Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Case Manager - did you have one?

I've been pretty frustrated by the lack of coordination between my surgeon's office and all the other docs I've had to see. Luckily I'm a nurse practitioner (yes, health professionals get fat too). If I didn't know how to advocate for myself and how to navigate all the hurdles I probably would be waiting forever to get a surgery date. I considered changing programs but knew I'd have to start all over again, so I stuck with this practice. The doc is great but his office staff needs much to be desired.

Example - they sent me a note saying I needed a breath test for h pyelori ( the bacteria some people have in their stomach that causes ulcers). When I called to ask why, since my endoscopy and barium swallow showed no signs of ulcers, she said "well it's required pre-op." They could have taken this test when I had the endoscopy, but since the requisition didn't have it checked, and I had no problems with ulcers, they didn't do it. I pointed out to the docs office staff that I was on Omeprazole so the test would be falsely negative. "Don't worry about that" she says. " Ijust need to be able to check it off as done." Seriously???

There are more - I could go on, but you all get the drift, I'm sure.

I plan on discussing this at length with my surgeon, telling him I would never recommend his practice because of this weakness, despite what a good surgeon he is.

Anyway, I was wondering how many of you have a case manager at your surgeon's office? Someone who keeps track of your progress, helps you with appointments, etc. not someone who just needs to check off a box, but someone who can answer question intelligently.

You, more than most have good reason to be frustrated with the idiotic reasoning for many of the required tests and the disorganized manner of scheduling.

However, It's likely more about the insurance companies throwing in roadblocks to provide them with avenues to deny applications. <_<

The coordinators just routinely go along filling out and submitting the apps and you're probably better off just strictly complying as to not disrupt the process which could detail your chances of approval.

Just smile and jump thru the hoops. The new skinny you is at the end of the tunnel..... ;)

@@Kate M I am sorry that you've had to experience this. I can certainly imagine the frustration that you are dealing with, because I know I would be horrified myself.

I currently do have a case manager at my surgeon's office. I see her for a few minutes right before each one of my doctor's appointments. She goes over everything we've done so far, and let's me know if there are things that I still need to do. She was very proactive when it came to making sure all my pre-op stuff was done. She even contacted a sleep doctor, and in turn that doctor's office called me to set up my first sleep therapy appointment. I was shocked (in a good way).

I don't know if its because my program is at one of the leading Centers for Excellence in Bariatrics in the United States, but I've never felt more comfortable and secure than I do right now.

I pray that things turn around for the better. All this stress is the last thing that you need at this time.

Don't get me started on Coordinators. My Doc's usual coordinator went on vacation close to the end of my waiting period and another one took over. After many extra months of delays, tests having to be done over, numerous un-returned phone calls and lots of frustration.......she finally said everything was in order and submitted the paperwork. Two weeks later I got a call from the coordinator that had been on vacation (she was back) to tell me my application had been denied. After apologizing, she suggested that she redo the application and re-submit it again. - Two days later it was approved. Two weeks later I had my surgery.

What's my point......I don't really have one....shit happens.......Just don't give up..... ;)

My surgical center has a coordinator. She is awesome. Calls to check on me, my progress, is there to answer any questions I have. I was referred to the office by 2 good friends, so I expected good things.

My surgeon's office has about three different people I can talk to. I prefer to talk to just one so I only deal with the original coordinator who started the process with me. I mostly speak with her via email (which works well for both of us!) and she gets back to me with all my crazy questions really quickly.

I worked in a centralized patient appointing and referral management office for almost 12 years and I know how it is to get the run around and have things not go through as expected. It was just as frustrating to me as it was the patient (I was a supervisor) because I'm left with cleaning up someone else's mess to accommodate the patient....and usually being cursed out before that smh. One of my pet peeves is bad customer service. If more of the people in these positions would think like the patient they may get it done right the first time!

The surgical staff took care of everything. It is a Center of Excellence, as someone else noted, if that makes a difference. I was fortunate to have an issue free experience. Hope yours improves