Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Aversion to sweet protein drinks

I have been gradually losing my sweet tooth over the years and find myself totally repulsed by pretty much all the Protein drinks I've tried.

I am on the pre-op liquid diet and have been eating a lot of broth based Soups because I just can't stomach the shakes. I've also 'cheated' with some non-liquid Medifast meals like sloppy joe (110 cal/11 g protein/1.5 fat) and hard boiled eggs to get Protein.

I'm worried about not getting enough protein post-op. Any ideas for savory liquid high-protein foods?

Syntrax has many, many flavors that aren't sweet ... Unjury as well.

How about some kind of egg nog with milk, egg, a little yogurt or ricotta, unflavored Protein powder and a dash of nutmeg????? Sweeten to taste.

I don't love the shakes at all. Post-op I used a lot of the Unjury chicken broth and unflavored (mixed it in with pureed soups). Syntrax also has an unflavored one. You can totally do it without anything sweet!

I too was unable to tolerate the super sweet shakes after surgery. I drink unflavored Protein powder in non fat lactaid milk, and I love it. Added Peanut Butter and coco a few times, but I prefer it plain and basically it just taste like milk. I like my Soup hot enough to burn my mouth so I do not put it in my Soup. Wish I could.

Loser2014 said: Aversion to sweet Protein drinks

I know what you mean. I used to really enjoy a little tea with a tall glass of sugar. Now I make tea in pot at about half strength and then dilute it another 50% with Water and then trickle it over a full glass of ice cubes...even further diluting it. And NO sugar or sweetners. Ahhhh - perfect .....still even tastes sweet. Go figure.

Same thing goes for sugar free popcicles. The artificial sweeteners they use are just too sweet. So I make my own with strawberries, bananas and blueberries blended and cut alot with Water, then frozen in popcicle molds. Strangely with no sweeteners added, I prefer the more tart taste.

So, no complaints here. I'm liking the benefit of this new sugar free me. ;)

Oh yeah.......about the Protein Drinks.....I use Isopure Zero carb (40g protein) but I have to cut them in half with water just to make them palatable. :wacko:

Edited by Recycled

You can add Protein to hot stuff. I enjoy chocolate Protein to my hot coffee in the morning. there actually is a web page that explains how to do protein and hot stuff but this is how I do it. I temper my protein in. I start with a little bit of hot to the protein and make a paste and than add slowly while stirring constantly until my cup is filled. it doesn't change the texture of protein at all. think of how you add and egg or sour cream to a hot substance. slowly.

I too was unable to tolerate the super sweet shakes after surgery. I drink unflavored Protein Powder in non fat lactaid milk, and I love it. Added Peanut Butter and coco a few times, but I prefer it plain and basically it just taste like milk. I like my Soup hot enough to burn my mouth so I do not put it in my soup. Wish I could.

You can add Protein to hot stuff. I enjoy chocolate Protein to my hot coffee in the morning. there actually is a web page that explains how to do protein and hot stuff but this is how I do it. I temper my protein in. I start with a little bit of hot to the protein and make a paste and than add slowly while stirring constantly until my cup is filled. it doesn't change the texture of protein at all. think of how you add and egg or sour cream to a hot substance. slowly.

Thanks fr the tip. The brand I use says not to add to liquids above 140 degrees or it will clump. I like my coffee and Soup HOT. I'll try what you recommended.

You can get special high Protein Soups, hot chocolate, and Cappuccino. They are sold at Nashua Nutrition under the brand name HealthSmart, and at some other online stores with different names. They are specially formulated so that you can blend them with hot liquid. The liquid can't be actually boiling but it can be pretty much right below boiling and the protein will not clump.

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-drinks/

http://www.nashuanutrition.com/store/hot-soups/

@Bufflehead. Thanks for the info. I'm not a cold/ice beverage girl. I even drink my Water at room temp.

I'm with you on the sweet factor. My pre-op liquid diet consisted of shakes doled out by the hospital -- they were absolutely disgusting. Artificial sweeteners, etc. There was no way I was going to drink that poison so I met with the nutritionist. Ended up getting Thorne Mediclear because I'm kind of a health food type and knew I really wanted to clean my system out in a healthy way. Post-op I did not have any particularly Protein goals. I drank a lot of hot tea (still do) and I was able to have egg drop Soup. I keep Miso in the fridge and make Soup with garlic, a little chili, scallions and ginger, etc. Post-op you would just do it without the "bits" at first -- you'll be given a protocol to follow. Protein Shakes are a slider so I don't do them often, and I know I'm getting plenty of Protein. We are sort of obsessed with that here in America. Maybe a little too obsessed, in my opinion. Look at us!

I cannot tolerate the sweet and I have never liked sweet drinks. Even the Greek Yogurt has tons of sugar in it. What I found is:

GENEPRO http://www.musclegen.net/ .... this is oderless and tasteless and does not clump. You can add it to hot or cold....or just sprinkle over your food. This stuff is great. One tablespoon equals a scoop of whey and has 30 grams of Protein. It is approved by John Hopkins and has 96% absorbtion. You can also order it from Amazon. I fix a Crystal Light and a scoop. I understand you can contact the website and they will send you a sample?