Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping syndrome! Help!

I'm going thru my first bout with dumping right now! It hurts so bad, I don't know how to get thru it :( I had a little bit of sugar free pudding with a little spoonful of sugar free cool whip on top, and 20 min later I was feeling cramps...it subsided and I ended up falling asleep but I just woke up with wicked pain right in the middle of my belly....have the shakes and sweats, my heart is pounding, I threw up a little but and had a little of the diarrhea.....omg has anyone ever had this from sugar free pudding???

Wow haven't heard of dumping from sugar free foods. Will pray for relief for you.

I agree, I haven't really heard of this from sugar free foods. There is a possibility that you have become lactose intolerant. I know right after surgery I handled dairy alright, but about a week out I started on the same general thing. I switched to using almond milk for everything and it was fine. This was only a temporary thing which is true of a lot of people who experience this with the surgery. It is not uncommon.

As far as handling your current bout, you really just need to let it run its course. I do highly recommend that you drink plenty of fluids if you can keep it down. Watered down 50/50 zero calorie gatorade or Powerade is best. If that does not work then just Water. If the symptoms keep on until morning without lessening then you need to go to the doctor immediately. It could be a sign of something else. For now it does just sound like dumping syndrome.

I know it sucks, we have all been through it at one time or another. Keep strong. If you need anything else at all feel free to reach out to me at one of the links below.

Thanks for the support! I am so much better now, but it lasted for a few hours. I never want to feel that again :( I'm glad I stocked up on almond milk before my surgery tho lol

Wow. I remember dumping. Man that hurts. Thought I was going to die. It ran its course in an hour or two. Hopefully that never happens again. For me, its Pasta and bread. Have a great day.

I have experienced symptoms like this with other non-sugar/sugar-free foods. It could be that your tummy just really did not tolerate that well at all. There are a few things I've tried that made me feel so sick, I will never be able to eat them again. The best behavior modification ever!

@@alibye, I don't think it was that lol, it def tasted like the sugar free, blah lol. Hope you all have a great day as well!

After surgery i couldn't tolerate artificial sweeteners..actually have to use real sugar which works for me because my diabetes is now gone and blood sugars are to low..the real sugar stabilizes me..

I'm actually wondering if real sugar might not be so bad for me too. I can suck on sugar free throat drops, and I like sugar free popsicles, but most of the other stuff has been bothering me.

You can dump from sugar free foods sometimes because they use sugar alcohols in place which will make you dump just like sugar if you are prone to dumping. I found that out one night with sugar-free Italian ice :/

Luckily I haven't dumped since, but that was so horrible! I have stayed away from the pudding and cool whip, but I do have a sugar free popsicle or a no sugar added Italian ice every night. Yesterday I had a few chocolate covered strawberries, made with regular milk chocolate and I was totally fine. I guess we just have to keep track of and learn what our new tummy likes :)

Hello I'm post op 15 years sugar dumping is caused by all kinds of things just because it say no sugar add dosnt mean sugar free. Even sugar free has sugar alcohol witch may cause dumping.

Wow!!! I don't mean to hijack your post OP, but 15 years post op!!!! @gailyates I'd live to hear anything u have to say. Please post your experience ????

I selected this post at random as I hang out suffering from vomiting & stomach pain for the 2nd day. I haven't eaten anything new aside from turkey, but I feel so miserable. So maybe it's just dumping but totally different then I anticipated based on the descriptions that the doctors office gave us.