Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1 Year Post Surgery Check-In

Hello Guys,

I just hit the 1 year anniversary of my gastric sleeve surgery. I thought I would drop in and say "hi", as well as post a few comments on my experience. I do not post often, almost not at all, but I have really enjoyed reading others comments and posts and have found them to be helpful. If anything, it has been nice to read about other similar experiences and concerns.

First, I would like to say that I am very happy that I made the choice to have weight loss surgery. I don't think I could have lost weight without it. I did not have any serious health issues before having the surgery, but I was over 400lbs, so issues like diabetes were probably just around the corner. Things have not always been easy, but I am very pleased with where I am at this point. 1 year from my surgery and I am down to 241lbs from my pre-surgery weight of 411lbs. That's 170lbs lost.

What has that meant to me:

• Blood sugar, cholesterol all in great ranges.
  • I am very active now (no more couch potato)
    • I've become a gym rat and am going twice a day most days, in the morning and after work.
    • I bought a bike and go trail riding often, on weekends I will tally around 20-25 miles of riding in one day.
    • Ran my first 5K ever on Halloween weekend. Plan to do more as I want to improve on my time.
    • Resting heart rate is in the low 50s from all the cardio. (Down from the high 70s before surgery).
    • Love Tabata and HIIT training. Great for short intense workouts that really work up a sweat. Look it up on the internet.
    • Started doing Muay Thai kickboxing again. Loved this 20 years ago when I was younger and lighter and am now getting back into it as the old guy.
  • Much more sex with my wife :)
  • Can now buy clothes at normal stores and don't have to go to the Big Mens store or sections anymore.
  • People look at me differently and first impressions are much better. Not that I really cared about this before.
  • Just generally feel better and less tired.

What have I had issues with over the last year:

• Vitamin D keeps coming up just a little low, so upping supplementation.
  • Still eat too fast at times (about once a month or so). This causes a very full feeling, sometimes causing me to throw up (or throwing up on purpose to give relief).
  • Some joint issues in shoulders and knees from fitness activities. This has caused me to scale back on weight lifting and adapt some of my cardio routine. No more heavy lifting and have moved from treadmill to rowing machine.
  • Still miss being able to chow down on a big sub sandwich.
  • Going out to dinner isn't as fun.
  • Extra skin. Gonna have to get a lower body lift at some point to take care of this.

All this being said, the positives far outweigh the negatives. I got through my down times where I get sick of logging food in MyFitnessPal, or just don't feel like going to the gym. I've had to discover new ways of relaxing as most of my previous activities involved food. Now I bike ride, go to the gym, I even like to just go to a mall and window shop. I'm still trying to figure these things out.

I feel great though and love the fact that I don't get out of breath going up stairs. I take a little pleasure when I see people who are thinner than me struggle with activities that I can do, like the 5K I ran recently. I also like that fact that while my kids have always loved me, I know they are proud of what I have done so far. I fit in better with me wife and kids because thankfully non of them have weight issues.

Well, that's my one year story. I appreciate you getting this far in my long post and hope this helps some of you as your posts have helped me. I am still a work in progress and have about 30lbs to get to my goal weight. The weight comes off much slower now, how I miss the 5-10lb drops from early on after surgery. Now there are long plateaus and 1-2lb drops. But for the last 5 months I have averaged about 1-2lbs a week. Take care and I will post again when I hit my goal weight. Best advise I can give is not to dwell on the food you can't eat anymore (or the amounts), cheating every now and then is okay, just pick yourself up and keep moving.

Be active,

Techynerd

Wow..what an inspiration you are! Congrats on all your success and improved health..and a happier wifey:) I am in my beginning process. Haven't gotten my surgery date yet but it will be in January. Can't wait to post all my accomplishments as well. God bless you hun as you continue your journey!:)

thank you for your wonderful post! i love the way you mention the things you had trouble with as well as the things that are better... so real, and so helpful.

congratulations on your continued success.

Wow, what a fabulous post!

Thank you for that.

So happy for your success!!!! :)

My hubby is in the process of getting approval for surgery. SO HOPE he gets it and has success like you have had!

Looking forward to the "sex" part especially ;):D

Blessings,

Kathleen

Techynerd, it sounds like we have adopted similar post surgical lifestyles in regards to being active. I am training for my first 5K run (in over 15 years) on Thanksgiving. I get to the gym 5-6 times a week and participate in a variety of fairly intense cardio workouts. I run 2-2.5 miles on the treadmill about 3x per week and do a lot of rowing on the ergometer. I attend 2 cycling classes each week.

I have hit a stall for the last month. I have lost 90 pounds in 6 months and hit a wall. I know I'm eating correctly and definitely being very active. I record my food in MFP and take in about 1500-1700 per day. My Bodymedia fitness monitor says I usually burn about 3000 per day. I should be losing. What did you do when you hit these stalls?

Congratulations on your success. I wish you long term successful consistency.

Congrats that's Amazing????

That's awesome to hear. I am 35 yrs old and weigh 423. I don't have any health problems "yet" but I am getting sleeved on Dec. 16. Looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing!

Great job! How tall are you? I'm 6'2" and wonder at what weight I will fit into size 38's...the non big and tall department. I'm down to 44's from 56's in 5 months. Pant size drops seem to come quicker now with less weight loss. I can hardly "weight"!

Edited by Camarolegend

Camarolegend- Great work, keep it up. I am 5'11" and was thrilled when I didn't have to shop at Big and Tall stores anymore. As a matter of fact I have gone a little clothes shopping crazy. I am in between a 40 and 42 waist. 42s give me a little slack, but 40s are just a hair too tight. I am wearing an XL shirt, which is down from the 5XL shirts I was wearing before surgery.

Your doing fantastic for 5 months out. You'll be wearing those 38s in no time.