Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Buffet restaurants?

I was invited by friends to a buffet brunch. There were wonderful Protein choices. I ate slowly and made sure I tasted what I wanted to. And zero guilt about one bite of something that wasn't wonderful and throwing out the rest! It was fine and I didn't overeat. I think as long as you see the buffet as not a place to "get your money's worth" you'll be fine.

I had the surgery so I could be in control of my life. It's not easy but i am doing it!

We have two places where I live, I don't go there anymore, but one of them charges by the pound, the other charges a flat price.

My group of doctors gives there WLS clients a card that states we can only eat a small amt. of food and some have said its illegal not to allow u to eat a child portion if it's on the menus

Our doctor gave a card stating that we had a gastric procedure. If the server doesn't honor it, speak with a manager. They will allow u to order off the child's menu. It's not illegal. That's for regular restaurants not buffets.

While I will do everything in my power to avoid going to buffets, it isn't always going to be possible.

An option that I've read about is to ask about a To-Go order. From what others have stated, many buffets will charge by weight for a to-go order, so you can get what you need, pay the appropriate price, but then just opt to eat it there rather than leaving with it.

I try to avoid buffets since I know I will not get my money's worth of food. About a month after surgery I went to a buffet to Celebrate my mom's birthday since buffets are her favorite (she weighs only 95 lbs). However, I won't go again because all of the different food smells made me nauseous.

Edited by missbrown30

My preop team said people either love or hate buffets. You can probably understand the hate part of it. One of my nurses (who had RNY herself) said some people love buffets because you can have 1 bite of 7 different things, allowing you to experience a variety of tastes. We're all different and will decide what is best for us!

I just went to a buffet for the first time since surgery (6weeks) last night for my youngest daughters birthday. I had a couple bites of steak some veggies and a spoonful of sugar free chocolate pudding.

I most likely didn't get my Protein in for dinner. But I didn't over eat, eat too fast, or get sick.

Of course I didn't "get our money's worth" on as much as I ate. However it wasn't about that. It was about spending time together celebrating a birthday.

I have wasted money on far more stupid things.

My two cents....it is obnoxious to respond to a legitimate question with a lecture that has nothing to do with the original question.

I am glad you are able to purchase just an appetizer at the buffet you will be visiting.

I am not planning on allowing this surgery to hamper my social life and I am not planning on allowing my social life to ruin the benefits of this surgery. The beauty of most buffets is that there are always healthy food choices. Heck, even pizza buffets usually have a salad bar. While I am not going to choose to go to a buffet, if the group I am with chooses to go to one I am not going to be antisocial. I will suck up, pay the price and choose the foods I should be choosing.

Thank you, and I 100% agree.