Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op diet starts in 3 days

My pre-op starts in 2 days... (Wow, saying that makes it seem very real, and very soon!)

The nutritionist at my surgeon's office (NYU Langone Medical Center - I'll mention it in case there are any others in the NYC area) recommended GNC's Total Lean (ready to drink) shakes. I've tried the vanilla and strawberry and they're pretty good. I've drank a few over the past week, because I like the taste, but I am worried about 5 of them sufficiently filling me up. I tried the powder equivalent and it was gross! I ordered a bunch online including banana Cream and Swiss chocolate, which all had good reviews online.

I had asked my surgeon about whether people took off work during pre-op due to having low energy from the low cal diet. She said (like many here who have been through it), that most people don't find it too bad, and she said I'll have lots of energy while I'm losing weight. I guess I will see in 2 days!

She also said that doing the pre-op diet makes surgery a lot safer, and if someone doesn't follow it properly and their liver doesn't shrink, then they might not be able to do the surgery laparoscopically, and they'll have to cut you open all the way (now this is just *my* surgeon talking) - this will make it easier for me to stick with it tho!

My pre-op starts in 2 days... (Wow, saying that makes it seem very real, and very soon!)

The nutritionist at my surgeon's office (NYU Langone Medical Center - I'll mention it in case there are any others in the NYC area) recommended GNC's Total Lean (ready to drink) shakes. I've tried the Vanilla and strawberry and they're pretty good. I've drank a few over the past week, because I like the taste, but I am worried about 5 of them sufficiently filling me up. I tried the powder equivalent and it was gross! I ordered a bunch online including Banana Cream and Swiss chocolate, which all had good reviews online.

I had asked my surgeon about whether people took off work during pre-op due to having low energy from the low cal diet. She said (like many here who have been through it), that most people don't find it too bad, and she said I'll have lots of energy while I'm losing weight. I guess I will see in 2 days!

She also said that doing the pre-op diet makes surgery a lot safer, and if someone doesn't follow it properly and their liver doesn't shrink, then they might not be able to do the surgery laparoscopically, and they'll have to cut you open all the way (now this is just *my* surgeon talking) - this will make it easier for me to stick with it tho!

Hi meggs. I was banded by Dr. Ren-Fielding almost two years ago. I worked during the pre-op and followed the program as I did not want to be one of those people who couldn't get the surgery because my liver wasn't shrunk enough. It kept me in line for sure. This is the tough part....and until you are eating mushies, it may be very challenging but you'll get a head start on the amount of weight you want to lose...that's for sure. I dropped 15 lbs. before surgery but I'm not sure how much while on liquids after. I stayed off the scale for a while because I didn't want to become obsessive about weighing.

Thanks! Dr Ren is my surgeon too - I guess it is a small lap-band world :)

Thanks for the honest feedback about the first few weeks - I think it's it's better to have realistic expectations than overly optimistic ones and then be disappointed. I'm going into this knowing it will be hard, but worth the challenge, and probably will be over before I know it.

I've lost 10lbs already on the pre op diet from NYU in 5 days. I'm officially under 300lbs! I don't care if it's just Water. It's gone. Never to return.

You all have GOT this! Pre-op isn't easy but for me the rest.....well I hate to say it because I know there can be arcs of frustration.....but for me the rest (including surgery and recovery and waiting for fills).....a breeze. That's hind-sight for you but there it is.

This just got extremely difficult. My mother in law invited us over to welcome back my soon to be sister in law and nephew. Said it was just going to be family nothing major. We get there not only is my husbands psyco ex and her drunk mom there but there is so many of my favorite foods. I wanted to cry!! And yes she knows about wls and liquid diet.< /p>

I think you are coming down with a stomach bug ????

This just got extremely difficult. My mother in law invited us over to welcome back my soon to be sister in law and nephew. Said it was just going to be family nothing major. We get there not only is my husbands psyco ex and her drunk mom there but there is so many of my favorite foods. I wanted to cry!! And yes she knows about wls and liquid diet.

Do you think your MIL is trying to sabotage you or is she just not thinking of your situation and making sure to feed the folks who've come to her house? I ask because if she is trying to make your life more difficult, you may need to stay away from her while you are working on this.

If however, she is just sort of clueless, then you will have to understand that you will find yourself in challenging situations alot. Whether it's a party, or a holiday, or dinner out. This is where you have to be strong and know that your success depends on your strength. It's not always easy, this journey we are all on, but it is worth it. There will be a time when you are able to eat food again and as you lose weight, you will find that the gains you make in terms of health and how you look and feel about yourself are worth more than the foods that seem so tempting right now.

Hang in there...come to this site for support and find your strength. Good luck! You will do great.

Yea lissa sounds like some sabatoging going on

: /

Just remember you are stronger than that and you are going to do great regardless of their antics

No she knows neither mu hubby or me want to be around his ex. And if she was trying to feed everyone she would have cooked enough for everyone not just the ones that live there. But i showed her i stayed strong and drank my Protein Shake. Then when i got home had some beef broth mixed with v8. My hubby on the other hand had words with her. Thanks for all the support. Im glad i have yall to talk to.

Last day on liquids pre op.. surgery tomorrow!!

Its official i check in the hospital at 7am tomorrow.. im nervous now.

Thanks seymour1971