Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dr Joya or Dr A/ Lopez

Hi all,

I am still in the research phase of my WLS journey and have narrowed it down to two doctors, Dr alejandro lopez or Dr Joya in Peurto Vallarta.

Can anyone comment on the care they received with either doctor? I am on the fence . . . Dr Lopez's initial contact with the care worker was very positive and it seemed like they cared more about my health (with the questionnaires etc) than initializing payment. Dr Joya's inital contact was more about payment info than about my health but he offers the complication insurance for $500.00.

I would also like to know what you thought of the hospital facilites for both surgeons? Dr Joya - Amerimed OR Dr Lopez - Cornerstone Hospital.

Please help with any comments you may have . . good or bad :)

I went to Dr Joya.....Sept 1, 2014 was my surgery. The Amerimed was very very clean and the rooms were amazing but I did have trouble with the lack of English speaking nurse attendants. Dr Joya, Nathalie and the supervisors speak EXCELLENT English but the people you interact a lot with only speak a little. That being said I never really had to ask for anything lol they are all over it. Nathalie is great! I found Gerald really sparse in the information he offered. It turned me off and I was really nervous at first. I did not op for the $500 fund and I had no issues, a few other people that shared my surgery week went with it, one needed it and one didn't. The one that needed it needed an endoscopy and that was $400 US so I didn't see the point really.

The service is amazing in Mexico, I would never have found the same care here in Canada. They suggest the Sunset Plaza Beach Resort but I know there are better hotels. I thought that they would have more catering to people who have had surgery but they didn't. I ended up having to go to the store to find Soup. The butler did run out and buy me popsicles though so I shouldn't complain too much lol!

Let me know if you have any questions!

I felt the same. The website said that the staff is bilingual but aside from Dr. Joy and Nathalie, I would definitely not call the staff bilingual. I feel like we mostly managed to get by okay with my rusty Spanish skills but it does get tiring when you're already in a vulnerable state to have to work so hard at communicating.

I did get Soup fine at the hotel, though. I had it my first night via room service and they even delivered it as just broth with a side dish of all the rice and veggies that should have gone it it. They had a tropical Jello that was fine after picking the fruit off the top and then the little outdoor restaurant that's poolside also had just plain broth.< /p>

I feel satisfied with my overall experience. I am not gushingly over the moon as I've read some patients are with other doctors but I don't have any complaints. The information does tend to come step by step...you get the next step after you complete the previous one, whereas I probably would have liked to receive it all at once. (For example, you get info about being picked up at the airport. I had to inquire as to where I was going from there since the material talked about checking in at the hospital but I was to go to the hotel. Once at the hotel, you receive your check-in info for the hospital the following day. Then when you get to the hospital, you get the schedule for the day. Etc.)

The facilities were nice and clean and very quiet. The only time I ever saw another patient was while walking and the door was open. Never saw any in the halls. The door next to mine had a congrats on the new baby sign on it but I never heard a peep from there. Rooms were large and the bed seemed surprisingly comfortable. There were two big couches and two televisions, an a/c that you can control, etc. No complaints there!

I had my surgery in July with Dr Lopez. The experience was outstanding !!! I have never had medical care that good!! Dr. Leo will be your day to day contact and even your transportation. I had some pain & vomiting do to the hernia surgery and Dr. Leo was at my hotel at 10 pm with new medication and was in contact with me in the morning to see how I was, I ended up back in the hospital for an afternoon on i.v and Dr. Lopez and his team came to see me more than once in the hospital and at my hotel the next day!! The iv was in within 15 minutes no waiting or delay! it was fabulous! Now Cornerstone hospital is tiny and will seem odd to someone used to hospitals taking up a city block but it was clean and well run. The nurses spoke little english but were able to get what I needed and communicate regardless of the language barrier. We stayed at the sunset plaza hotel and the room was amazing! it was huge with a large patio overlooking the ocean, we were able to get broth with ease but Popsicle or Jello was unavailable. You mentioned added insurance that one dr offers: I bought this insurance for about 400$ USD and when it came to pay for the hernia surgery ($500 USD) they told me that for them to cover it the dr had to stop the surgery and contact them ?! so they didn't cover it..... I wonder if they ever pay for anything? typical insurance scam I guess....

Regardless, Mexico & Dr Lopez and his entire team were amazing, I wish they did plastic surgery because when that is needed I would have chosen them!!

Also, Dr Lopez, Dr Leo and the team all speak perfect english! !!!

Best of luck