Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When will I start feeling a little more normal

My name is Ruth and am 2 1/2 weeks post op gastric bypass. They also discovered a "giant" hernia which had to be repaired at the same time (apparently most of my stomach was in my chest cavity). It's hard to discern what's "normal" at this point in time. I find my abdomen more sensitive than it was. It feels harder (for lack of a better word) around incisions and almost as if I need something to hold my stomach in place. Still on pain meds and trying not to use Dilaudid any longer so I can have more energy for exercise, etc. Gas pains have only just begun to decrease, thank God for that! Frickin' painful.... Fluid intake is good but I have to watch and make sure I get enough, likewise with Protein.

Can someone help me with what's "normal" or within parameters of what's to be expected. For example, abdominal tenderness get's more severe as incisions start to heal???

Hope some of that made sense....

Ruth, your surgery was more extensive than mine. All I can say is that in my case I was surprised about how long it took the scars to heal. I think it took over 6 months. The incision sites may have been tender for a few weeks but that was over a year ago and my memory isn't so sharp on that point. What I hated the most was the self injections of Lovenox to prevent blood clots. That medicine caused me major bruise marks that were slow to heal. But after I finished the Lovenox injections, things improved.

It took me 6 months to reach my happy state, when all the issues seemed to melt away. I wouldn't say getting back to normal because as a result of surgery, many of my medical conditions went into remission. I am 66 years old and my stamina (ability to do physical labor) is now more like when I was 35 years old. I might use the term new normal.

Ruth, your surgery was more extensive than mine. All I can say is that in my case I was surprised about how long it took the scars to heal. I think it took over 6 months. The incision sites may have been tender for a few weeks but that was over a year ago and my memory isn't so sharp on that point. What I hated the most was the self injections of Lovenox to prevent blood clots. That medicine caused me major bruise marks that were slow to heal. But after I finished the Lovenox injections, things improved.

It took me 6 months to reach my happy state, when all the issues seemed to melt away. I wouldn't say getting back to normal because as a result of surgery, many of my medical conditions went into remission. I am 66 years old and my stamina (ability to do physical labor) is now more like when I was 35 years old. I might use the term new normal.

Thank you James. I'm 60 and insecure about healing abilities. I don't recognize my body (how it feels) to know what I should be concerned about. I'm also grieving food as I knew it. Sounds crazy but I loved food and still trying to wrap my brain around a new lifestyle that it is imperative that I embrace. One cookie not 6 mentality. I'm still on pureed diet and I so miss a piece of toast!

Anyway, I know I'll get there but it's still a tad scary.

Ruth

My surgery went well. However my recovery hit some bumps. I ended up after a week with pneumonia and a small PE. Admitted for a day and a half. Went home, went to the doctor after 4 days and she threatened to readmit me if I did not have someone take care if me 24 hours a day for the next 5 days. My don came back home( he lives 1100 miles away) and took care of me. Hydrated and renourished me. I was still weak when he left but was on a better path of wellness.

So my recovery was put back due to the dehydration.

Get someone to come in and show them the plan. Make them make you drink an ounce if Water and an ounce if Protein Drink every 15 minutes.

You will thank them for your life. And it takes about 4 days if care.