Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone lose over 100 initially then gain back and recover to get back to goal weight? I need a process/schedule/recommendations please!

Here's my story, I'm looking for some guidance on how you got back on track because I am feeling lost and hopeless. Wondering whether Lap Band is a total fail....

10/08 - Banded by an out of state surgeon who is not retired (Dr. Kirshenbaum at Lap Band Rockies in Aurora, CO)

08-13 - Fills done by Dr. Ricciardi in Las Vegas, NV (doctor just went out of practice)

Lost 110 lbs in first year at a rate of about 2 lbs a week - followed rules very easily initially but several life experiences got me back into drinking and ignoring band rules.

07/10 - Divorce - drinking started (weight 173)

01/11 - Miscrarriage at 4 months along - drinking escalated (weight 185)

03/11 - Job Loss - more drinking (weight 190)

6/11-7/13 - Horrible Stressful Job, height of drinking (weight at time of leaving job 205) - In the midst of this job I was overeating and throwing up a lot, had to be completely unfilled at one point because I feared it had slipped. Had to start taking antacids all the time because of endless burning. Eventually got filled back to 5 ccs in a 8cc band.

07/13 - Moved from NV to CA, excellent job, engaged now - trying to quit the drinking cycle and get back on band rules.

03/14 - Did an IVF cycle in March - gained from meds (weight 215)

May 2014 Changes

1.) Seeing a trainer 2-3X week

2.) Recommitting myself daily but struggling with motivation

3.) More sitting at this job, less activity

4.) Trying to remember band rules but I'm having a hard time with following

5.) Daily struggle to not drink alcohol - I know this is my biggest issue

How do I get back on track? Any suggestions welcome!!

After some research, I realize now that I have recently done a modified pouch test of myself. It started because of HORRIBLE reflux that was ruling my life-- I literally was throwing up everything I ate and was miserable. I put myself on a liquid diet to make it through finals (I'm in nursing school)... And my band started actually feeling like it was there again (I had it completely unfilled over a year ago because of the vomiting and in the interim had my gall bladder out). I researched stuff AFTER I did my makeshift diet and realize I essentially did the pouch test on my own. I'm fighting hard to lose my weight again... Hoping you can get even keel again. The drinking is huge, just because the band won't be able to do anything to help you there. Nor will it really help with the IVF drugs-- those things are killer. My BFF went through it herself. But ugh... I feel ya, hon.

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm in Grad school too and I find the more stressed I am, the more I slip back and forth. The reflux is horrible! I'm beginning to think I might eventually get a chronic disease from all the antacids I've been taking. It's tough because I had to tell my fill doctor in 2013 to take everything out because I thought it slipped. He wasn't even sure he wanted to do a fluoro. He basically just said a lot of band patients are having to have them removed and he was going out of the lap band business because he no longer believed in their efficacy. He said I was his only patient left that was a veteran that was still doing pretty good.

I refuse to believe it is a fail.

I really don't think it's that bands are a failure-- it's that its just so easy to get around their restriction. And as overweight people we KNOW ways to get our fix of foods (or I do, anyways)! I KNOW my band can work for me-- I also know that I cheated that puppy for almost 4 years, so I can see their concern. But, I've got friends who went the bypass route who have gained back pretty much all of their weight, so by that reasoning, all WLS is faulty, right?

true. It just worries me when they're trying to sell me on a revision to Roux en y or something like a sleeve. Recommitting myself but it's tough!

I think you're not failing. You're having delayed success. You still are down from your original weight. You still know all about the tool, and how to use it correctly. I had Dr. K also, in Sept of 08. Find a new bariatric doc who supports you, and your correct use of the tool. Write down everything in a food log. You can do it!! Good luck.