Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Clothing Sizes

Ladies, thanks SO much, I feel a ton better.

I was totally confused because my tight pants are still tight, lol. I am a bit slimmer in the face and a bit of the muffin top is gone so I'm sure the rest will come soon.

I'm currently a 34/36 and have a full wardrobe in every size down to a 22, lol. My mom let me store bins in her attic so I'm really excited to finally need them. Luckily, stuff won't be out of style because I've always dressed in classic pieces.

I was a size 22/24 before surgery and now a size 8, smallest I have ever been. I didn't drop clothing sizes that fast while I was still in the plus sizes, but once I reached the misses sizes they drop real fast. I wasn't a fast loser, just slow and steady. Keep staying on the program, it will happen!

It's been strange for me too. Was a (tight) 24 to start - have lost 75 pounds and STILL am in my 24's... they are a little lose - but still comfortable in the waist. SO weird. I can fit into a few of my 22's that I've pulled back out. But 75 pounds and still wearing the same size?? I'm definitely losing from the top down. lol

Now for working clothes in general I'm still hanging on to my old smaller clothes size 14 because I don't to buy new clothes just yet. Today I went shopping to pick up some thick warm fluffy pyjama because it's getting colder and I feel cold easily. when I looked at this pyjama, I decided to try on the smaller size because it can stretch out a little and surprise! I can fit into the size 8/10!! OMG! Before surgery when I picked up the night gowns I had to go up to 20/22 because I like wearing them comfortably, now I'm comfortable in size 8/10!! Aww... love my sleeve!!

Numbers number numbers!!!

They play with our minds! Now don't get me wrong, they are needed and useful information for healthcare etc...BUT...I firmly believe that we pay way to close attention to them versus how we feel, numbers play with our minds...

Here's my example...in my early 20's I was extremely fit, I was 5'7" tall and weighed 185lbs in the best shape of my life with a 17% body fat count, I was rocking it...I am a naturally heavy person with big muscle mass...I was a size 10 and felt great...Enter the BMI chart and with those numbers I was overweight and should loose 26-66lbs! Not a chance with 17% body fat...

I was sleeved September 2014 and made a decision to not have a scale in my house. I know I have lost weight, my clothes all fit but my smaller clothes fit better :) I have decided to go along with how I feel, the energy level I have, the number of times I am happy talking with people instead of hiding or walking away fast so not to have to talk to anyone and be judged etc...instead of focusing on numbers

I will get weighed in every 3 months because it is important for health purposes but I really am trying to focus on other aspects of weight loss than numbers...this is in no way to judge anyone else it's just my 2 cents on how I feel it might work best for me and maybe others who watch that scale like hawks...we all need to replace our eating obsession/compulsion with something else, I encourage you all to not put that focus on the scale numbers or clothes sizes...there might just be a little less stress and or frustrations in your lives...focus on how well you have been sleeping since loosing weight, how you can stay on your feet longer everyday and have extra energy to go out after a full day or work...that to me are small successes that need to be celebrated instead of lbs & inches.

Another one who started out in tight 26/28 or 30/32 and can still wear those clothes even at 84lbs gone! I do need new clothes but I don't have a whole range of sizes to choose from in my closet since I've been 26/28 for as long as I can remember - the sizing just grew with me ;)

I'm going to a work conference mid-November at Disney World (we own a travel agency) so I'll be buying some things for that then. Otherwise, I'll keep pinning and holding as long as I can!

Went shopping a little today and as my body figure is not in place yet (big here, small there) so I decided that I'll buy only any model in size M that I can fit myself into but apparently now I can fit in anything in size M!!

However, some clothes just only look good in theory lol so I ended up buying just only 2 T-shirts for my dance classes and a cute colourful wool dress for upcoming winter, all in size M (I wanna cry with joy).

I started in a 24/26 and a 2 or 3 XL top. I lost about 50 pounds before they got too loose to wear. The smaller I became, the faster the sizes dropped. Now, I will drop a size if I lose 10 pounds. I'm in an 8 or 10, and small or medium top.

Although I am pre-surgery...thought this journey thus far I have done alot of reading and tried to keep up with the latest information the pro's and con's of the post-op.

Contrary to what some may think, most of the GoodWill Stores here actually have some decent clothing..some even new, and since the medical bills with co pays, and now a 2 grand deductable for my surgery...going out and spending alot of money "that I don't have" on a new wardrobe, I will just pick up some things at GoodWill to hold me over through fluxuations. I DID however, make a promise to myself that the first 40 pounds...I will get something new..as a reward...the next 20 pounds..again..I will again get something nice....20...20..20..and when I reach my ultimate Goal...I VOWED...I was going to have that Black Leather Jacket I have always wanted..but couldn't because they didn't make my size and if they did..it just wouldn't look the same....why a black leather jacket you ask??? Because I have a brand new Harley Davidson motorcycle that I wearing that jacket would look just amazing on. :D

I am brand new here...my 1st post! I was looking for info on how to manage the wardrobe with rapid weight loss. Your comment about the Harley made me smile. I just decided to buy one when my car was paid off. Now I might have to spend the $$ on skin removal, but the Harley is still on my bucket list! Maybe a reward for weight loss!

Edited by packerfan

So, as a follow up. On Monday, I put on my size 34 pants and once again, they fit, maybe a bit tight. This morning, while sorting through a pile of old clothing I found my favorite dress pants: size 28. I decided to try them on, just to see whether I could get them up. Well, shock of all shock, they fit!! I tried on the 34s and they're pretty much falling down.

Crazy how fast this can change!

I started at 248lbs, 5'7" size 20 and 2XL. I have lost 31 lbs and in size 18 and XL/1XL. I'm hoping to be in 16's by Christmas. However, even though I haven't dropped a bunch of clothing sizes, I FEEL a lot smaller. I wear a lot of leggings and I think my legs and butt look smaller. And my face is much less puffy. So overall I am quite pleased! Oh and my surgery was 9/3.

I second shopping at Goodwill... $4 jeans and dress slacks! whoo hoo... Now I have to tell you I have NEVER shopped at second hand stores. Goodwill or any other for that matter, call me a snob or whatever, but I never did..... NOW I am out of pants... they are baggy and falling off! :lol: So I went in to the GW up in the 'better' part of town and quickly found 3 pairs that I thought might fit. Didn't even try them on, brought them home and washed them and hung them up. Well today before work I picked the first pair, nice black dress pants ($4) size 18, They FIT!

My pet peeve is my waist, it is and has always been ummmm larger, I am an apple shape. So pants that fit around the waist are ofter way to big in the legs. Certain brands of jeans (Gloria Vanderbuilt for one) fit better. Venezia (Lane Bryant) dont fit at all, even a size larger... and the legs are huge! So I will continue to look for my $4 pants at GW, I have a whole closet full of tops.