Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi it's been a week and a day to be exact... Since I had Surgery and I haven't lost a pound.... Has anyone had this problem? Its really frustrating... All that goes by my mind is..... Did I do the right thing on getting the sleeve???? One more thing is that when can you work out after surgery? Thank you in advanced.....

Your body is probably holding on to Fluid as you are still recovering from the surgery. Don't worry about it. You can walk but your surgeon should have given you some guidelines about exercise. If not, call them up and ask them. I wasn't up to more than walking, and not even much of that, for about 2 months post-op, but everyone's different. Some people start back at the gym sooner than that. Also, I was told not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs for 6 weeks. That made bringing groceries in a team effort.

PLEASE give your body time to release everything they put in your body during surgery. Now along with that you are swollen and your tummy is vulnerable to anything you put in it except liquids.

Please give it time to let the natural healing process to work.

And take that scale and put it away for a month. Or better yet take it out back and hit it with a sledge hammer and only weigh yourself at the doctors office...( That is what I did and so I never experienced a gain or stall ever ) It is not about numbers. PLEASE remember that! It is about health and well being.

Do not exercise until you are fully healed. Not a good idea to pull or stretch what has been done. Walking is the best at this point. It helps release all the stuff in your system...And starts to rebuild you up again....

Vanessa, I weighed myself 4 days after I got home and gained 6 pounds. Oh dear I was messed up and depressed that whole day. From that point I decided I was not going to weigh myself. I had my sleeve on August 25th. I have been walking as I feel better, yesterday I was up to 3.5 miles but at the beginning after my surgery I was lucky if I got a half mile to a mile a day. And the first couple days it was the length of the hospital hallway. Today is My post op appt with my doctor and that is when I will weigh. I can't do the roller coaster of emotions so I will only weigh at the doctors office also. I don't want to experience the stalls either. Best of luck and put away the scale. It is better on our mental health. We can do this.... I was really hard on myself doubting my decision just a whole myriad of emotions. Things get a little tiny bit better everyday and I can say I am NOT 100% but it gets better and sometimes I feel good one day and the next day is a bugger so don't be surprised if that happens too.

Edited by tbahm

It'll come. I can feel your pain wanted to see immediate results. It'll come, don't worry, just stick to your plan. hang in there!

Hi Vanessa,

I had my surgery a week ago today, and like you I haven't lost a single pound. At first I was scared that I wasn't following the stage three diet correctly, I also felt that I had been set up for failure because I was sent home on the stage three diet. Then I realized I was being crazy and paranoid because I remember reading on different forums that lots of people didn't drop weight right away. I know it's frustrating but what has helped me to keep from focusing on it so much is focusing on my liquid and Protein goals, which have been hit or miss for past week. It'll get better hang in there!

Kandis

You have received good replies. Great ideas. I agree. I was in 2 days an when I got home a few days later I gained 8 pds. I was forwarned my preop nurse said not to b surprised. Mine came off that next wk. An then some fast. Don't beat yourself up! Its going to be fine. Its major surgery. .my surgeon an internists told me it'll take close to 6 months to properly heal. So baby it. Believe me the body an mind plays games bc of the programming of the behavior it's had all these yrs an it's a power struggle. Now we have to reprogram our behavior. You'll do fine! I was having my doubts the first few wks..dang it I wanted real food! Lol..but the weight drops daily! I am 8 wks out. ..60 pds down..cleaned out closet! The inches will shrink even if scales havnt caught up but it will happen! ! Congrats for getn this far an welcome to ur new you!! Its worth it..it will b just get thru the first month that's wat my surgeon told me..get thru first month..:)

Thank you so much for the responses I feel a lot better now... I need to learn to keep my head up and not give up....

Thank you so much for the responses I feel a lot better now... I need to learn to keep my head up and not give up....

Believe me..we all need reassurance at times an this is major lifestyle change ur doing great! Just remember you cal always call it dr and/or come here...this has helped me tremendously! :)

Thank you for posting this and for all of the replies. I am 9 days out and feeling frustrated. I have to remember PATIENCE!!!

Thank you for posting this and for all of the replies. I am 9 days out and feeling frustrated. I have to remember PATIENCE!!!

I totally can relate. My hubs got me thru an my kinesiologist friend. It definitely took patients. I struggled the first 4 wks till I could get a bite of real food..I had a few choice wrds that month I was eating about every 2 hrs could not get enuff..a lot of mine was my thyroid was wrking really great so my metabolism was high! But I put unflavored Protein in everything I ate! There are a ton of ideas on this site of wat to mix with a variety of things to get required protein. An I believe it was a huge help. I had a few days of feeling like I wanted to cry..but every day I was dropping some weight. Everyone is different on this journey. But u can guarantee if you follow ur plan ur surgeon gave you an don't cheat..u will be thrilled! It only gets better each day!! Hang in there! :)

I spent 2 nights in the hospital & when I got home I was 10 lbs heavier - I was totally dumbfounded!! Thank goodness for this website. After reading what others had posted about this weight gain I felt better & a week later it was off. Thank goodness!!

@@maxcimax this site has definitely been a God-send, there are some days, like today, when I feel like nothing on my plan is working. Then I log on here, and read a member's advice to another member and apply it to my own freak out.