Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just had GB on Oct 31 2014. I am still in so much pain!

I'm 38, 5'7" starting weight was 253. I weighed myself this morning (post op 6 days) and I'm at 248. I've struggled for years, like all of us to lose weight. I went through the approval and preop process 8 years ago but was rejected for being 9lbs too light. I couldn't bring myself to gain 9 pounds so I quit. After another 8 years of my weight going up and down and then finally gaining 30 pounds in a year I decided I'd had enough. I gained the additional weight I knew I needed just to pass (40 BMI) and started the process again. I was still really nervous; not sure if such a permanent change was a good idea. Now, with all this pain I'm still not sure I made the right decision.

I opted to have my excluded stomach completely removed. I'm wondering if that is what's causing the pain. I have 5 incision sights and only one hurts. And it hurts bad! It's tender to the touch and feels like it's on fire when I move. I've broken down in tears over it several times. Anyone else have this? I keep reading how great everyone is feeling postop.

Other than that, eating and drinking are not a problem. I'm passing gas although not as much as I would like; I still get gas pains. No seeping or draining and no fever. Anyone have advice? I'd love to hear it.

Have you called your doctor? The only place I had any sharp pain was my left mid quad. My doctor said most pts hurt there. However what you are describing sounds bad. I've never heard of having the option of removing the portion of the stomach. What were the risk/benefit ofc doing that?

I was not given the option of removing the discarded stomach either. I know from past experience with other cuts and wounds that I had, If it is hot to the touch, it is possible infected. Something I don't think you want to chance, I'd call your surgeon.

Best of luck and wishing you a quick recovery.

I called my liaison (the LVN in the doctor's office) yesterday and told her. She wants to he from me again tomorrow to see if it's gottwn any better. In the absence of a fever or drainage I'm guessing it may be ok.

I had asked post op wht the stomach was lect behind. It seemed to me to be counterproductive to leave an organ I'm not using. The stomach secretes a hormone for hunger and produces acid which can cause ulcers. It was for those reasons I opted to have it removed. The risk is that if I ever need a feeding tube since it cant be put into my stomach it will have to be inserted elsewhere.

Remember that the surgeon had to cut through muscle to get to where he needed to be. I to had 5 incisions. (Also remember these are deep cuts). The one that have me the most pain was the one he had to put the drain into, so it was a little larger. The passion sick around for me for a couple weeks. No fever or discharge, just painful. Take advantage of the passion needs they give you. Stay ahead of the pain and get plenty of rest. Your body has just went through major surgery. I wouldn't be concerned unless you notice discharge, a foul odor, or ran a fever.

Love auto correct. The pain stuck around for a couple weeks.

Thank you so much! My worst fear is that they'll have to cut me open again. I posted here hoping for some encouragement and relief since I'm really stressed out.

I did sleep nearly all day today because I felt like I needed it. I am hoping tomorrow I will feel at least a little better.

Thank you again!

Sorry to hear your feeling down Jenn, i'll send you an invisible hug to help you feel better, they work for my family when we can't hug each other. i hope your whizzing round soon ;)

Yes it did. I was in pain for several more days. Then I only had pain when I moved a certain way. Now, and for the past several weeks I feel no pain. Thank you!

Just wanted to chime in about having discarded stomach removed. I also choose to have mine removed, my Dr said he did not like the thought of leaving a dead peice tissue in the body.