Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I take my daily meds?

I have a HBP, Liptor and Cybalta (for fibramyalgia) to take. Just crushed them and put them in yougurt which is awful. Took two swallows and into the garbage it went.

Was just banded yesterday. Help!:help:

I have a HBP, Liptor and Cybalta (for fibramyalgia) to take. Just crushed them and put them in yougurt which is awful. Took two swallows and into the garbage it went.

Keep trying to crush them... it will get easier. I find the most efficient way is to crush them and put them in a small glass with some strong tasting juice (grape or pineapple works for me). If you REALLY can't do it, and the pills aren't too large, cut them up into a few tiny pieces.

Call your doctor or pharmacist to make sure that the meds you are on are crushable. Some meds are time release, and when you crush them, you get a full 24 hours worth of medicine all at once. That can be dangerous. You can call your prescribing doctor, the pharmacy where you get your prescriptions filled, or your surgeon. They should all be capable of answering your question. And they may have a solution for you to try....

Good luck! Hope your recovery goes well, and WELCOME to bandland!

Like Travelgirl said, you need to contact your docs or pharmacist. You may want to see if your meds are available in liquid form instead of pill/capsule form. I've also heard of people putting their crushed meds in applesauce...Just an idea. Hope that helps.

Yes... what the others said! Of course you should first make sure to check with a pharmacist or physician to ensure the pills are crushable

I'm not sure how big your pills are, but I'm on BCP, Zyrtec, which are both pretty small, and I have been swallowing them since the day of surgery (4 days ago). I've also been swallowing Norco, which it the pain med. I haven't had any problems, and my Dr. said that usually pills can be swallowed because we don't have any fill, but if it causes you discomfort to make sure that they can be crushed before doing so. Hope that helps!

Hi,

I was banded last week. I take Paxil and a thyroid med. I have no problem swallowing them. You could try and see how it goes. You dont have your band filled, so you might be surprised! Good Luck! As always, ask your Doc!

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Janette

I'm not sure how big your pills are, but I'm on BCP, Zyrtec, which are both pretty small, and I have been swallowing them since the day of surgery (4 days ago). I've also been swallowing Norco, which it the pain med. I haven't had any problems, and my Dr. said that usually pills can be swallowed because we don't have any fill, but if it causes you discomfort to make sure that they can be crushed before doing so. Hope that helps!

The quote in your signature is one of my favorites. It is so true how our thoughts ultimately lead to our destiny. We have to be careful what we're telling ourselves. That negative self-talk is sabotage! I know it's a little off the topic, but I just had to say that.

I take about 12 pills at night and I do not need to crush them. I have not had any problems. I have not had a fill yet either.

try putting it in only 1 tablespoon of yogurt so the whole thing doesn't have to taste nasty. 2 bad bites and its done. but like others i'm able to swallow small pills. one is a capsule and I have to open it and then i put it as far on the back of my tongue and drink water...putting it far seems to pass the taste buds.

I take about 12 pills at night and I do not need to crush them. I have not had any problems. I have not had a fill yet either.

You know I crushed mine until I just got tired of it and swallowed one. I waited the usual 30 minutes and nothing. So guess who stopped crushing pills? I just take them with my Water, one sip to slip the pipe, down they go with another.

My doctor said anything smaller than a plain m&m and I should be ok.

I crushed for 2 days - blek

I broke in half for 1 day - seemed rought

By day 4th day, I swallowed them one at a time whole.

but of course - check with your doctor, nurse or pharmacy. and if you try it, start with the smallest one.