pizza joint) both times occurred within a week (family in town) Both times I ordered a Protein based sandwich without the bread, Condiments and because I was on soft food at the time, no raw vegetables. On one occasion it was a huge (for my sleeve) serving of deli turkey and the other was a 4oz grilled chicken breast. I substituted out the fries with cottage cheese which I never got to anyway. I also consulted MFP firsthand so that I could choose wisely. And really important is to ask the server questions..is the chicken grilled with butter, is the applesauce unsweetened, is the Syrup in the peach tea sugarfree, etc.

I'm 4 1/2 months post op and rarely go out to eat. Usually if I do I will get a grilled chicken salad with the chicken and dressing on the side. Usually I end of eating one bite of the salad and just focus on the chicken. The salad and dressing go home for someone else. If I could just order 1/2 of a grilled chicken breast I would. Yesterday was one of the rare times I went out to eat and I just order Charcuterie and got about 3 1/2 of prosciutto di Parma. I know not the most healthy meat, but I trimmed it really well. It was something I knew would not have any added salt, butter, or a sauce. The prosciutto was salty enough!

I haven't gone out to eat yet but you could go to subway and have the give you meat and cheese, or a salad if you can handle that. I would opt for a meat and cheese type platter though. Also if you Have to go through a drive-thru McDonald's will sale you just a grilled chicken breast and Wendy's has a good small chili. If you are dinning in Mexican restaurants have fajitas you could have that and skip the tortilla, Chinese egg drop Soup would be a good choice, Ok I'm out of ideas now : )

Edited by Elode

We just went to TGIFriday's for lunch and I got the Ahi tuna "shareable" (tapas) dish for $6. I didn't eat the tortilla chips it came on, but the tuna was great. I find (so far) that I can eat anywhere, as long as I focus on Soups or starters. Tapas are great b/c they're small.

Good luck!

best "out to eat" places??

@@TeacherMommy

Wendy's, Friendly's - make a grrrrreat chicken salad :)

yum yum :)

@@Elode sorry bud but i hate their chili :wacko:

but grilled chicken is a good idea :)

enjoy your trips to family et al over the holidays

i'm sure you will make good choices on what to eat :)

wow 40 lbs down!!!! :)

you must be doing something right :)

kathy

congrats

Chick-fil-a (spelling?) has grilled chicken nuggets I have been told.

Chick-fil-a chicken nuggets are the BOMB. This will probably be my go-to post op if I'm out and need Protein.< /p>

McDonald's - snack wraps or nuggets are great

Mexican fast food - I usually just get a taco, carne Asada street style is the best.

I've been to restaurants several times, the best kind being sushi. You can just get a couple pieces of sashimi (no rice) and miso Soup, that is a great high Protein low calorie dinner. Anywhere else, we just order one entree to split. It is less awkward than ordering your own dish and only eating 2 bites!

I'll be 5 months out in a week and so far I eat pretty much everything, my doctor told me I should eat everything but watch out for the size of the portion.

When I order, my choice will go first by the Protein then vegetable, I don't mind the carbs because I always eat them the last which I cannot eat a lot of them anyway.

The most important thing is I have to take small bit, chew well es and eat very very very slowly.