Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

3 days post op and it still doesn't feel real...

Yeah the left side. My Docs said that the left side is where they do most of the work, including inserting their stapler gun inside of us to stitch up our intestines and the abdominal muscle wall. So its "counterintuitive" but the more you walk (in spite of discomfort) the better you'll get. BUT remember to get your rest to because we just had major surgery.

Thanks for the info! Makes since why more pressure/discomfort on the left side!! Feeling great today! Went for a walk and moving around well! Heading back to work tomorrow!

Whats your story?? I would love to follow you!

April

Well I've been looking at this surgery for several years. I wasn't always overweight. In fact, I was an athlete in high school and college. I also spent several years in the military. I started gaining weight in 1998. I would diet and exercise. Take the weight off for awhile and then gain it back, plus more. My Mother died from Diabetes in 2005, and she always warned me to watch my weight. I didn't listen.

I got up to 400 lbs in 2008 and I was so depressed, disturbed, angry, and ashamed. I tried Nutrisystem, Weight Watchers, Herbalife, South Beach Diet. Nothing worked. My blood pressure, cholesterol, and A1C were raising to dangerous levels and I had no way to stop it.

So in 2010 I began going to seminars searching for a surgeon. It was hard for me to accept going this route. I felt like I was a " loser" because I couldn't discipline myself and control my appetite. It was hard to ask for help. But! I was an alcoholic and I went to detox and rehabilitation in 1993. I haven't had a drink or drug in 21 years. I believe that food can be a dangerous addiction and I needed help. So after having my insurance denied in 2012, I switched insurances in 2013. I had a surgical consult on April 22, 2014 and my weight was 466 lbs. My highest weight was 477 lbs in January 2013. I did the tests and followed my nutritional plan because my goal was to be under 400lbs by my surgery date. I had my surgery on November 4th, and on November 3rd I weighed 399 lbs. My last weigh in was last Wednesday and I was 378 lbs. I feel great!! I am so glad that I made this decision to change my lifestyle.

I apologize for the length of this, but thank you for asking me because this was therapeutic for me to recall :-) :-).

What's your story?

Jeffrey (New Jeffrey).

I had my rny on Nov 24. The first 24 hrs were the hardest. It still seems unreal to me too. Feeling good and sipping away. Go for first follow up on Wed. I'm not using any pain relief and doing great I think. Get a little stiff in morning but otherwise back to normal.

Hi all! I had my surgery on November 4th. I didn't have as much pain or discomfort directly following, just routine soreness. BUT - I did have a lousy three days in the second week. I couldn't eliminate anything and then I threw up twice...followed by some extreme eliminating. Lots of pain involved. But once it was over, it was over! LOL

It took me a long time to get my head wrapped around surgery, but once I did it was all downhill from there. I started the pre-op diet at my highest weight of 357 - SW was was 334 and today I was 319. I was stalled at 321 or so since 11/18 and it moved this morning. Hopefully it will continue because it gets really frustrating at 4 weeks out to know you've stalled already.

I know I wasn't eating enough calories. So my Nut told me to eat more. Funny, no one has ever said that before! LOL

What I struggle with now....is eating and drinking. I'm not sure I'm sipping - I don't actually know what that means... I'm not gulping...but I am drinking... if that makes sense. I also don't know if I'm eating too much. I'm really starting to get paranoid about eating.... I know I don't get 64 oz of Water in every day - but I do get in my Protein.

Yesterday I had what "sleevers" call the foamies. I had a bit of a cramp in my belly, went to the bathroom - and got more pain while eliminating (watery as it has been for two weeks)....but then I started to throw up...nothing...I had nothing to throw up. So...foam/water

My insides are sore today...and when I take a deep breath, it is even a little sore! I haven't really gotten into the habit of moving as in exercise, because the arthritis in my feet has been acting up since no more medicine! I'm rambling. Sorry. I just want to talk to people who get it.

I need to move....and figure out how to eat! :-)

@ I know I'm not getting in enough calories. I use MyFitness Pal app and I'm averaging between 600-650 calories a day, and that's a 16 hour day. I've been walking around 2 miles a day the last several days, but still can't eat more with the time constraints before eating, drinking, etc... so I've stalled to (I am 4 weeks post surgery) but I'm trying to focus on Protein, Water, and Vitamins. The weight will come.

I had surgery on Oct 22. I too went through fairly quick and I remember that feeling of "what the heck did I just do". Coming up on 6 weeks, I've come to terms with it all. I'm down 42 pounds and am starting to get my energy back. I really am excited about my new life. It's been sort of a rebirth for me. I know what you mean about sleeping. My bed is extremely high and I cried the first night I tried to get in it and find a comfortable position. I finally resorted to sleeping i our recliner for the first 2 weeks post-op. I sleep on my stomach now. No problems.

Please drop me a note if I can help in anyway. I'm not a pro by any means, but I'm a few steps ahead of you. I can at least remember what it feels like. :)

Edited by Darla Bramel Cochran

Thank you all so much for sharing. It is so helpful to know I'm not alone. I have felt the shame of not being able to control my weight. I have gone through the "What the hell did I do" moments. I have had trouble sleeping. But I know that others have made it through these things and I will too!

I'm not an emotional, feelings sharing type of guy ( read caveman) but this site has really helped. I'm 2 weeks out and I still deal with some pain around the big incision site, mostly in the evenings. I worry that I drink or eat too fast, in fact my pouch is telling me so right now. I did finally sleep on my side some last night which is a big deal! And I do feel like it gets better and easier, even if just a little, every day.

I already know this was the best decision I have ever made but sometimes it still doesn't feel real. I do know that things will continue to get better, for all of us! Thanks again for letting me lean on you all and I'm here to lean on too.

Thank you all so much for sharing. It is so helpful to know I'm not alone. I have felt the shame of not being able to control my weight. I have gone through the "What the hell did I do" moments. I have had trouble sleeping. But I know that others have made it through these things and I will too!

I'm not an emotional, feelings sharing type of guy ( read caveman) but this site has really helped. I'm 2 weeks out and I still deal with some pain around the big incision site, mostly in the evenings. I worry that I drink or eat too fast, in fact my pouch is telling me so right now. I did finally sleep on my side some last night which is a big deal! And I do feel like it gets better and easier, even if just a little, every day.

I already know this was the best decision I have ever made but sometimes it still doesn't feel real. I do know that things will continue to get better, for all of us! Thanks again for letting me lean on you all and I'm here to lean on too.

Hey from one Big Dude to another we got to be there for one another. I'm 4 weeks out and at times, your right, it doesn't seem real. But I am glad that I did this, and that we can lean on each other.

I went to the gym after my follow up appointment today. It felt great just knowing in the back of my mind that this time I will be successful because I got a new tool that I didn't have before!!! A brand new digestive system that won't let me have one of those, "What did I just do moment's????" This time failure is not an option, and that is encouraging!! :-) :-)