Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Starting from scratch... But with a WAY better attitude this time!

Hi everyone! My name is Melissa. I was banded by Dr. Zapata in Monterrey, Mexico back in the spring of 2010. This is a bit long, but I gotta get it out... Maybe it'll help people who end up in my situation. Who knows?

Unfortunately, I went into the surgery with a HORRIBLE attitude. I just sat back and expected my band to do ALL of the work for me without me actually making any changes. If I ate too much or too fast, I just threw it up. No big deal, right? Of course... I wouldn't even admit that to myself. I for the LIFE of me couldn't figure out why I was sick EVERY SINGLE TIME I ATE!

In spite of all of that, I DID manage to lose about 60 pounds, but... Because of the vomiting (that again, I just couldn't make sense of) my band was ultimately drained and I was diagnosed with gall stones and had my gall bladder removed to help with the constant sickness. Lo and behold, I had my gall bladder removed last Thanksgiving (2013) and the vomiting didn't even slow down. Stress made it worse. I'm currently in nursing school and I WAY know about stress.

We had finals a couple of weeks ago and I couldn't focus to study because I was literally throwing up everything I put in my mouth. So... To try to take my mind off of my stomach pain and puking, I switched myself to a liquid diet. That lasted from Saturday night until my final Wednesday morning. Amazingly, I felt a lot better. I wasn't throwing up. My constant sinus pain-- apparently the result of reflux while I was sleeping that was burning my sinus cavity-- vanished. I DID NOT DO THE liquid diet FOR WEIGHT LOSS. Remember? I was in denial. My band was just broken. It did nothing. Who the heck knew why I always threw up? Maybe I had stomach cancer... (LOL I swear I'm not usually so melodramatic)

When I started eating solids again, I was reluctant. I felt a lot better and was kinda sad to think I'd be giving it up. So I did was professional students do. I researched. Guess what? People who don't respect their WLS and don't change their habits tend to have the issues I was having. A more. And giving my banded stomach time to heal with no puking allowed my band to actually make its presence known. So, I figured what the heck...

I started back like I had just had surgery. Soft foods eaten slowly. No drinking with meals. Smart food choices. You know.... All the stuff I was meant to do the FIRST TIME around. And holy crap, it's like I've actually had WLS. Even with an unfilled band. I have restriction. I'm content with a cup to a cup and a half of food. I haven't thrown up in weeks. I've lost 20 pounds. Head hunger exists. I don't like it, but I can cope. Because dang it, I paid for this surgery and even if it was 4 years ago I'm gonna get my money's worth!

So, that's where I stand. That's my story. And I'm back. And this time, dang it, I'm gonna do it right!

~ Melissa ~

We need more people like you posting here. Great attitude and here's to you succeeding this time!!!

Best wishes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go. It is a fine art learning to not cope with stress by eating.

Melissa, thanks for posting this. I could have written mostly the exact same words. My band was put in 5 years ago. The first two years, I followed the rules enough to lose 20 pounds. After having multiple bad fills, I gave up on the band. I too paid out of pocket and felt as of yesterday, this band will work for me. I was going to make an appointment for a fill, but decided to just follow the rules and let the weight loss happen.

Good luck on your journey. I'm here cheering you on!

2911, I'm right there with ya! I hope we get to follow one another's success!

Last night was a ROUGH night for me. I battled head hunger from after dinner until I finally forced myself to go to sleep-- I didn't cheat and snack, but MAN I wanted to!

I'm trying to approach this leg of the journey as an addict. I read some stuff from Overeaters Anonymous that talks about taking it ONE DAY AT A TIME. I can't commit to a lifetime of good choices, heck I can't even promise myself a week! But I CAN control myself one day at a time.

It's a start, yeah? ????

I truly understand the head hunger thing. My biggest pitfall is snacking. I am going to be in control of that. Only healthy foods will be eaten when I feel I must have something extra. My go to snack is sugar free Jello.

I read your post a second time because it was so motivating. What did you allow yourself on the liquid diet? I need to give my tummy a break and get back into WLS mode.

Well, since I wasn't doing it as a diet, really, I had no restrictions to my liquids. I did soups-- mostly cream based just because I was stressed and creamy foods are my comfort foods. LOL But, it did give my stomach a rest which probably helped the inflammation at my band go down which put an end to the pain and stomach upset (and ultimately the reflex which was SO at the heart of my issues). I did full liquids for 4 days and mushies for 3 days after that. I'm back into solids, but eaten super carefully. I haven't thrown up since I started the liquid diet, nor have I woke up with burning sinuses (a common occurrence prior to this revelation) from reflex.

You can do it!!!

I have posted in the past that I too suffered from same issue lost in 2010 80 pounds and then gained back 60.., I woke up and figured my doctor sucked the first time. Found a new doctor , went on u-tube and looked up 8 golden rules by doctor obrien . Helped me understand what the band does and how important follow-up doctor visits are to get the best results. Keep in there Green Zone is the goal

Hi I know how u feel I been band 4 yrs.and it's been a struggle I have lost about 80 gained back 40 now I have to get back right like u all said u paid for it, let's make it work girls.If any of u r like me I'm tried of this weight but we do it to ourselves no control just stuffing our faces trying to find comfort in food that's me. Get bored and just eat and then throwing it up that's not good.So now I'm starting this journey over again this time I have to do it I'm tried of this weight.So Do Something About it Only You Can Do It.Good Luck Ladies.

Edited by maryjaja

Well you just work that band girl!! Good for you.

I hope everyone is doing well. I want to report that I am doing well since posting my return on Sunday. I am down 3 pounds as of this morning. I feel if I post my results more often than once a week, it motivates me to keep doing the right thing. I am very visual so to see my ticker moving in the right direction is an awesome feeling.

I have not totally restricted my diet. I have increased the Protein and cut out as many carbs as possible. I'm eating smaller portions and consciously stop eating when I am full. I usually snack all day on the most unhealthy food items. Rather than eating candy all day, I've allowed myself 2-3 pieces in the evening. I don't think I can cut candy out completely. This way I will not crash and burn. In the past, I would go a few days without a treat, but before the week would end, I would come from the store with candy, Cookies and ice cream and binge on it all. It was an endless cycle.

How do you all handle the cravings?

Lady VS where do you live? I'm in Atascocita.

Not far from you. I live in Crosby.

2911 , I have the same issue. Your candy addiction is like me, but mine is yogurt and granola . I have it every night . I don't skip a day. That is my reward I give myself for doing well all day. You have to give yourself a reward. Your doing great first few days are hard, I avoid scale watching unless I go to my weekly doctors office, and monthly support group..