Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I know everyone's is different, but could someone please tell me what to expect when I wake up from surgery. As much detail as possible.

You can see me here, being wheeled back into the room right after surgery. You can expect a lot of pressure in your chest and to feel very exhausted.

I had my surgery two days ago. They woke me up and asked if anything hurt - I said I was thirsty and they said too bad. :) Wheeled me back to my room (which I think I slept through) and then I napped there the rest of the day. I got up sometime later in the night to try and walk but didn't make it terribly far. I didn't have any real pain until mid-day the next day - none of the heavy chest gas pains they said might happen. So the whole waking up process was pretty easy for me.

You take this nice nap and then they wake you up and keep you in recovery long enough to determine if you will be o k enough to be taken to your room. I did not have the gas pains either, but boy was I thirsty. Take Chapstick. You will need it until they let you start sipping Water. My pain was not bad at all until the morphine wore off, and then it was only my biggest incision for a couple of days. They will probably give you more fluids than you can drink, but make the best of it. I took books, puzzles, and music, but mostly just slept. When I got home, I think I was only using hydrocodone just to help me get through the night for a couple of nights. Get up and walk about as soon as you can. When you get home, it will help to sleep elevated in your bed or in a recliner for a few days, so that getting up on your feet won't pull on your tummy so much.

Had my surgery Tuesday at North Vista Hospital (you are in Vegas, too, right?) When I woke up I definitely felt groggy. I looked around the room, and immediately a nurse was at my side telling me hello. I didn't feel any pain - just soreness. I cleared my throat a couple of times, then the nurse asked me if I would like some ice chips. I of course said yes, and she gave me some. (My doc does the leak test during surgery, so I didn't have to stay and have it the next day). I asked her if the doc was able to do the sleeve (I was a revision) and she said yes, he completed the band removal, hernia repair, and sleeve. I farted a couple of times (LOL-TMI but you asked!). Then, before I knew it, they were wheeling me back to the pre/post op area. I stayed there about 3 hours then went home. I was very lucky to have such a smooth experience. I hope yours goes just as well!

Thanks guys this is helping me to get ready psychologically and not be so nervous. I think I'm more nervous about being able to drink/eat afterwards and do everything right after surgery. I had gallbladder surgery a few months ago. I was really sore. It was extremely hard to get up out of bed for about a week. I had a single incision robotic surgery and I was a big baby with the pain for about 3 days. I hope I do better with this surgery. I am prepared that's for sure.

Had my surgery Tuesday at North Vista Hospital (you are in Vegas, too, right?) When I woke up I definitely felt groggy. I looked around the room, and immediately a nurse was at my side telling me hello. I didn't feel any pain - just soreness. I cleared my throat a couple of times, then the nurse asked me if I would like some ice chips. I of course said yes, and she gave me some. (My doc does the leak test during surgery, so I didn't have to stay and have it the next day). I asked her if the doc was able to do the sleeve (I was a revision) and she said yes, he completed the band removal, hernia repair, and sleeve. I farted a couple of times (LOL-TMI but you asked!). Then, before I knew it, they were wheeling me back to the pre/post op area. I stayed there about 3 hours then went home. I was very lucky to have such a smooth experience. I hope yours goes just as well!

Cool. I'm glad your experience was good. I'm going to be down off of Flamingo at the surgery center for oband with dr lyass. I am going to be so scared I think. My husband wants me to be happy but I think he is really scared too

It is scary - I started to cry as soon as I had to move over to the operating table (did really good before then!). But they were super nice and understanding and told me they would take good care of me. The anesthesiologist asked me if I was local. i said yes. He then asked what high school I went to and I think I told him - but the air vent on the ceiling that I was staring at went blurry - and then I woke up! :)

I think I I woke up a little earlier than they expected me to to because I REALLY had to pee. I was alone in the room and I took off my oxygen monitor and went to the bathroom pulling my little IV stand along with me, and I swear I peed for like an hour. And then I went back to bed and hooked myself back up again, and the nurse came in thinking I was still pretty out of it, and said everything had gone well, and not to try to walk around without help in case I still felt woozy.

I was like "Oh.. umm... yeah, sure. No problem!" ;)

Edited by Tamlyn

Awesome I'm feeling better already. How did you all do adjusting to the new way to eat and how much we can eat?

Follow whatever your bariatric team told you.

For myself, I started out with 1/3 of my Protein item (about an ounce if solid, like chicken breast) and 2 tablespoons of steamed veggie, and if I had room, 1/2 serving of fruit. Now that I am eight months out, I can comfortably eat 1/2 cup (or 2 ounces solid protein) and a little bit of veggie, like a few green Beans or couple of sprigs of steamed broccoli. Maybe at bedtime I will have 1/2 cup of yogurt with some berries. In between all of that, I am sipping all day. If I haven't met my Protein goals the previous day, I will start my day with a Protein shake

Follow whatever your bariatric team told you.

For myself, I started out with 1/3 of my Protein item (about an ounce if solid, like chicken breast) and 2 tablespoons of steamed veggie, and if I had room, 1/2 serving of fruit. Now that I am eight months out, I can comfortably eat 1/2 cup (or 2 ounces solid protein) and a little bit of veggie, like a few green Beans or couple of sprigs of steamed broccoli. Maybe at bedtime I will have 1/2 cup of yogurt with some berries. In between all of that, I am sipping all day. If I haven't met my Protein goals the previous day, I will start my day with a protein shake

How much have you lost