Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you think i Will reach my goal by my birthday?

Yessss in case you didn't know i am 16. :). I just had a question maybe some of you can answer. Will today is 10-4-14 my goal weight is 120 and my surgery is gonna be in late November or early December my birthdate is 4-26-15 yup 6months from now. The reason i want to know is because i didn't have a sweet 16 because im ofcourse uncomfortable with my weight and didn't want to feel embarrassed at mt own party. Ooooh yeaa I'm getting the sleeve!!!! Ok i at first i was a little embarrassed to mention my weight but hey we're all here for basically the same thing right so ya its 360 ya very depressing

Edited by JoJoscircus

You didn't tell us when your surgery date is or how much you weight now. :)

If I understand your stats correctly, you are asking if it is possible to lose 240 lbs in six months. That would mean a rate of loss that averages over 9 lbs per week. I have never heard of anyone doing that. But this doesn't seem like a healthy goal. Most people who have more than 100 lbs to lose plan on it taking a year or more. I hope you will give yourself some slack! You don't have to be superwoman. If you set your expectations too high, you may get frustrated when you don't attain them. That could lead you to give up. Just follow your surgeon's program, take it one day at a time and you will eventually reach your goal.

I forgot to say: Whatever loss you attain by your birthday will be a victory. Enjoy it.

Edited by IcanMakeit

Being straight with you, your goal loss does not sound realistic. I've read a lot of posts on here and I don't think I've ever seen someone lose that much that quickly. That being said, I am a little under twice your age and I can't count the number of birthdays and special occassions that I didn't Celebrate because I felt like I was too fat to look decent in any clothing. I missed out on so much of life because I wasn't thin enough to feel like I deserved to Celebrate. My advice to you would be to enjoy the process. If your surgery is in November, follow the post-op diet, enjoy trying new, healthy foods, maybe start going to a gym that you like. Eventually you will hit your goal, but don't miss out on everything else until you get to that point. Life is for the living....we only get so much time- enjoy the life you have now, look forward to the life you will have when you have hit your goal, and don't miss out on anything between now and then! :)

I agree with the other comments. I'm sure it'll be hard to not think of that goal, but if you shift your mindset slightly you'll do much better. You cannot fail at this if you are willing to follow the plan outlined by your bariatric team.

Eat as they instruct you to. Maximize your daily Protein intake, limit carbs to healthy things like vegetables and dark fruits; drink the daily required Water, take your Vitamins, and ELIMINATE excuses for skipping workouts; exercise everyday and you can't help but drop a ton of weight.

It may not be anywhere near your goal in 6 months, but I think it will be substantial. If you've been 360 for a long time, it may surprise you how good you will feel with even 100 lbs off of your frame. Try to be patient with yourself and continue to research and read in preparation for your surgery.

Btw, how tall are you?

Good luck on your surgery your very young and I hope you do well as have a speedy recovery hope you lose the weight you want but six months is unrealistic????good luck again and you will be fine

5'6 is pretty tall for a girl (but I'm really short so everything is tall to me). If 120 lbs is your goal, go for it, but that is really tiny for a girl your height.

I think your doctor gave you some good advice about using clothing as a way to measure your success. A lot of people get scale obsessed and that can lead to discouragement. Stay in touch and good luck with your surgery.

I have also heard that you should determine how you feel based on clothes. That doesn't work for me because by the time I realize my clothes are a little tighter, I'm up at least 10 pounds, and by the time they start to fit a little looser, I'm also down a lot. I weigh myself once, every morning, as soon as I wake up. This way I know immediately if for some reason I have hit a stall or if I've started gaining again.

120 pounds was always my goal too, even when I was your age. I was pretty close to it my senior year of high school at around 125ish and then in college I was around 130, but even now that I'm pretty close to the 129 that I originally set as my goal as an adult, if I get there, I will probably drop the goal to 120. 120 is just a magic number for me for some reason and I can understand the desire to hit a certain weight on a scale.

You could (should?) set smaller goals for yourself. For example:

Starting weight 360

325 get a book you have been wanting to read

299 (Yay! below 300!) Get a fashion magazine to imagine how your healthy self may look in up to date teen clothes

275 Get some music you want

260 (Yay! 100 pounds lost - and this is a more do-able goal for your birthday than reaching 120 pounds), since folks starting at a higher range tend tend have a greater initial loss.

225 At 5'6" you will start looking fierce and curvey at this weight. Check out available cool stuff for young women

199 (Yay! below 200) We call this One-der-land. You made it! Go somewhere to Celebrate with friends. Maybe an amusement park. You will no doubt fit in a roller coaster seat at this weight.

175 You may start having enough energy to go the distance on a hiking trail, or with some Spanx to keep jiggly parts in control, you could do a 5K or one of those races for charity. Plus practicing will help you get in shape even more.

150 OMG You look and feel awesome. You may be investigating plastic surgery to reign things in. This alone will help you lose several more pounds, just from eliminating jiggly leftover skin. However, because you have the advantage of youth hormones and more elastic skin, a regular work-out with strength training could have you in good enough shape to not need plastics.

A good reward would be a kick-a** pair of jeans. (I may be an old lady at 62) but in one more size down, I will fit into a pair of white jeans that I bought months ago as a reward for working hard.)

I dare to suggest that at 150, you may be delighted with your new curvey body and wonder "What was I thinking?" when setting a goal of 120. Remember, meat is for the man and bone is for the dog. At 5'6", 150 pounds will be freakin' awesome!!!!! I wouldn't even worry about 120 until I get to this point. You may find that if 150-ish feels healthy, and a healthy body is better than a an artificial airbrushed movie star body.

Good luck dear. You have a lot to look forward to. And when you get to a stall, remember that stalls are like lovers. You first will probably not be your last. Hugs from Miss Mac in Chicago.

Miss Mac has given you some wonderful advice. I hope you really do reward yourself as you hit each mini-goal. Setting short term, achievable goals helps to make the weight loss journey enjoyable, and you'll really appreciate the rewards as you earn them.

And as you hit each goal, I hope you'll come back here and brag. We're all rooting for you.