Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

wth? hospital feeding rules vs what we supposed to have. I'm mad!

Wtf??!!! My husband was readmitted to the hospital last Wednesday for pancreatitis and blood clot from his sleeve surgery on the 18th. The hospital has been letting him drink apple juice but we are not allowed to drink it outside of the hospital (I got rny on the 18th also). They gave him cream of wheat, vanilla pudding and one other food today that are all not on our list to eat and were strict not to have it on our paperwork from bariatric office, PLUS sleevers don't eat food until 3 wks out (according to our surgeons office)and that's next Friday. Wtf???? So does that mean I can eat that crap too??? He needs protein!! They are not helping him start this in a good way and he doesn't say anything or ask anything and he thinks I'm being ridiculous for this concern. I'm mad at them and my husband for not standing up for himself and his health!

I am in the hospital with pancreatitis right now also. I think hospitals have a base bariatric menu. Right now I am on Clear liquids only, but when I went home from the hospital after my surgery I was able to have things like unsweetened applesauce, greek yougurt no chunks 6 gr sugar, cream of wheat, sf pudding, Jello,Popsicle. Protein shakes...

I have RNY so I don't know if it is any different, also all surgical groups are different.

We have the same foods list but he's not supposed to start foods until next Friday. Those foods are not on our list. He's going to come home and think he can continue eating that non nutritious crap and it's ok because the hospital gave it to him. They are not giving him enough Protein either. He is not caring enough and it's making me mad.

Pik, what did your dr say about pancreatitis and bariatric surgery? Did he also say that it can.happen about 1:1000 patients?

I hope.you feel better soon!

Pik, what did your dr say about pancreatitis and bariatric surgery? Did he also say that it can.happen about 1:1000 patients?

I hope.you feel better soon!

No. No one ever said that to me. The hospital is not giving me any type of Protein either. They didn't after my surgery or the last admit or this one.

Ya, pretty dumb huh?

Ya, pretty dumb huh?

Yep, it kind of is. I think their main concern is keeping me hydrated with iv fluids. They are letting me have Clear Liquids now, and the chicken broth tasted like what a wet dog smells like......ugh. I had my fiance' bring me some tea bags, so herbal tea for me.

Ya, I couldn't drink that chicken broth. It was discusting. They have me Apple juice too, and not sugar free and I had a bypass. I don't understand why they don't have a bariatric diet. Crazy.

He has sf chocolate pudding, sf vanilla pudding, Tomato Soup, cream of wheat, and I forget what else, all of which are not on our approved food list and are shitty foods to eat but Dr ordered them. Didn't even order him a banana, lf cottage cheese, greek yogurt and all that with good Protein and nutrients and I'm sure the hospital has this stuff. I don't get it.

I hate this dr. For more than just this. I should have trusted my gut last Saturday and brought him to the ER, even after I called the Dr to tell him he's not doing well at all and all he said was to drink more Water. Made my husband suffer 4 more days until post op appt. That's the second time I should have trusted my gut. The first time was at orientation when I didn't have a good feeling about him and the way he answered me after I asked him a simple question. Jerk. He has also never even examined me, before, right after or post op and when I ask him a question he answered it as if I'm totally annoying and he can't be bothered with me. The only time I've given him attitude was the morning after surgery when I told him I was mad at him for refusing to give me demerol, which is the only pain med that works on me and I told him that before. Plus the nurses couldn't get a hold if him for 9 hours to try a different pain med (diludad) when the morphine wasn't working. The diludad didn't work either, neither did the tramadol he sent me home with. Hydrocodone makes me sick so that's out. But I KNOW demerol works. I suffered all that time. Even the nurses were in my side and were proud of me for chewing him out. He left without even telling me how my surgery went or anything. Discharged us the next day and he still didn't tell me anything.

At post op appt he examined my husband, told me to bring him to the ER then come back to do my post op. When I did he couldn't be bothered to see me or answer a couple of questions I had so the nutritionist relayed back and forth. I went in the next day to see if someone could check on one of my incisions because it felt weird (bulging like a hernia). He came in the room finally and wouldn't feel where I was showing him and told me it was all normal and the dimple would go away. I wasn't talking about the dimple but above it where it hurt. He argued with me and all I wanted him to do was feel that spot to tell me it was ok or not. He still didn't.

I just feel so angry with him, sad and rejected. :(

Edited by itsmekarenlee

Well that is awful. I wouldn't appreciate any of that either. I never saw my surgeon after the surgery but he did call me and told me how things went. He had told my fiance' in person.

All of those foods except for the juice are on my liquid diet for 2 weeks post op, which I have surpassed but still have to be on due to all of this stuff I am going through.

I usually will call the dr on call if something is the matter but if I feel I need to be seen, I will go to the er. I was right both times and was admitted.

Are there any other drs in the practice you can see? Something like this is life long. I did not use the first surgeon I met with. I didn't feel good about how he was treating me, and pushing me off onto other drs so I saw one of his partners and was happy with him.

When I was admitted last week I did end up with that other surgeon as he was on call.... I will be thinking of and praying for you both.

That is tough both of you having the surgery at the same time!