Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

<p>Hi,</p> <p> </p> <p>How did your fill go?? What did your doc say about you eating?? hope all is well.</p>

Good morning all.

It's Friday and I'm back from Lubbock Texas. My visit with my doctor went well. I was very honest about what I had been doing. He went ahead and filled my band to 5cc. I feel much more restricted now. Not so restricted that I can't eat anything but restricted enough to fill up with a least a half of cup of food per meal. I am going to start my Protein shakes again to give me the Protein I need. The fill was not hard at all. It was over in less than a minute. The hard part was the local anesthetic and that was only for a couple of seconds. Not bad at all. I did manage to lose 23 lbs my first four weeks. I was very happy with that.

I was on liquids for two weeks after surgery, and then to pureed food, then soft foods, and then solid.....my doctor was so careful to explain each and every step....I knew the danger of eating solids to soon ...I did not want to mess up my band...I am a self-pay..and I don't have another $15,000.00 to pay for another surgery...

You can do that, I've lost 70lbs in 5 months. Believe me, if I can do it ANYONE can do it!

However, Wasabubblebutt, I think it's fair to say that 70 lbs in 5 months is not typical bandster weight loss. Haven't you been unable to tolerate most foods because of some complications you've posted about here? If I recall correctly, you eat only tuna and Protein shakes, correct? Please forgive me if I have that wrong. But my point is that 70 lbs / 5 mos is, indeed, unusual for most bandsters.

Yep, I have had my share of issues but I also run on my treadmill for a minimum of an hour daily. I keep my calories at about 600 daily. My food choices are not great but my total caloric intake daily and exercise time are totally my choice.

I've worked seriously hard at my weight loss and it is not all due to my food choices. Now that I'm on meds to control stomach spasms it is somewhat better (not perfect) but I'm still losing at the same rate.

I agree, 70lbs in 5 months is not typical, I didn't claim it was. I wrote that if I can do it anyone can. If you follow bandster rules, choose good dietary choices and put the time into exercising, you WILL lose more than 2lbs weekly if you have appropriate restriction. Especially in the beginning. If you take someone that is 350lbs, cut their caloric intake down to 800 calories daily vs. the 4000 they were consuming before, add exercise that they didn't previously do, they WILL lose more than 2lbs weekly.

But honestly, I think most medical experts would tell you that a loss 70 lbs in 5 months is not even healthy. I know in your case that for medical reasons, you are trying to get the weight off quickly because you are planning to have the band removed due to health reasons. (Do I have that right?)

I just think it's important for people to have realistic expectations about weight loss here, and healthy ones as well. Truly, not everyone can lose 70 lbs in 5 months, and not everyone's doctor would encourage that. I know in my case, my surgeon like to see a steady loss of 5-8 lbs per month.

But honestly, I think most medical experts would tell you that a loss 70 lbs in 5 months is not even healthy. I know in your case that for medical reasons, you are trying to get the weight off quickly because you are planning to have the band removed due to health reasons. (Do I have that right?)

I just think it's important for people to have realistic expectations about weight loss here, and healthy ones as well. Truly, not everyone can lose 70 lbs in 5 months, and not everyone's doctor would encourage that. I know in my case, my surgeon like to see a steady loss of 5-8 lbs per month.

I don't know that I am going to have it removed, I honestly don't know. Prior to the meds I certainly had medical reason to have it removed. I'm going to be starting a new drug tomorrow for stomach spasms, it might work better than the one I am on today. I don't know. Some days I swear I want it removed that very day. Other days I feel differently.

The thing about losing weight is that there are two sides to each issue. After you get your daily nutrition in the rest of the calories basically maintain fat. What is the value in that? Personally, I see little value in maintaining fat. Each day I am obese I have greater risk than if I was normal size.

If I follow bandster rules by 800 calories a day (my docs suggestion WITH restriction), and exercise, I WILL lose more than 2 lbs weekly especially when I was 70lbs heavier. Which rule should I break so I don't lose quickly, should I cut back on exercise or add more calories to maintain my fat? See where I am going with this?

I am not convinced that losing weight quickly is such a horror and especially considering the huge risk of being morbidly obese. I am on week 24 since being banded. That is a 2.92 pound weight loss weekly.

Honestly, where is the horror?

For the most part, people who put serious effort into weight loss with a band are going to lose faster. That isn't necessarily a bad thing. It IS personal choice.

I'm trying to get weight off quickly because I don't want to be fat. Not for medical reasons. Heck, in a different thread a few days ago I flat out explained that I didn't do this for health reasons (getting a band), I just don't want to feel like a fat cow anymore. And that is how I felt. Health benefits were an extra bonus. But that isn't why I got a band.

Not all surgeons agree about speed of weight loss. I know at first I was drinking calories and justifying it by saying I didn't want to lose too quickly. Bah! Truth is, I just wanted to eat. But that is me, I'm not claiming that is true for everyone.

I guess we all have to decide what is worthwhile and what we are willing to do / what we can tolerate to lose quickly. Personally I don't want to lose hair or have a ton of sagging skin when I reach my goal. I am eating really healthy, though not more than about 900 calories per day, and I do notice a higher level of fatigue compared with pre-surgery (even though I get a lot of Protein in). I am not willing to experience even more fatigue to get the weight off faster. I just can't, with three kids and a full time job!

I guess we all have to decide what is worthwhile and what we are willing to do / what we can tolerate to lose quickly. Personally I don't want to lose hair or have a ton of sagging skin when I reach my goal. I am eating really healthy, though not more than about 900 calories per day, and I do notice a higher level of fatigue compared with pre-surgery (even though I get a lot of Protein in). I am not willing to experience even more fatigue to get the weight off faster. I just can't, with three kids and a full time job!

Hmmm.... seems like something else might be going on. Many people experience fatigue with three kids and a full time job. Check out various studies, you might find that fat is stored energy. Assuming you are getting your daily nutrition in your fat should be providing you with energy. Again, it is stored energy.

I think most bandsters experience lots of head games that helped to get us fat to begin with. "If I don't get "X" calories in I'll be too tired," or "I am sick so I need extra nutrition." I can go on all day with examples of head games and how we justify more food. It's what got us where we are to begin with.

Perhaps your daily life is busy enough to cause fatique. I get 600 calories in, I don't work for pay but I work numerous hours volunteering time and I don't feel fatigue in the least. I did early on but I changed Vitamins and I felt much better.

I have Hair loss but I have a hunch it is for the same reason as many other surgical patients. Anesthesia. It has yet to be proven why anesthesia patients lose hair. There are lots of theories and opinions, but no real facts. Initially I thought my hair loss was due to fast weight loss. Funny thing, surgical patients with no weight loss experience the same thing. Unless, of course, you have stats to defend your inferences?

As for sagging skin, I think part of it is quick weight loss, but I also think it is due to the fact that I smoke and am 45 years old. Not to mention genetics. There are lots of reasons people have saggy skin, losing large amounts of weight is certainly a big issue. Wouldn't you agree?

I have yet to suggest anyone do things my way. I have explained time and time again this is MY way and I have also repeatedly suggested people not do things my way. Good weight loss can be done with a very healthy diet and required exercise. I realize you have a multitude of problems with how *I* choose to lose *MY* weight, but sadly... that isn't something I can help you with.

I'm personally not willing to maintain fat merely to justify eating more food. But that's me, not everyone.

BTW, I noticed you didn't answer many of my questions in the previous post. Any reason for that?

WABB, I know you aren't suggesting people do things your way, but I think you should be careful throwing around the ole line of "If I can lost 70 lbs in 5 mos, anyone can."

Fatigue is a common side effect of this surgery (and GB) for up to 6 mos. post-op. I'm surprised you didn't know that; you seem pretty well informed about this surgery. hair loss is another side effect. Why are you so quick to ascribe side effects of quick weight loss to other things? You seem eager to define others' information as opinion or myth when you disagree with it. And to now suggest that people use "fat" head games to lose weight in a slower, more healthy manner? That is a bit over the top. You should be careful because you do come off as a bit high-and-mighty, and I don't think that really helps anyone.

I've had numerous surgeries and never lost hair.

I am not sure what questions you refer to. I looked back at your post and saw (below). Let me know if I missed other questions.

Honestly, where is the horror?

No horror noted. Like I said, I just think people need to be realistic about getting weight off, and I think many healthcare professionals will tell you that losing 3-4 lbs a week for months is not ideal.

You and I can agree to disagree on that, ok?

I agree with Wasabubblebut Education is key to this lapband being successful. My Dr. Requires a 4 week class with the dietian and it is very

helpful. It goes thru all the stages of the post opp diet and how long each stage is. But it doesn't explain about the adheasions forming and that is really improtant to know. I am an xray tech and I should have realized why the mushies for 2 weeks is important but I didn't. I am so glad you explained that now I will make sure i stay true to the course.

Most likely i would have anyway since i do realize that they are telling me this for a reason.

I am being banded on June 21st and going on vacation on june 25th I will be in our camper so mushes should be no problem. From all I have read on here if I take it easy vacation should be fine.

Its really funny that you say that. I was also banded on 04/30 and I started back to solid foods about 8 days out. My doctor is one of if not the Best Lapband doctor in texas, and he said really the only reason you need to take it slow in the beginning is to give yourself time to heal with out throwing up. They arent' as scared of you churning your stomach but as you are still very swollen inside and smaller things that would normaly pass with the band can't because of the swelling. He put it if you can eat it keep it down. Now mind you my husband and I are doing the gastric bypass diet but the lapband surgery, so we eat no carbs, no sugar and only about 4 oz a meal. My fist fill isn't for about another 3 weeks but they wouldn't fill my husband because he is still losing a ton of weight a week (his surgery was on 04/09). Slippage is very unlikey at this point. I had some complications with the surgery and the day after surgery was spent hugging the toilet, and I didn't slip it, so it must be sewin in there pretty good. Follow your doctors directions because ultimatey he is the one that knows. IF he says its okay, then your good to go. :)

Syrah....

As I explained to you in another thread I'm just not going to play this game with you anymore where you manipulate my words and put a whole new meaning to what I wrote so you can get your digs in.

I'm came over here to get away from OH drama, not have it follow me over here. Enough, really. Find someone new to target, I won't play the game. I'm ending it.

There are a lot of people on this site that have lost their weight very quickly. Check out Ousooner, for example. He lost a LOT of weight and reached his goal weight within 9 months. And the majority of people that I've seen that HAVE been able to do that did it without complications.

Don't forget, the "average bandster weightloss" includes folks that don't lose diddly.

I would like to speak on behalf of the comment made to ME from Wassa... "If I can lost 70 lbs in 5 mos, anyone can."

I merely took this as a form of encouragement and not a guild line I have to follow for my own journey. I am an individual and as an individual... I will be making my own journey into this new world.

These forums are here for us to learn more about all the different ways the lap band can succeed or not succeed for each INDIVIDUAL person. As an adult... I take everyone's own journey as just a measuring stick that can move one way or it can move the opposite way and help clarify my sometimes muddy path. I spent 3 months researching this and in this very forum found quite a few people who this did not work for them as I have found people that were moderately successfully all the way up to people who were extremely successful with the lap band.

Slandering an individuals choice on how they want to eat is out of bounds and not our place to judge. I would fight anyone if they try to take my rights away and try to belittle me for it in a public place.

The comment was made to me, for my own INDIVIDUAL encouragement on MY journey and wasn't taken as a guideline that I should be following. If that was the case, I would be eating solid foods since I am now 10 days out instead of mushy foods as MY doctor had prescribed.

I think we are mostly all adults here and we come to this forum for a common place to share our fears, insecurities, successes and a "wavy guideline" to know we are going thru the same thing with "someone else" but in our own way. Lets please stop slashing people for their own choices and keep this forum for what it is meant to be.

Kitty