Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Diet" foods vs. real foods

Hi - I am still pre-op but trying to understand all the changes I will need to go thru after having bypass. One of the things that confuses me is in the packet of info given to us by the WLS nutritionist, it repeatedly lists only sugar-free stuff, fat-free stuff, etc.

I've been a life-long dieter, and have probably lost & gained over 1000 lbs over the years, but one of the things I learned finally was that "diet" foods don't really help you lose weight, often because they aren't as satisfying and you tend to eat more. Also, I am a bit worried about all the chemicals in the "fake" food. Some of it I don't mind, like I love Crystal Light, but some of the fake sugar-free/fat-free versions of food are really really awful.

So, what's the deal? Do we have to eat the diet sugar-free/fat-free versions of everything for the rest of lives? Is the reasoning behind this the lower calories or is it to avoid dumping? Are you allowed any real sugar or fat in small quantities - such as flavored coffee creamer in your coffee - or never at all? I'll do whatever is required, because I don't want to ever end up back where I am today. Just trying to understand what are the rules are and why.

I had the sleeve, so it's a little different, but my mom had bypass and she eats the "real" version of most things. Exception being that she uses splenda in place of sugar, but that's due to being a diabetic; she did that before surgery too. But, she never had an issue with dumping syndrome, they say that's about a fifty-fifty shot whether you get it or not, and she was just one of the lucky ones.

So there will be multiple answers to this question depending on your comfort level with certain foods. I had the sleeve and the guidelines given to me were : minimum 60 grams of Protein a day, monitor carbs and keep below 50 while you are in a weight loss mode. Fats fall in place if you are following the other guidelines. Increase calories, Protein and carbs as needed to meet the requirements of increased activity and exercise.

I use sugar free foods and drinks. I do not add sugar to things I eat. I personally do not have any problem with artificial sweeteners. They are prevalent in a lot of drinks that I consume. The guideline regarding sugar was that any food should not contain more than 12 grams of sugar per serving. I read labels and know what is in the food I eat. I could care less about Desserts or snack foods like chips etc. "fat free" foods are usually a signal for me to avoid them. Good fats are needed by your body to function. I usually get fat in my diet through nuts, Peanut Butter, olive oil or eggs.

I do not avoid fatty foods but I am careful not to eat too much of it, such as bacon or sausage. I make sure it fits into my daily requirements. I use My Fitness Pal to track food intake on my phone and that allows me to make adjustments as the day progresses depending on what I have eaten.

I think that you will be able to eat most anything you want. As long as it fits your daily intake requirements and you watch the amount of food you eat. There is no reason to be afraid of some of the diet foods, just know what is in them and wether they fit into you lifestyle change.

I don't generally buy diet foods - especially low fat stuff - low fat foods are usually full of sugar to make up for the loss of fat. But I do try to keep my sugar consumption low. I'm diabetic. I'm completely off my meds and want to stay that way. So empty carbs are things I try to avoid. I have no issues eating full fat cheese, but I don't want to drink my calories (other than my morning Protein shake) for the most part. Just make sensible choices.

@@Forsythia I agree with you. More recent studies are indicating that fat (especially saturated fat) has been demonized over the last few decades leading us to a low-fat craze that has helped increase obesity and diabetes.

To make a food lower in fat usually they have added salts, sugars and preservatives to make them taste better. Now that I have little room in my stomach and watch every bite I am thinking more of ditching low fat items. It just seems to make more sense to me to eat foods with less chemical manipulation.

I will admit though that my surgeon and nutritionists data all indicates low calorie/low fat choices. For now, because of their advice and being less than 2 months out from surgery, I am mostly following their advice but I'm still reading studies and researching what I will do on the long term.

@@une nouvelle vie I posted something similar earlier. All throughout the 80s and 90s and early 2000s we had LOW FAT LOW FAT LOW FAT drilled into us and I don't think low fat is the way to go. I've done low fat and it never really got me anywhere. But low carb seems to work so much better. I think a lot of medical organizations are slow to realize change and still recommend a low fat diet as the way to go.

Thanks everyone! une nouvelle vie - I just checked and he packet they gave me is really the guidelines for the first couple of months, not the rest of my life! So, that helps. I guess I can see how that might be good at first.

macman - I have started using MyFitnessPal already and what a great tool that is! I imagine they will give me the daily amounts I should aim for?

I choose not to eat diet or fat free foods. I'm uncomfortable with the ingredients so if I want something I have it but in a much smaller portion. I use real sugar instead of artificial sweetners. I have to confess I don't know how it affects my weight loss because I don't weigh but I guess I will see how things go at my dr appt next week.

I am 18 months out and the no sugar and fat free after surgery is so that your body heals ... Your body doesn't work the same after surgery and if you eat something or drink something that has high in fat and sugar it could cause dumping and lots of pain... Stick with the sugar free and fat free for the first 2 months and then you can start adding it back in with moderation ... You will realize soon enough if you took in too much sugar because the side effects are dumping , suds, and severe nausea ...I'm on my fitness pal if u want to add me , take care

I don't buy "diet foods", but where there is a lower calorie or fat version of a real food (think milk, sour cream, cheese, meat) I will opt for the lower calorie/fat version.

100% of the food I eat is "real" food. I don't drink Protein shakes anymore, I don't do the bars like some do, I don't eat sugar-free candy or the diet junk foods out there. I think this is the important distinction: your nutritionist is asking you to eat lower calorie and fat varieties of real foods; this is not the same as the artificial diet food Snacks and junk that we associate with the low-fat craze.

I will add that there are sometimes where I'll opt for a higher calorie/fat version of a food if the calorie drop is small between regular and reduced cal/fat. For instance, the difference in calories/fat between skim milk and 2% is only 15 calories for the amount I consume on a daily basis (1/2 cup), so I opt for the 2% because I like the taste. For something like yogurt that I eat larger amounts of, I opt for the fat free plain. For meats, I eat darker meat chicken because it is easier on my sleeve, but I take the skin off most of the time.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for some real world answers! I do want to eat healthy foods and obviously something loaded with fat & sugar isn't healthy, but something packed with chemicals or that tastes like cardboard isn't going to work well for me either. I guess it's all about balance and finding what my new system can handle, what helps keep my weight off and what is healthy for my body overall. That's a lot to juggle!

LumpySpacePrincess - the nutrition packet they gave us does list some fat-free/sugar-free diet stuff that I wouldn't call real food at al, such as sugar-free Jello & popsicles, diet juice and fat-free cheese, but I guess I can see how there's benefit for those first few weeks in getting in the liquids & Protein with those when you can't tolerate much else. After that time, I don't see why I would waste my tiny tummy-space with that sort of thing.

mamafine23 - how do you add someone to MFP?

So there will be multiple answers to this question depending on your comfort level with certain foods. I had the sleeve and the guidelines given to me were : minimum 60 grams of Protein a day, monitor carbs and keep below 50 while you are in a weight loss mode. Fats fall in place if you are following the other guidelines. Increase calories, protein and carbs as needed to meet the requirements of increased activity and exercise. I use sugar free foods and drinks. I do not add sugar to things I eat. I personally do not have any problem with artificial sweeteners. They are prevalent in a lot of drinks that I consume. The guideline regarding sugar was that any food should not contain more than 12 grams of sugar per serving. I read labels and know what is in the food I eat. I could care less about Desserts or snack foods like chips etc. "fat free" foods are usually a signal for me to avoid them. Good fats are needed by your body to function. I usually get fat in my diet through nuts, Peanut Butter, olive oil or eggs. I do not avoid fatty foods but I am careful not to eat too much of it, such as bacon or sausage. I make sure it fits into my daily requirements. I use My Fitness Pal to track food intake on my phone and that allows me to make adjustments as the day progresses depending on what I have eaten. I think that you will be able to eat most anything you want. As long as it fits your daily intake requirements and you watch the amount of food you eat. There is no reason to be afraid of some of the diet foods, just know what is in them and wether they fit into you lifestyle change.

You summed this answer up like a "professor of sleeve!" Now, I can surely understand and your response made me even more anxious for my VSG date to arrive!

Thanks for some real world answers! I do want to eat healthy foods and obviously something loaded with fat & sugar isn't healthy, but something packed with chemicals or that tastes like cardboard isn't going to work well for me either. I guess it's all about balance and finding what my new system can handle, what helps keep my weight off and what is healthy for my body overall. That's a lot to juggle! LumpySpacePrincess - the nutrition packet they gave us does list some fat-free/sugar-free diet stuff that I wouldn't call real food at al, such as sugar-free Jello & popsicles, diet juice and fat-free cheese, but I guess I can see how there's benefit for those first few weeks in getting in the liquids & Protein with those when you can't tolerate much else. After that time, I don't see why I would waste my tiny tummy-space with that sort of thing. mamafine23 - how do you add someone to MFP?

Hi you would go to

more on the my fitness pal app

Choose friends

Click on the + sign on the top corner , choose email and you only need the username

as a general rule, when fat is removed, SUGAR is used to replace it. ever look at the sugar/carb difference between Regular and Fat Free salad dressings? HUGE!

that said, i generally do not subscribe to the fat free rule, and very few low fat options. i eat real foods but very small amounts of them. at 8 wks post op i am working hard on adding whole veg and fruit back to my diet. just not enough room!

my ONLY exception to this rule is something like Crystal Lite or similar which i put in pretty much ALL Water i drink now. plain just doesn't do it for me anymore but hoping that will change.

Hi - I am still pre-op but trying to understand all the changes I will need to go thru after having bypass. One of the things that confuses me is in the packet of info given to us by the WLS nutritionist, it repeatedly lists only sugar-free stuff, fat-free stuff, etc.

I've been a life-long dieter, and have probably lost & gained over 1000 lbs over the years, but one of the things I learned finally was that "diet" foods don't really help you lose weight, often because they aren't as satisfying and you tend to eat more. Also, I am a bit worried about all the chemicals in the "fake" food. Some of it I don't mind, like I love Crystal Light, but some of the fake sugar-free/fat-free versions of food are really really awful.

So, what's the deal? Do we have to eat the diet sugar-free/fat-free versions of everything for the rest of lives? Is the reasoning behind this the lower calories or is it to avoid dumping? Are you allowed any real sugar or fat in small quantities - such as flavored coffee Creamer in your coffee - or never at all? I'll do whatever is required, because I don't want to ever end up back where I am today. Just trying to understand what are the rules are and why.

We should be eating real food - meats, vegetables, and whole grains. Any reputable 'diet' program will suggest shopping the outer edges of a grocery store where these things are found, and avoid shopping the aisles in the middle where all packaged, processed, convenience, and boxed foods are. Foods that are classified as light, sugar free, low fat, or no fat aren't usually god for you and are misleading. Whenever they remove something they replace it with something else just as bad. These options aren't even less calories as a rule but people think if a product is 'low fat' for example, then they will tend to eat more of it unwittingly consuming too many calories.

Do you have to meet with your nutritionist? In addition to a large binder with everything I need to know about my surgery, before and after, my program required two one-on-one meetings with a nutritionist, three educational workshops, one nurse education class, and monthly support group meetings which are split between a nutritionist and a psychiatrist. Follow-ups with a nutritionist are available if needed, and they are also on call if I have a specific question I need answered. If you're not getting all of the education and support you need there are countless resources for info on the internet. Except for our specific protein-rich and low sugar/fat requirements, Weight Watchers and other programs can be adapted to meet our dietary needs. In the absence of a support group, belonging to WW could be helpful, again keeping in mind that your dietary requirements will be slightly different.