Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Struggling to lose pre op weight

Hi. I'm just here looking for motivation/mentors/advice. I am struggling to lose the pre surgery weight and it's starting to get me down. I know this surgery is the best decision I can make and my big chance to save my life but maybe deep down I am scared. I am not working right now and am a stay at home mom. My husband and I agreed I can continue to stay home while I go through the process of having the surgery then can look for work after. I think I am scared of the after math of the surgery. I should just be so excited because I want this so badly but there is this mental block I keep putting up. I have only lost a few pounds but should have lost more than that by now. It's been 5 months since I first met with surgeon. I have 29 pounds to lose mean while this is affecting my loved ones because I need to work again. My husband is the only one working and our family helps us if they can because they know I'm not going to work until after my surgery and they want me to get healthy just as much as I do. What is wrong with me? Why can't I just get it together, buckle down and lose this weight?

Were you given a diet plan to follow? Example Protein Shakes and lean and green meals? Were you just told to lose the 29 pounds so you could be considered for the surgery? Who told you to lose the weight? Maybe if you provide a little more information so help can he advanced to you.

I did too .... I think we just have to retrain our brains to get moving....the fact is if you lose some of the weight your new beginning is over... so I keep telling myself if I want this bad enough I'll make it happen and so far I'm down 5 of the 10 lbs I need to lose...i'm not on my pre-surgery diet yet but it's coming...9/05 is potential sleeve date...good luck to you

finediva I was accepted into the program for bariatric surgery and part of the guideline from my surgeon was to lose 10% of my weight. I had already lost 5 pounds when we met so I have 29 more to go. Yes there is a plan which is made up of a 1200 cal diet. 3 meals no Snacks, high Protein and some carbs. Eating plan is part of the program given by the nutritionist and surgeon. Hope that's enough info

Edited by jayb30

I did too .... I think we just have to retrain our brains to get moving....the fact is if you lose some of the weight your new beginning is over... so I keep telling myself if I want this bad enough I'll make it happen and so far I'm down 5 of the 10 lbs I need to lose...i'm not on my pre-surgery diet yet but it's coming...9/05 is potential sleeve date...good luck to you

Wow that's right around the corner. Thanks for the advice...I appreciate it. Best of luck to you and I cannot wait to be that close to my date

finediva I was accepted into the program for bariatric surgery and part of the guideline from my surgeon was to lose 10% of my weight. I had already lost 5 pounds when we met so I have 29 more to go. Yes there is a plan which is made up of a 1200 cal diet. 3 meals no Snacks, high Protein and some carbs. Eating plan is part of the program given by the nutritionist and

surgeon. Hope that's enough info

OK. So work the plan my love. Start by cutting back on your sugar intake. Make small changes. Work on reducing your carb intake. You will see immediate results and yo u r cravings will start to diminish. A little trick I used......keep pieces of grill chicken, hard boiled eggs and small shrimp in the fridge at all times. Reach for small portions when you feel hungry or crave carbs.

Hi jayb30, You seem to be putting so much pressure on yourself from what seems to be coming from outside of you that it's hard to stay focused. This is the time for you to be thinking about yourself - and what's best for you. Something has to click within you to say to yourself that you're ready to do this. I know that before I went to the doctor, I was (as most of us) on every diet known to man. I would, literally, begin in the morning - and be off of it by 2-3 in the afternoon. Or, I would see the next day that I lost a pound and start eating again. I don't really know what that something was in me that made me think that I'm ready to commit to a new lifestyle - maybe wanting to be able to cross my legs again, play on the ground with my grandchildren, whatever... I decided that I wanted to have surgery. Before my husband retired, our surgery didn't cover the surgery, but since we've been on Medicare, I'm told that the gastric sleeve is covered. I made an appt. with a doctor who was recommended to me by my primary care doctor. We talked, he was wonderful. While I was in the room waiting for him, I saw a book that he had written called, "A Pound of Cure." I began reading it and was really interested in it, so I bought it and I have been following it profusely. Sometimes I am so surprised that I am able to follow it, since I am a chocaholic, a bread eater, all candy, etc. I can't believe that my cravings for these things have really gone away. Please take some time for yourself and go to his website: drmatthewweiner.com and listen to some of his seminars. I find him very inspirational and very thorough. I love his book and have read it a few times. I've just completed my 3 months that Medicare requires and I see the doctor on Monday, so I hope I get a date for my gastric sleeve. The most important thing for you is to have a good support system. Try not to put these threats on yourself- that you have to go back to work, etc. Put on some music and dance around a room when you began to worry about things. I will be 68 tomorrow and finally, after so many years, I'm ready. I laugh with my husband - that after I lose the weight and if I have plastic surgery, I will be a 69-70 year old with perky breasts. Won't that be funny!! Good luck to you and all of us!

Hi jayb30, You seem to be putting so much pressure on yourself from what seems to be coming from outside of you that it's hard to stay focused. This is the time for you to be thinking about yourself - and what's best for you. Something has to click within you to say to yourself that you're ready to do this. I know that before I went to the doctor, I was (as most of us) on every diet known to man. I would, literally, begin in the morning - and be off of it by 2-3 in the afternoon. Or, I would see the next day that I lost a pound and start eating again. I don't really know what that something was in me that made me think that I'm ready to commit to a new lifestyle - maybe wanting to be able to cross my legs again, play on the ground with my grandchildren, whatever... I decided that I wanted to have surgery. Before my husband retired, our surgery didn't cover the surgery, but since we've been on Medicare, I'm told that the gastric sleeve is covered. I made an appt. with a doctor who was recommended to me by my primary care doctor. We talked, he was wonderful. While I was in the room waiting for him, I saw a book that he had written called, "A Pound of Cure." I began reading it and was really interested in it, so I bought it and I have been following it profusely. Sometimes I am so surprised that I am able to follow it, since I am a chocaholic, a bread eater, all candy, etc. I can't believe that my cravings for these things have really gone away. Please take some time for yourself and go to his website: drmatthewweiner.com and listen to some of his seminars. I find him very inspirational and very thorough. I love his book and have read it a few times. I've just completed my 3 months that Medicare requires and I see the doctor on Monday, so I hope I get a date for my gastric sleeve. The most important thing for you is to have a good support system. Try not to put these threats on yourself- that you have to go back to work, etc. Put on some music and dance around a room when you began to worry about things. I will be 68 tomorrow and finally, after so many years, I'm ready. I laugh with my husband - that after I lose the weight and if I have plastic surgery, I will be a 69-70 year old with perky breasts. Won't that be funny!! Good luck to you and all of us!

Thank you so much for feedback and I think you are absolutely right. I am putting an immense amount of pressure on myself and thinking too much about other things rather than just focusing on myself. I will definitely check out that web site. I wish you the best of luck. It sounds like you have the right mindset and ready for this. Happy Birthday and you are surely going to be bringing this year in with a bang that's awesome

Did they do anything with exercise?

Yes exercise is definitely part of that plan. I haven't had too much trouble staying active it's the eating that has me in trouble

OK. So work the plan my love. Start by cutting back on your sugar intake. Make small changes. Work on reducing your carb intake. You will see immediate results and yo u r cravings will start to diminish. A little trick I used......keep pieces of grill chicken, hard boiled eggs and small shrimp in the fridge at all times. Reach for small portions when you feel hungry or crave carbs.

I am going to try this starting tomorrow keeping some good Proteins ready to just grab and eat if I have a craving. I am putting too much pressure on myself and I need to take my time and make small changes like you said.

I was given three cases of Protein drinks and that's all I'm supposed to eat before surgery. I've been doing it for 5 days and I think I've only lost 2 lbs. I think they were looking for 10 lbs.

I was given three cases of Protein drinks and that's all I'm supposed to eat before surgery. I've been doing it for 5 days and I think I've only lost 2 lbs. I think they were looking for 10 lbs.

What kind of Protein shakes? Did the doc give them to you?