Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your fat-based nickname as a child, and how did it make you feel?

I am touched by the posts. Really touched. I am also feeling happy to hear posts about the changes in your lives.

CGJ - again I used the same philosophy with my kids. Better to be 25 lbs overweight than feel ashamed and miserable. My kids have stayed pretty trim. My 23 year old has gained in the last year and is a size 16 and bigger than I am now. She is also tall at 5-8 so is not obese. I know how it feels to be in her shoes so I encourage her to work out with me and buy healthy food. She finally found a job and hopefully the depression of being out of work will cut down on emotional eating. She already has enough confidence issues she doesn't need body issues as well. I am glad to say there was never "fat" teasing with my kids. I tried to teach my kids it was a health issue and inappropriate to condemn or tease people for it. One lesson they did learn from my struggles at least.

Piggy

Meg, that tore at my heart. Meanness sucks. As a famous man (Toby Keith) sang..." How do you like me now??????"

Piggy

Mine was rump roast lol

It gave me thick skin. My mother was verbally abusive and always called me fat so being called pretty or skinny was way more of a insult to me.

I'm still working on loving myself. I do love myself but my childhood.... Blah lol

Mine was rump roast lol

It gave me thick skin. My mother was verbally abusive and always called me fat so being called pretty or skinny was way more of a insult to me.

I'm still working on loving myself. I do love myself but my childhood.... Blah lol

I was affectionately called 'Tubsy', I liked it :-)

So much of what CGJ said resonates with me. Insulting ones body image, especially to children, is detrimental. While I was never called a particular name, I was teased. One memory my mind clings to was when I was in the 1st or 2nd grade. One girl that loved to taunt me, told the boy that I liked, "Kathy, the BIG FAT PIG likes you!" I was mortified. Devastated. Obviously, because I still remember it. I endured things like kids saying, "Boom-baba-boom" as I walked past. And I wasn't even that big. As a child I wore 14/16 from the husky sizes. As a teen I ranged from a 7 to a 14. I was always chubby and overweight, but never obese. But the taunting and acts of my loved ones taking my plate away and telling me that she (my mother) couldn't take me shopping at 5-7-9 (a store that sold only those sizes) because I ate too much, really affected my body image. It lead me to bulimia as a teenager.

By the time I got to college and became obsessed with exercising and eating right, I would still continue with the vomiting. I would fall into my cravings, gorge myself, feel guilty, vomit, and then run for an hour. Even though I was a size 4 and confidant to wear shorts and little dresses, I'd still have episodes where I would find myself repulsive. I'd sit in front of a mirror in my underclothing and cry because I was so disgusting. My boyfriend (now husband) wasn't even allowed to touch my stomach, even though it was flat. All the taunting led to self loathing. It was weird. I was extremely confidant at times and completely insecure and hateful towards myself at other times. Mercurial, I know.

I'm happy to report that all that self loathing is a thing of the past. I gained confidence as a mother. I'm blessed with a husband that loved me thin and obese. Never made me feel obese or commented that I needed to lose weight. We have four children, two of which whom seem to have inherited my appetite and are a little over weight. However, my husband and I never make them feel inferior, use "endearments" that insult their body image, or make comments about their weight. Since my surgery we have tried to teach them about healthy choices. We only have healthy options at home now and we try to make their journey here at home a healthy one.

Edited by Curvy

I had several :( my step dad would call me NONA or Blue Bear due to a robe that I had. They thought it was funny. My mother allowed him to call me that and said he was just playing. People don't think about what they say affects that person. I already had a dark secret inside of me in my childhood years. And there is where my weight increased. As the secret grew in years so did my weight. As a child I didn't have a say so what happened to me, but as a ADULT I HAVE A RIGHT TO SAY WHAT HAPPENS TO ME NOW! So I am living my life now. Sorry for the ranting on, but just hit a nerve on this top. Sorry again..:)

In 3rd and 4th grade I was called "power house pig" (although heavy I was strong and athletic) and in 5th and 6th grade it was "moose". It broke my heart but I always pretended it didn't.

In 3rd and 4th grade I was called "power house pig" (although heavy I was strong and athletic) and in 5th and 6th grade it was "moose". It broke my heart but I always pretended it didn't.

In the 50s, "A lil' dab will do you" made me feel like I was a bad girl. I almost always wished I was a big badass girl who would knock the hell out of those name callers. Still do, when I hear how others like you were made fun of. Now WE are laughing, right???????

i was called fatty and fat girl through elementary. i wasnt even that big back then, i know now that kids were just jealous of me because of my grades etc. Also my mom used to call me pig and animal, she was very verbally abusive towards me, especially as a kid.

Edited by Tisa

This thread breaks my heart!

Sticks and stones......