Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who wants to come to a party?

A pity party, that is. Ha, I tricked you! Okay, I need to whine and complain for a few minutes and then I promise to tell you what I'm going to do different.

I am a month out from surgery and lost around 15 pounds the first week and a half. Went into that wonderful stall that we all complain about and after 2 weeks of that, I started losing again. Oh, but only 3lbs over a few days and then it stopped again. I track every bite I eat and I'm under 1000 calories every day. Do I sometimes have something I shouldn't? I certainly do, but I write it down. I have also been exercising 4-5 days per week. Before surgery, I would have dropped weight eating at this level of calories and exercising. It's so frustrating to see the scale stuck. It's frustrating to see others lose 30 pounds their first month. I know I shouldn't weigh myself every day and I shouldn't compare myself to others but I do...

So I just went back to work today and I'm using this as an opportunity to be more structured with my meals. I'm going to continue to exercise and set small goals so I don't get so wrapped up in the number on the scale.

here's my initial thought: whenever we first go on a diet, we lose quickly. i have always found there is weight that comes off easily because of the large amount i have to lose. call it "Water weight" or whatever, it's just a fact. you've already lost that weight, with your pre-op and post-op diets. that could be the reason your loss has slowed.

are you eating enough to support your workouts?

@jessiquoi That's a good question. Right now I'm walking and doing the elliptical which is challenging but not strenuous workouts. But I don't see how it's possible to eat more than 1000 calories right now unless I ate slider foods that I should not be eating. I'm still only able to get 1-2 ounces at a time. Could I do better with getting Protein? I sure could but I've lost faster in the past with a much bigger stomach. I just keep waiting for the dam to break and the pounds to just start dropping and that hasn't happened. I also have the fear that I'm eating too much (which is why I'm so strict about writing down every bite) and that's not it.

If feeling sorry for myself burned calories, I would probably have lost 40lbs this month. I'm just sayin...

The only choice I have is to keep on keeping on and try to trust the process. But I'm telling you, right now my sleeve is outside the circle of trust... LOL

How many oz of Water are you getting in daily?

Are you willing to bump down your calories per day? When you said less than 1000 it caught my attention. I'm only a week out and still on full liquids, but, even when I get on to stages 3 and 4 I don't see in my meal plan where I will be eating anything close to 1000 calories. 600-800 at best. Again, because I'm still a newbie I may be blowing smoke about what I'm "gonna" do and what should be happening when I do it. So, I'm not attempting to give advice because I lack real life experience. I'm just coming from my book-study standpoint of the meal plan. Try bumping down 100 calories per day. Stay true to your meal plan eating your Proteins first, then veggies and the fruit if you have room left. Drink, at least, 64oz, etc. BTW, your exercise routine sounds great. I can't wait till I can develop a routine like that.

Good luck, stay strong & be well..

only 3lbs over a few days and it stopped again. track every day

@@*Lexie*

ahhhh man

I'm really upset :angry:

I got so excited after reading first few sentences of you post :) ...

i ran and grabbed my PJ's, pillow , Teddy Bear, Water bottle and of course my chocolate raspberry Quest Protein bar!!

told hubby he had to fend for himself

then you tell me your kidding :wacko:

ok give me a minute i just got my kleenex tissues

ok, starting to feel "alittle" better

more composed

i still think you added 10 year to my life

ok, ok - put my silly pills away :D

back to more imprtant things YOU

did you forget one of the most important basic rules in sleeveland....,.

never, never, never, EVER compare your weight loss to someone else!!! :angry:

we're allllll different in our weight loss, how long it takes to loose weight

you might want to hide that stupid scale too

weigh yourself weekly

you can't compare yourself to mary who lost 15.1 lbs her first coule of weeks - and you who "ONLY" lost 15 lbs ;)

the word "ONLY" should be delete by Mrs. Webster!!

as long as "it" (the weight) all comes together/off at the end

you and mary have reached their goal/success, weight loss

doesn't matter who gets there first!!!

this is a marathon, not a sprint!!!

"God Grant Me Patience Just Hurry Up About It!!!"

you know you are experiencing that dreaded stall

get over it :D

even if weight loss stops and stall comes back again for an unwanted visit :angry:

I'm sure you are following the "rule book" right??

64 oz of water

don' drink for a 1/2 hour before you eat

never drink while you are eating

don't drink for 45-60 minutes after you eat

(if you have a NUT, those #s might be alterred)

eat Protein first

measure your food

chew your food slowly

put your utensil down and "rest" before the next bite

don't eat so fast - food is not going anywhere

eat on a smaall plate

other rules too, above are most important i can think of right now

at one month I didn't experiment with any "bad" foods like pizza :(

not even few bites :(

much later, i would/could take an extra bite (or two or three....) here and there

like pizza

but not at one month

later you will be are allowed to eat that small piece or so of any food, but not yet :(

at one month i was eating about 600/700 calories

of course if your NUT tells you differently follow her rules

don't get discouraged, please <_<

as far as the unintended lecture above

you derserved it after renigging on your invitation!!!!

you are a great person (don't let it go to your head!!)

i see the determination and strength in your beautiful eyes :rolleyes:

i know you can and will be successful :)

good luck :)

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

Don't get discouraged! I had my surgery about the same time as you, 5 weeks tomorrow and I've lost 20lbs post op, about 4 lbs a week, so we are not that far off from each other. We are going to have good days/weeks and bad days/weeks. Seems like when I'm stuck in a stall, I consume more protien, Water and calories to get it started again. I usually eat about 700 to 900 calories a day. Hang in there!

As an avid and rabid exerciser I consume pretty close to 1200 calories most days. I was told by my nutritionist at a month out that I should be between 800 and 1200 calories a day. I find I lose more consistently when I am closer to that 1200 calories as opposed to the 800. Having said that, that is just me. My body. You need to experiment and find out what works for you. Your body. And fret not. Every time this happens where I stall I immediately panic and think my sleeve is not working. Then I lose weight and all is right with the world again. LOL.

@

@@LAG50

I don't always get 64 ounces of Water but I do try. As for calories, I'm typically in the 600's but sometimes 700-800 depending on the day. I had one day that was close to a thousand. I am willing to lower my calories but it will mean that I won't hit my Protein goal.

@@proudgrammy

Thank you for your great feedback. I have been following the rules. I haven't had any pizza or anything like that. I've had a few painful experiences that has taught me to be wary about straying from the plan. (I had an experience with a half of piece of toast that made certain that I'll not be tempted by a bread basket for quite some time.

@@tawnya71 - Thank you for making me feel better. I know I'm being impatient.

It's comforting to know i'm not the only one that is a bit neurotic about this. Thanks to everyone and I welcome all suggestions. I think two things I'll take from the feedback so far is to make sure I get my Water intake at goal every day and to make sure I hit my Protein goal (which I do most days but I'll work on that).

Please don't sacrifice your Protein goals for calorie intake. You need that Protein to make, pretty much, everything in you work/grow/function.

While I did read in my program references to weigh daily, I know there will come a time when I will hate doing it (hence, "stalls"). Right now (being at the very beginning of my program) I do weigh daily. Once I get out of the nutrition "stages" and to the final/forever after food "stage", I will definitely only weigh once per week.....if that. I know the scale can become an addiction, and, well - I've got enough of those to deal with. I WILL NOT allow myself to become addicted to weighing/the scale. At my age and place in life - it really is about how I feel and how my clothes fit (inches) and toning up where I've lost.

Keep up the great work.

Keep sharing.

Oh, and the next time I see "Party" attached to your name I will know not to break a fingernail trying to get to your post....lololol. I mean I fell for it hook, line and sinker...lol.

Edited by LAG50

Keep eating the right things, drinking fluids, exercising, and getting rest! Your body is going to take care of the rest on its schedule. Let it work and avoid those scales! Especially when working out, they are misleading. Keep up the great work!

@@*Lexie* drinking plenty of Water is a huge factor in losing weight. If you up your water and stay on top of it (especially since you also workout) it will keep your retention at a minimum. Good luck!