Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Cardiac Stress Test.

Had my stress test today.

They shaved my chest, four little round holes. They dry shaved it.

Ouch. Then the woman used real, honest to goodness sandpaper on my four bare spots. Ouch. Then she poured alchohol on the four red, tender, sanded, bare spots. Ouch!

B-tch!

Then the other woman was stupid enough to ask me why my heart rate suddenly spiked up by twenty beats a minute.

They hooked me up to wires and made me walk on a treadmill that inclined more and went faster until I was afraid I was gonna die. Then they increased the incline and the speed until I was afraid I WASN'T gonna die.

I seem to recall hearing the Doc say it was all good, but I was wheezing so loud I couldn't be sure. He finally repeated that I didn't have any blockages, and that the test showed a heart healthy enought to go through the surgery.

That's good. Now, I've gotta find some lotion for my chest.

Whip,

glad to hear your healthy after all of that. Bet your getting excited by now. I know I would be. Hows Patty? How much weight did she loose all togather?

Patty's lost over 260 pounds since her surgery. She's finally under two hundred, and she's pleased as punch about it.

Her health and pain challenges continue, but she, and I, fight on. We laugh a lot. Laughter is the most powerful form of defiance.

Congratulations to Patty!

When I did my stress test, the nurse asked if I was okay because I looked so worried. I was just holding on for dear life, afraid I would fly off the end of the treadmill. At least they didn't have to shave my chest! :cool:

So glad the stress test was clear, even though it was "stressful"! LOL My DH always preshaves before he gets thre. When I did mine, I sat down and dry heaved in a trash can afterwards. I was told I had a very "unconditioned heart". I guess that went along w/ the rest of my unconditioned body. You'll be so happy how some weight loss and continued exercise will change all that (for the good!)!:cool:

One step at a time, you are getting there.

I hate stress tests, I had one in 1998 and the treadmill didn't kill me, but the cuff they had on my arm hurt so bad, when it was over my arm was black and blue for two weeks. I kept telling them it was really hurting and they kept saying it's almost over.

So, what other tests do you have to do yet?

Keep us posted!

Originally posted by Iluvharleys

So, what other tests do you have to do yet?

Keep us posted!

Today I go for a ct scan at 1:30, an ECG at 2:30, and the nutrition class at 2:45.

Then my next visit with the surgeon to go on my protien diet on the 29th.

And, finally another endoscopy on Nov. 4.

Whew!

Been to the doctor on an average of once every nine years since I was eighteen. Usually for broken bones and stitches. This is more medical attention than I like. But, it will be okay.

Am I getting excited? Yes.

I'm a little surprised by how unsupportive I feel my wife is being. I took six days off work for the surgery, and with my regular days off it means I'll have ten days after surgery to recouperate enough to go back the day after Thanksgiving.

Now I have tons of time (hundreds of hours) that is paid time off, and although my job is really easy (the heaviest thing I lift is an ink pen) I felt that the ten days wasn't overboard as to time off.

Patty thinks I should go back to work as soon as possible. Don't know where that's coming from, but it rankles a bit. I have always taken the position that whatever she decides for HER body I will be behind her 100 percent. Wish she did the same for me. She suggested that I have the surgery on the 16th, and since my regular days off are the 17th and 18th I could go back on the 19th. I think it's too early.

You folks who have gone through it, what do you think?

Ryan - I haven't went through it yet, but I did let my boss know I would be back when I felt it was time. I am not going to take any chances. Everyone bounces back different. I had my gallbladder out and was back in three days, but when I said that to the doctor, he also told me I was younger then, and this surgery is a little more painful than the gallbladder. So, I am going to play it by ear as they say and take it a day at a time. I hope you do the same, and take care of you. If you have the time, by all means take a few extra days.

Ryan, I would think it best to have the option to be off just in case you don't feel so hot. Lots of folks feel just fine, but some take it a little slower than others. I had surgery on a Friday and returned to work on the following Wednesday. I flew home from Mexico 2 days after surgery and it was pretty tiring, but I had been sick post-op. If I were you I'd take an additional day or two, just in case.

I can't believe they sanded your chest! And then poured alcohol on it, whew! Do ya think they just get jaded after a while and forget how it feels on our end? Glad your test results were positive. Soon you'll be steppin' lighter, my friend.

OUCH OUCH OUCH!!! Poor baby...

After all you've been through, you deserve to take all that time off! My surgery was on a Thursday and I went back to work on a Monday (same kind of challenges you have... That pen is SO heavy!! lol). I made it through, but I would have MUCH rather been laying on the couch the first two weeks. I think you've made a smart decision, and you SHOULD take the time off.

Ignore dear Patty - smile indulgently, say, "I know, but I'm NOT gonna..." lol

Good Lord, Ryan!!! That sounds like a torture chamber instead of a stress test! Sanded your chest and poured alcohol on it?!?! It's a wonder your fist didn't start flying!!!

Ummm....Maybe Patty just doesn't get that being banded is having major surgery? After all she has gone through, the thought of Lapband surgery may seem more like a pin prick to her. Maybe she just needs more time and information to put it in the right perspective. Or, she may be making it out to be a minor thing so you won't know that she is really scared and concerned for you. When the time comes, I bet she'll be 100% behind you, too.

Good luck with the rest of your tests!

Originally posted by Iluvharleys

Everyone bounces back different. I had my gallbladder out and was back in three days, but when I said that to the doctor, he also told me I was younger then, and this surgery is a little more painful than the gallbladder.

Really? Wow I had my gallbladder out and it took me a good week and a half to get over that! My banding I was up and around that night and especially the next day!! I guess your right everyone is different!

Ryan-congrats on finishing your chest-I mean test! Ouch, I am surprised your heart rate only went up 20 beats per minute! Also congrats to Patty that's an amazing loss! Was she banded?? How long ago??

Katie

Hang in there, Patty will come around sooner than you think. Maybe there are other things bothering her. Or maybe she suffers from the same thing I struggle with, she thinks her man should be made of steel and show no weeknesses. The suck it up attitude tries to sneak it's way in my thoughts with Tom all the time thanks to my Dad.

Tom get something like 8 weeks of vacation time every year. It seems unnatural to me for a man to stay home that much, but Tom works as little as possible. Being raised around a man that got 1-2 weeks of vacation per year it's forein territory to me to have a man at home. I have to admit it has it's benefits.

It's a good thing you have the option of taking that much time off. I would be doing the same thing.