Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lucky # Sevens- July 07 Bandsters

Greetings Everyone:

It's been months since I've been on to see how everyone is doing. I can't believe all the success. WOW!!!!

I see so many familiar names that some of you may remember me. But, for those who don't a real quick refresher. I went in to have my lap band surgery on 7/16/07. There were complications and my esophagus and liver were punctured, so the doctor had to repair those and because of where the injury was, I was no longer a candidate for the lap band.

I had to heal for six months, and in the meantime I hadn't lost any weight and my co-morbidities were getting worse. (Diabetes, enlarged liver, Barretts esophagus, high blood pressure and high cholesterol).

Consequently, I went in for an open gastric bypass on February 6, 2008.

The Wednesday morning of the surgery they weighed me and I was 219.8 lbs. I was released late Saturday- 7:00pm- on the 9th and because of all the IV fluids, my release weight was 242.8 lbs. I was in shock.

At my first week check up I was 226 lbs. At my second week check up I was 209 lbs. and I am currently at 202 lbs.

I'm feeling better every day, but because I had had an open gall bladder surgery in the mid 1970's and then the laprascopic lap band attempt, I had a lot of scar tissue and as my doctor stated a longer scar than usual for the open bypass. But, at 54 years old, I don't plan on wearing a bikini when I get down to my ideal weight anyway.

So, in conclusion, I'm happy I did it. And wanted to let those of you who remembered me what I've been up to.

All your success is encouraging and an inspiration. Thanks again for listening and being there when I needed it.

Pris

'

MsPris, glad you wrote to tell us how you were doing... Open is not so bad, like you said at 54 our Bikini days are OVER!!!

Keep up the positive spirit!!:rolleyes2:

Well I am back from T.O. getting my (hopefully) last fill under fluro.

My Doc put in 1/2 cc... then 1 hour later the pain was intolerable and I was part way home on a 2 1/2 hour drive!!!

I called my surg. and he said to meet him at his office for a tiny de-fill. 1/4 cc out and I was fine again. Wow, the pain was horrible.. Never been STUCK on Water and spit before.

Anyway, this a.m. is good, ate oatmeal and it went down and stayed fine. no pain...

YEAH

Have a great day everyone

p.s. Stephanie, you didn't sound bad about your teaching job... we all have to let off steam... Just hang in there!! (((hugs)))

Peaches - So your band is now holding your fills - that's great - yep being to tight is a "B"

Karri - I would have said Volleyball pratice was my exercise :biggrin2: - you go girl .

Sonya - None of us are prefect 24/7 - I love pot pies - but once I found out how many calories are in them (yrs ago from WW) I refuse to touch them - even in my fat days - I haven't had one in years. Good Luck on your fill - hope it does the trick for you... I am scheduled to go to doc's on the 26th of this month - I seriously doubt I will get a fill - if I take a big sip of Water I get stuck - I miss guzzling Water :biggrin:

Jackie - Great on the Exercise :rolleyes2:- I am going to be babysitting Grandaughters tonight Wed & Thurs - so I don't know if I will be able to get to the gym on those days -but my little GD who's 4 likes to go for walks - so I plan on doing that for 2 reason - 1 exercise & 2 - to wear her little butt out - don't ask me how I am going to survive a 4 yr old for 2 nights. My whole routine is going to be a mess and for those who are in my age bracket you will totally understand. I love my peace & quite - and my little Brooke is far from being quite :biggrin: - she is at that WHY stage :frown:

Ok well I need to get my butt to work - I have a headache and upset stomach this morning - my legs were aching last night the dogs kept barking got up and had some liquid tyenol & vicoden (i mix them cuz straight vicoden is too much) didn't get to sleep til after midnight and I get up at 5:ohmy: - so today is going to be a long day - and I think I get DGD tonite cuz mom has to be in AZ tomorrow - OMG I can't keep things straight - I better give her a call..

Well - TTYL xoxo J

Good morning everyone,

I just got back from my pre-op appointment at my plastic surgeon office. Everything's looking good and on schedule for the 12th. I was booked to have surgery for 1pm, but there was a cancellation earlier that day, so I get to go in at 10am instead. That's good! I don't have to starve myself the entire day. :biggrin:

I also asked a question regarding Tummy Tuck and whether or not it is covered by insurance because of the under tummy rash I've inherited since losing weight. His nurse said that it *can* be, but most often there's only one insurance company that they deal with that they've not had too many problems with. She asked which one I had, I told her UHC, we just switched to that in Nov after being under BCBS, and she said "It's your lucky day. That's the company that very rarely denies our claims." :thumbup:So that's good news for the future. I'm certainly not ready to get it done now. I want to lose at least another 20lbs and get within 10 of my goal weight. But it gives me something to shoot for. :biggrin2:

I made the spaghetti squash recipe that Phyl posted in here last night. It was yum! I think I'll add a little something to the recipe though to spice things up. Since being banded I've noticed that I want things with heat and spice in them. Hubby and son enjoyed it too, and they didn't even realise it was good for them, lol.

Well, off to do house chores. *sigh* See you all a little later.

OMG:scared2::smile2::scared2:I am so sore today I can hardly move :cursing: The volleyball game went well last night...I had a diving save that scored us a point and gave me a prize floor burn on my knee!:biggrin: I love battle wounds. I have HUGE bruises on my wrists. Apparently I was passing the ball with the wrong part of my arms. Oh well more battle wounds to show that I actually did something.:thumbup: Oh and by the way WE KILLED EM!

So the reason that I am sore is from the biggest loser workout that I did and I started at beginner!!!!I am scheduled to do another one tonight and the thing that they kept repeating over and over and over again was to just keep pushing yourself even when you are sore because eventually you will work the soreness out, but I can barely go to the bathroom:blink:

I can already tell that today is going to be a struggle food wise. I didn't sleep well last night (even after all of that exercise) so I am exhausted today. I have really found that being tired is my worst food trigger. 6 days until fill...I can make it!!

Need to check my other threads and then get busy grading! Almost the end of the trimester, so it is crunch time for me and my kids. Fortunately I am gone Friday and Monday!!!!!

Good morning everyone,

I just got back from my pre-op appointment at my plastic surgeon office. Everything's looking good and on schedule for the 12th. I was booked to have surgery for 1pm, but there was a cancellation earlier that day, so I get to go in at 10am instead. That's good! I don't have to starve myself the entire day. :biggrin:

I also asked a question regarding Tummy Tuck and whether or not it is covered by insurance because of the under tummy rash I've inherited since losing weight. His nurse said that it *can* be, but most often there's only one insurance company that they deal with that they've not had too many problems with. She asked which one I had, I told her UHC, we just switched to that in Nov after being under BCBS, and she said "It's your lucky day. That's the company that very rarely denies our claims." :thumbup:So that's good news for the future. I'm certainly not ready to get it done now. I want to lose at least another 20lbs and get within 10 of my goal weight. But it gives me something to shoot for. :biggrin2:

I made the spaghetti squash recipe that Phyl posted in here last night. It was yum! I think I'll add a little something to the recipe though to spice things up. Since being banded I've noticed that I want things with heat and spice in them. Hubby and son enjoyed it too, and they didn't even realise it was good for them, lol.

Well, off to do house chores. *sigh* See you all a little later.

Ruby - Glad to hear you will get your booby fixed on the 12th - I hate the not eating after midnight - I don't get up as often as I use to - but the minute you tell me not to eat - I want to eat - I am very lucky not to have anyone watching me or telling me what I can or can't eat - I would do very bad even thought I would only be hurting myself by eating bad stuff - I don't think I have learned to control the rebel in me..

I forgort about the squash - I am going to have to make note to self to remember... I have a gf who had bypass and she too said that she is now in to flavor since she can't eat as much - I like hot stuff myself -

OMG:scared2::cursing::scared2:I am so sore today I can hardly move :ohmy: The volleyball game went well last night...I had a diving save that scored us a point and gave me a prize floor burn on my knee!:smile2: I love battle wounds. I have HUGE bruises on my wrists. Apparently I was passing the ball with the wrong part of my arms. Oh well more battle wounds to show that I actually did something.:tt2: Oh and by the way WE KILLED EM!

So the reason that I am sore is from the biggest loser workout that I did and I started at beginner!!!!I am scheduled to do another one tonight and the thing that they kept repeating over and over and over again was to just keep pushing yourself even when you are sore because eventually you will work the soreness out, but I can barely go to the bathroom:blink:

I can already tell that today is going to be a struggle food wise. I didn't sleep well last night (even after all of that exercise) so I am exhausted today. I have really found that being tired is my worst food trigger. 6 days until fill...I can make it!!

Need to check my other threads and then get busy grading! Almost the end of the trimester, so it is crunch time for me and my kids. Fortunately I am gone Friday and Monday!!!!!

Karri - You take after your band mommy - wanting to eat when you are overly tired :thumbup: But now that I am aware of it - I try not to get that way and you and I slept just as bad as i did last night - I am hating my job right now can't get anything done cuz everyone wants stuff yesterday... I am not feeling too hot - hope I am not getting sick...

Well it's lunch and I want to eat and get away from my desk - will ck back later - did i mention I hate my job.... I know positive affirmations - i hate my job - i hate my job- i am tired...

I am not miss smiley today... Thanks for letting me vent ...

Dear allaboutmefl, frustrated, indiogirl55, lindaa, salsa1877, jackie506 and peaches9:

I haven't quite figured out how to post your responses as quotes in my replies, but a big thank you to all of you who gave me input.

I don't remember who said they missed GUZZLING Water, but add me to the list. I've been the Ice Water queen my entire life. Boy do I miss that.

As far as my meds, as soon as I went home, I was off my metformin, lipitor and diovan and prevacid.

However, I do have to take a Centrum adult chewable Vitamin every day, along with 2 Tums EX and sublingual B-12.

The psych meds I'm supposed to be on are Risperdal - which I took myself off of 2 weeks before surgery, Zoloft and Klonopin. According to my doctor, I am not able to any longer swallow pills. They all have to be crushed or in elixor (sp) form. Risperdal - which I think I should go back on and the generic Zoloft, sertraline are also football shaped type pills and crusing them up in Jello is ridiculous. Even after they are crushed there is as much pill as Jello and so I just can't do it. It literally makes me gag.

I'm going to have to go to my PCP or call my pharmacist to see if either of those pills come in chewable or elixor form. The other option is to see how small the brand Zoloft is and maybe get my insurance to override the generic as the brand name being medically necessary.

I thoroughly enjoyed all your responses to my questions. It made me feel like I was not alone. And as strange as it seems at my age, I don't know anyone personally who has had a lap band or a gastric bypass.

So you great ladies are my sounding board, and lifeline as I go on this journey.

Thanks again for everything. Hugs and kisses!

Pris

Ruby - Glad to hear you will get your booby fixed on the 12th - I hate the not eating after midnight - I don't get up as often as I use to - but the minute you tell me not to eat - I want to eat - I am very lucky not to have anyone watching me or telling me what I can or can't eat - I would do very bad even thought I would only be hurting myself by eating bad stuff - I don't think I have learned to control the rebel in me..

I forgort about the squash - I am going to have to make note to self to remember... I have a gf who had bypass and she too said that she is now in to flavor since she can't eat as much - I like hot stuff myself -

Karri - You take after your band mommy - wanting to eat when you are overly tired :shades_smile: But now that I am aware of it - I try not to get that way and you and I slept just as bad as i did last night - I am hating my job right now can't get anything done cuz everyone wants stuff yesterday... I am not feeling too hot - hope I am not getting sick...

Well it's lunch and I want to eat and get away from my desk - will ck back later - did i mention I hate my job.... I know positive affirmations - i hate my job - i hate my job- i am tired...

I am not miss smiley today... Thanks for letting me vent ...

:blink::huggie: Big hugs for my mommy. I know what it is like to hate your job!!! I hope things went a little better for you the rest of the day. It is alright to not be smiley all the time. We would think you were a little odd if you didn't have your rants sometimes. I don't think that I could have a mom who was perfectly perky all the time...It would weird me out:biggrin2:

I think I overcame most of my food demons today. I had to come home and take a nap and now I am trying to convince myself to go to the gym. As you can see I am on here and not at the gym so I think I am losing this battle. It is just a weight training day and I have all the stuff I need at home so I may just do it here. I am just so sore. I know that I have to work through the pain right now, but DANG this body feels battered and beaten!

Well I am off to finish my dinner (going to have to post the recipe when I have more time cause it is yummy and healthy!)

Brandy - Breast Reductions are covered by insurance, I'm not paying for it. If it's not covered, I'm not doing it.

My insurance doesn't cover it! Only covers reconstruction surgery following masectomy due to cancer or accident.

AS OF TODAY

I AM OFFICALLY JUST OVER WEIGHT

I AM NO LONGER MORBITY OBESE

Congratulations, Janet!

Greetings Everyone:

Consequently, I went in for an open gastric bypass on February 6, 2008.

The Wednesday morning of the surgery they weighed me and I was 219.8 lbs. I was released late Saturday- 7:00pm- on the 9th and because of all the IV fluids, my release weight was 242.8 lbs. I was in shock.

At my first week check up I was 226 lbs. At my second week check up I was 209 lbs. and I am currently at 202 lbs.

So, in conclusion, I'm happy I did it. And wanted to let those of you who remembered me what I've been up to.

All your success is encouraging and an inspiration. Thanks again for listening and being there when I needed it.

Pris

Congratulations, Pris! So glad things finally worked out for you, you were our only member who had severe complications and we worried about you!

Sooooooooo......Guess what......I know I wasn't supposed to weigh until Saturday but:tt2:......I did anyways:tt2:.... and I AM IN THE 160's. 169.5 to be exact. :blink::thumbup::ohmy: I was so excited I almost peed my pants. It is a good thing that I had just gone to the bathroom or I just might have!:shades_smile:

Congratulations! It's so exciting isn't it!

Hi everyone! I've been really busy, getting stuff in order to get this house sold and get ready to move to Florida. It's an exciting time, but more stuff than you can imagine going on in my life at the moment.

But as far as weight loss, I'm thrilled! I keep losing slowly, but surely. Now i'm at 146.5 and ready to drop more this week. I'm getting close to goal!

Dear allaboutmefl, frustrated, indiogirl55, lindaa, salsa1877, jackie506 and peaches9:

I haven't quite figured out how to post your responses as quotes in my replies, but a big thank you to all of you who gave me input.

I don't remember who said they missed GUZZLING Water, but add me to the list. I've been the Ice Water queen my entire life. Boy do I miss that.

I thoroughly enjoyed all your responses to my questions. It made me feel like I was not alone. And as strange as it seems at my age, I don't know anyone personally who has had a lap band or a gastric bypass. So you great ladies are my sounding board, and lifeline as I go on this journey.

Thanks again for everything. Hugs and kisses!

Pris

Pris - To do the mulit quote - say you want to quote me, salsa, frustrated on mine you click on multi quote - on salsa you click multi quote and on frustrated you click on quote - yuo will get all 3 of our post in the reply box - then you go below my quote and type your response - then you go below salsas and type your response and same thing for frustrad and hit submit. if you want you can delete the portion that you aren't responding to like I did on yours above (by highlighting and deleting)

I am the one who misses guzzling water - i use to be able to drink a 16 oz glasse in one swoop - can't now have to take my time:crying:

Like Brandy said you are a July baby with us even though you had complications and ended up not getting banded - but you have done the next best thinge (in a banders eye:tongue: ) You still have weight issues and that's what this group is about - supporting each other. So don't stop posting just cuz you aren't banded.

:shades_smile::huggie: Big hugs for my mommy. I know what it is like to hate your job!!! I hope things went a little better for you the rest of the day. It is alright to not be smiley all the time. We would think you were a little odd if you didn't have your rants sometimes. I don't think that I could have a mom who was perfectly perky all the time...It would weird me out:biggrin2:

I think I overcame most of my food demons today. I had to come home and take a nap and now I am trying to convince myself to go to the gym. As you can see I am on here and not at the gym so I think I am losing this battle. It is just a weight training day and I have all the stuff I need at home so I may just do it here. I am just so sore. I know that I have to work through the pain right now, but DANG this body feels battered and beaten!

Well I am off to finish my dinner (going to have to post the recipe when I have more time cause it is yummy and healthy!)

Thanks Karri for the hug :blink:- some days I just don't like my job - I have been doing it so long its just the same old crap and I have to issue certificates (evidence of coverage from one contractor to another) well they are the BIGGEST PAIN IN THE ASS things to do. (sorry for cussing but I just had to cuz I HATE certs) It seems like your insured never gives you all the info you need to issue correctly the 1st time so you end up doing them 3 times - I want to yell at them STUPID we do this over and over again - you know i do have work to do - i am not sitting on my hands waiting for you to call me to redo certs all day long... I can't yell at them - but OMW i sure do want to some times...

As you know I didn't sleep well last night either - and had to really talk myself in to going to the gym tonite - But had to cuz I am having Grandaughters for the next 2 nights and don't think I will be able to get to the gym - and I was suppose to meet Phyl before support group for dinner - but cancelled cuz I really wanted to get my exercise in today (and didn't think that the support group was as important - really want to meet Phyl cuz she will be going home soon - but we are going to get together before she goes.) - since for the next 2 days - i will just be walking around my development

I think if you are sore you are suppose to give your muscle 48 rest between work outs - but I will find out - cuz guess who I talked to tonite - a TRAINER

well, last night as i was coming in he was leaving and I asked for his card - but was so busy never got to call him today - so tonite as I was leaving he was coming in and he put my name & # in his blackberry and said he would call me tomorrow - My plan is to work with him for 1 month (well gotta find out how much $$$) for maybe twice a week or whatever he suggest - I need to build some muscles and I want to do it correctly so that I am not intimidated by the machines. They say the more muscule you have the more calories you burn - so I want to burn baby burn those calories away.

After everyone talking about why they choose their weight - got me to thinking that maybe I should try for 145 - but I want to get to 160 first then I will see.

NSV to report - I walked for 2 miles straight at 4.0 on a 1 incline - I ususally do 1 or 2 songs at 3.9 or 4.0 - i even jogged for 7 10th of a mile so that I could say I did 2 miles in 30 minutes - but it was a bit much - I hope I didn't hurt my heels - but I am proud to say I did 2 15 minute miles.

AS OF TODAY

I AM OFFICALLY JUST OVER WEIGHT

I AM NO LONGER MORBITY OBESE

Congratulations, Janet!

Hi everyone! I've been really busy, getting stuff in order to get this house sold and get ready to move to Florida. It's an exciting time, but more stuff than you can imagine going on in my life at the moment.

But as far as weight loss, I'm thrilled! I keep losing slowly, but surely. Now i'm at 146.5 and ready to drop more this week. I'm getting close to goal!

Thanks Brandy !!!

OMW CONGRATS ON 146.5 that is awesome - way to go..

I bet you are really busy but sure glad you got a second to stop by - pop in and let us know how things are going..

Oh ya Karri we want to know what was yummy & healthy - I am having turkey meat loaf (made it last night) 1/2 c mash potatoes & green Beans.

OK Gang

Remember we talked about this in Dec - we were too late to do a secert Santa for Christmas - so I suggested that we do it for our 1 yr band anniversaies in July.

Well, July will be here before you know it - so I thought I would but it out there again who wants to particiapate????

Everyone who wants to do this email me Jwrightpim@aol.com your address and band date - then once everyone has done that I will tell everyone who their person is and give them the info - and the deal is that you send them a little anniversary present for their 1 yr band anniversary...

What dollare limit do you want to put on the gift???

-------------------------------------------------------------------'

OK I am hungry it's 7:30 - I am going to go eat - I'll ck back later.

For dinner I had my crustless pizza again, but this time it was much better.

Pizza sauce:

1 can of Tomato sauce

lots of oregano (as much as you want)

lots of basil (as much as you want)

3-4 cloves of garlic minced as fine as you can get it

"Crust"

I use chicken that I grind myself, but you could use any meat.< /p>

Mix with a little of the pizza sauce

Flatten it very thin in the bottom of baking dish. Depending on how much meat you have will determine how big of a dish you should use. Last time I did it in a square baking dish. This time I did it in the big 9x13 glass baking dish.

Sprinkle any herbs you want on top. (I did italian seasoning and garlic salt)

Bake in the oven until the chicken is done (10-15 minutes depending on the thickness.

Add the rest of the pizza sauce (or as much as you want)

Then top with your favorite toppings: I had onions, green peppers, mushrooms and turkey pepperoni (honestly couldn't tell the difference!)

Top with low fat cheese (I use the new weight watchers cheese and it is really good!)

Calories: Each 4 ounces of lean chicken is 100 calories (I think I used a little under 1 full pound but forgot to measure so I will count it as a full pound), and the cheese is 90 calories for 1/3 of a cup (which is what I used on the entire pizza). I think the pizza sauce is 70 calories total for the entire amount, and the turkey pepperoni is 70 calories for 15 pieces ( I used 30 on the entire thing). So obviously the amount of calories depends on the toppings and amounts that you use. This is a very healthy modified version from my Atkins days.

Before I made this with a mixture of hamburger and italian sausage, full fat cheese, pepperoni, canadian bacon, sometimes bacon, and everything else that is not healthy. And to tell you the truth, the veggie toppings are so yummy on their own that I REALLY can't tell the difference and this was a staple in my diet on Atkins. Healthy really can taste good. I did see that they had low fat canadian bacon so if you like that you could do a ham and pineapple pizza too.

I also make a chicken meatloaf tonight but I haven't tried it so I don't know how that worked out. Will let you know tomorrow.

I did my workout at the gym. It really did help my muscles feel better. Who knows how they will feel in the morning.

Nighty night.

OK Gang

Remember we talked about this in Dec - we were too late to do a secert Santa for Christmas - so I suggested that we do it for our 1 yr band anniversaies in July.

Well, July will be here before you know it - so I thought I would but it out there again who wants to particiapate????

Everyone who wants to do this email me Jwrightpim@aol.com your address and band date - then once everyone has done that I will tell everyone who their person is and give them the info - and the deal is that you send them a little anniversary present for their 1 yr band anniversary...

What dollare limit do you want to put on the gift???

-------------------------------------------------------------------'

OK I am hungry it's 7:30 - I am going to go eat - I'll ck back later.

P.S. - FOR KARRI & STEPH -(and anyone else who isnt a july baby but post here) we will use your actual date - but change the month to july - cuz you guys are Lucky#7's - so you have to particiapte too (well if you want)...