Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

ISO Low BMI Sleeve Mentor

I was in similar boat. At 47 years old, I'd not seen a healthy weight since I was in second grade but everyone (except my docs) told me I wasn't "that" fat. I was approved on a BMI of 37 with multiple medicated comorbidities. It's been right at 1 year now and I've been in maintenance for 3 months. I exercise 5 days per week now and LIKE it. I eat what I like in small portions focusing on Protein but sacrificing nothing. My comorbidities are gone along with all the meds I was taking pre-op. I work at it, but the work is manageable now. Life is GOOD.

I too am a low BMI soon to be sleever. I'm 44,207 and 5'7. I've battled weight all of my life being 269 at my heaviest over 10 years ago. I was able to lose 120lbs on my own after an unhappy marriage and keep it off for over 10 years. After a hysterectomy & hypothyroidism I'm losing my battle keeping it off and I refuse to give in and gain the rest of the weight back I fought so hard to get rid of and keep off. I have not told many people because the ones I have confided in don't understand why I would do something so drastic when they don't see me as "that big". Well I'm here to tell you there is no need to wait until we have even more to lose and the battle and risks of surgery are greater. I'm also self pay and am happy to have the opportunity to lengthen and better the quality of my life. In just the last 30lbs I have gained I have noticed things that I had not felt since I was much heavier. I can't enjoy diving like I did, my hip joints ache, I can't get on my horses without assistance anymore and so on. I'm so happy to have found this thread and to meet you all. I'm hoping to hear by thurs my surgery date and am suspecting early Jan. I know it will come with a new set of struggles but I'm feeling so blessed to have an option like this, it gives me hope to finally be able to give me a fighting chance at winning this life long battle. I'm so excited I can't hardly stand it and that's my story in a nut shell! :)

I have a low BMI (35.6) and truly only one co-morbity issues (border line BP). I'm actually one of those truly healthy fat people. I only want to lose around 50 pounds although by BMI standards, I should be around 120. I do suffer from chronic pain in my knees and feet which is the result of any attempt to exercise as I get older. I just turned 40 an have ben contemplating this for 2 years. I decided that I don't want to live the next 40 years in a constant state of yo-yo dieting....I've been doing that for at last 30 years and I'm done! I need a mentor that can help guide me and support me through this process.. My doc has already told me to stop all attempts at weightloss until my surgery since I can't afford to lose any and still be approved. I won't lose 40 pounds in the first month like others so I'm looking for someone that had a similar experience that I can relate to.

Oh I am so glad I found this forum! All of your stories sound like mine. I actually looked to make sure I hadn't wrote them!!

I was sleeved yesterday and am so excited about my future. My BMI was 34, I am 5'2" and 39 years old. I have dieted my whole life and always gained back more than I lost. I am self pay too. No comorbitites yet, but on borderline for diabetics, etc. I know in 5 years I would be in worse shape, so why wait that long. Go ahead and do it now so I never get there!

So of course I start having those negative thoughts about this not working because I already had a lower BMI. So glad i found this forum to take those negative thoughts away. I will keep you updated on my progress.

I was sleeved 11/19- yesterday morning. Still in overnight stay. Hope to be home later this morning. I have some pain but nothing unbearable and the meds definitely help. Been walking as much as possible. Been taking sips of Water for the past few hours and so far so good.

Alexa

You could be my twin. Don't doubt what you and your body can do together.

I started at 190 one week before surgery and now 5 months out I am 146. 8 pounds until goal.

The past two months have been slow but I was told and knew it would be.

If you want to chat or ask something message me. I've never once regretted my decision but I've had days where I don't think I could handle whatever it is that's the issue.

But here I am, hanging in there and loving it.

All the best to you. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Alexa

You could be my twin. Don't doubt what you and your body can do together.

I started at 190 one week before surgery and now 5 months out I am 146. 8 pounds until goal.

The past two months have been slow but I was told and knew it would be.

If you want to chat or ask something message me. I've never once regretted my decision but I've had days where I don't think I could handle whatever it is that's the issue.

But here I am, hanging in there and loving it.

All the best to you. It sounds like you are off to a great start.

Yep! We could be twins for sure. I hope I have the same outcome as you. I started out around 190 and was 185 when I went in yesterday morning. What did your recovery look like? I am hoping I will feel back to normal with no pain and nausea. I seem to be feeling worse today. :(

Alexa

My recovery was pretty easy. I went home that next day. I was racing laps in the hospital around the floor.

My hardest was the first night home and having to get myself out of bed because I laid all the way down.

I did take the pain meds the first few days. Rather be comfortable than a martyr.

I had surgery on Tuesday and was back to work Monday. No real issues at all. I just took it easy.

My issue was that I could not even look at much less drink the Protein shakes I had lived on one week prior to surgery. I had to change to other brands and broth.

My incisions healed fine with no pain or irritation. I was walking on my treadmill 10 min then up to 30 minutes within the first week (I am so not used to working out - still ugh.)

I wasn't hungry at all those first weeks. I probably did try everything a little early but nothing extreme And nothing that hurt me. I listened to my sleeve and it talked to me.

Message me if you want we can text if you like or even Skype.

Do you have support at home? Did you tell others?

Alexa

My recovery was pretty easy. I went home that next day. I was racing laps in the hospital around the floor.

My hardest was the first night home and having to get myself out of bed because I laid all the way down.

I did take the pain meds the first few days. Rather be comfortable than a martyr.

I had surgery on Tuesday and was back to work Monday. No real issues at all. I just took it easy.

My issue was that I could not even look at much less drink the Protein shakes I had lived on one week prior to surgery. I had to change to other brands and broth.

My incisions healed fine with no pain or irritation. I was walking on my treadmill 10 min then up to 30 minutes within the first week (I am so not used to working out - still ugh.)

I wasn't hungry at all those first weeks. I probably did try everything a little early but nothing extreme And nothing that hurt me. I listened to my sleeve and it talked to me.

Message me if you want we can text if you like or even Skype.

Do you have support at home? Did you tell others?

THANK YOU! This is great information. Yes, my husband is being very supportive, but I have told very few people-my parents, husband and 2 friends that had already had it. I am planning to go back to work Monday. Crossing my fingers that I'll be able to. I think I will. I think I will start walking on the treadmill tomorrow. So far I have just been doing laps around the house.

Thank you again! I am not very savvy with this sight. How do you message?

Alexa

I sent you a message. It is in the menu and it says messages. I hope you get it.

How is it going today??

I checked the messages section and didn't see anything. I will keep checking in case it just hasn't refreshed. I am doing much much better today. A lot of the pressure and bloating has subsided. So much better. Stopped taking my nausea meds today and am doing good. I am going to try to stop taking my pain meds tomorrow. Trying to get ready to go to work Monday so I need to walk a lot over the next couple of days too to get my energy up! Thank you for asking!

Alexa. How are you you. Did you go back to work. I'm hoping you are healing and feeling ok.

Glad I found this group. My BMI is 35. I am 44 years old, 5'2" and weigh 197. I do have sleep apnea and gerd. My surgery date is 12/11 - I start my pre-op diet on Fri - would love to keep in contact with you all!

Hi there I just turned 40 this year and had surgery too. My bmi was 34.6 on surgery day September 5, 2014. I am also very active and have struggled with keeping weight off. I have lost weight many times but I can't keep it off, and also never getting more than 50 off - which still didn't put me at a normal Bmi. I eat healthy, no bread, no Pasta, no dairy, I hate soda, just meats fruits and vegetables. But I have always had a sugar problem. Been begging for help for years from the doc.

I wish my weight-loss was as successful as the poster above, but it has been terribly slow for me. I am 12 weeks out and have only lost about 25 pounds. I am lucky if I lose a pound a week now. I am constantly frustrated, I'm still counting calories eaten and calories burned. For the life of me I cannot figure out how I could have so few calories and not be losing weight. I understand I'm probably building muscle but it doesn't help in my mind when you're not seeing the scale move. I agree with the poster above that having that control over your food that you can no longer binge eat is so very helpful. It's still hard the mental concept of eating though, you still crave wonderful foods and want to treat yourself to something yummy that you've always liked, yet it's so disappointing when you can only get just a few bites of it in. Your tummy is full but your mind is not yet satisfied.

So the last 3 weeks I have been the same weight, not constipated, counting calories, doing dance exercise, eating about 1000 calories and burning 400-500. I don't want to hear about starving yourself or not enough calories blah! I've never seen a fat anorexic person. You'd think something has to give! Anyways I hoping that in the long run that I'll get to my goal.

I just want to put it out there that the weight may not magically fall off. I am still having to work hard at making the right choices and put in the daily physical requirements.

And as for my sugar problem.... (Thankfully) sadly I get terribly sick from too much sugar now. It's like the sugar is absorbed much faster and I feel sweaty and sleepy and nauseated. More than 1/2 a cookie, 5-6 m&m's I'm feeling ill. That part of it is hard because I have had the sugar problem for over 20 years and sugar has been a great antidepressant for me. I always felt good eating sweets. So I know it's a good thing, but it's hard to look away from my friend. ????

Edited by Noragretz

Oops

Edited by Noragretz

@@gertiesboys

Hi! I am really in no position to be a mentor as I am just fumbling my way through recovery and readjustment to this new way of living, but I can share with you my experiences.

I was sleeved apx. 9-10 weeks ago. I am 5'6", weighed an average of 214 with BMI of 34ish. I was 197 day of surgery with a BMI of 32.

I've lost 30lbs since then. Over 50% of my excess weight. I'm down two pant sizes (almost a third!). Recovery was pretty easy...I was able to sleep normal after just two days, drink pretty easily, no pain at incision sites.

Mt two biggest adjustments have been learning when to stop eating/take small bites/chew & eat slow...and learning new stress coping skills since I can no longer "eat my feelings away".

I kept my surgery secret from everyone in my life...at first. The day before surgery I told my best friend and my mother. Just today I told my sister. I feel like I had to do more in-depth explaining and justifying of my decision than perhaps a higher BMI persons who has co-morbidities has to explain.

Here are some of my main points:

1. The science is showing that the surgery has more successful long term results for lower BMI individuals.

2. Low BMI'ers have an easier recovery and less complications.

3. Lot's of people have cosmetic surgeries everyday....this is a surgery with real health benefits in addition to cosmetic improvements.

4. I need something to physically keep me from binge eating. I NEEDED a smaller capacity stomach.

5. Having this surgery has been like hitting the "reset" button on my life-long eating habits and psychological attachment to food. I've been released from a 1000 pound emotional anchor I've been dragging around for decades.

6. It may seem very extreme but it's really not. It's a laproscopic surgery not a full blown operation, quick recovery time, does not reroute the digestive system, and allows me to eat any food in limited quantities. We're not loosing an organ...we're just making it smaller!

7. The research shows stomach cancer survivors who've had a complete surgical stomach removal have normal life expectancies after surgery (bar any other cancer related complications). Living with a smaller stomach will not affect life expectancy.

8. In this worldwide battle against obesity, pre-emptive steps are becoming more important. Why wait until our BMI is 40 and we're 100+ pounds overweight with co-morbidities when the medical profession can now step in before it's gets so out-of-hand?

Today I am still learning so much about my new body. Being aware of my Last Bite has become much better. At first I was eating a few too many bites and felt miserable. Getting in the recommended Protein and liquids is an everyday focus. Eating every few hours has been a challenge, especially when I'm at work. Replacing food with other coping methods has been challenging as well.

There was some time around weeks 4-5-6 that I had moments of regret. Mostly it was when I could only eat three or four bites of food. I just wanted to eat something! I just wanted to take a bite, chew, swallow, bite, chew, swallow without all of the thought and uncomfortableness. Suddenly around week 7 my stomach swelling must have gone down a lot and I could eat more....not a lot, but enough that I can feel almost 'normal' when going out to eat.

I have found so much POWER in the fact that I can eat just a small amount of food and be satisfied, that I can leave food on my plate, and that I can order the healthy Protein rich item instead of the junk-food carby menu item. I finally feel like I control my eating, nit that my eating controls me.

This was expensive...$14,000 out of pocket, but it is the best decision I could have made for myself. I see it as an act of Self-Love. I love myself enough to make this very tough and serious decision. I love myself enough to sacrifice my comfort-zone food habits and embark upon this wls journey.

Good Luck to you in your journey!! I've learned so much from reading other's experiences and have a lot of appreciation for those who've taken the time to be a supportive part of this community. Please continue to share your questions and experiences.

Inspirational! Great info, a lot of it applies to me and I ve done a lot of the same things although I'm just getting starting....1 week post op

Alexa. How are you you. Did you go back to work. I'm hoping you are healing and feeling ok.

Hi Zane's Mom- I went back to work Monday and for the most part it has gone well. I have been exhausted in the evenings and Tuesday and yesterday I have been weaker...I guess due to the lack of calories. I am doing better at getting my Fluid and Protein in now so I think that is/will help. Still feeling a little "out of sorts" but I've read that's pretty normal. How are you??