Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty

Hello everyone,

Am seriously thinking of having this procedure done. Is there a Dr. in California who is currently performing this procedure?

I am 33 years young, 5'2", & 190 pounds.I go to the gym at least 4 times a week. Have been trying to lose weight for the past 4 years. Killing myself at the gym and seeing no weight change has me very depressed. To be quite honest, I've always binged eat. Too bad it has finally caught up :( I need to change my eating habits asap. I love my life thanks to my beautiful family. But I am eating my life away. Phentermine no longer helps (weaned off it over a year ago). My stomach is too stretched out and have horrible hunger pains when I try to diet. Causing me to just give in. I am minutes new to this site. Pardon if I have posted this thread in the wrong section. I just need someone to advice me on where to go from here. I want to change my belly size and feed it food for health, happiness, and beauty. I am so tired of looking at pictures and not recognizing/accepting the new me :(

If you are using insurance to pay for it- find out who in your area is in the book. Go to various surgeons' seminars and see which one you like.

Your insurance may/may not have requirements for you to follow. 3 month, 6 month, 1 year weight loss documentation with a physician

Call your insurance and find out now before you go down the path

@@H3LP, welcome. There are a lot of really nice people here and lots of good info. Your struggle sounds like many others on here. Of all of the things you said one phrase stood out; binge eating.

I would strongly encourage you as part of your pathway to health and surgery, to seek counseling as well. Whichever procedure you may decide on, it won't fix your brain or your heart. Whatever drives you to binge eat will not be fixed through weight loss surgery (WLS).

In fact, as you read through people's posts, you'll notice a lot of folks saying they wished they had dealt with the mental aspect (food addiction) before having surgery, because it is much harder afterwards to battle. Some people have no trouble at all and some people leave one addiction (food) and quickly swap it for another, such as alcohol. There are even some people who return to their old destructive patterns, stretch their sleeve out and regain weight.

So my best advise is to research as much as you can and address the underlying issues to the best of your capacity, and with or without surgery you'll be successful. Best wishes to you.

I had the Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty done at mayo clinic in MN. Two doctors there developed this surgery. It is for patients with a BMI of 30-35.

The surgeons are training others around the country to perform it also. It is not covered by insurance and costs $10,000- $15,000. I am 2 weeks out from surgery and have lost 10 lbs. it's a great tool and I'm so glad I was able to get it.

To

Floridagirl2 -- I would be curious on follow up information regarding your endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty! I am seriously considering that procedure. Would you recommend the procedure now that you are a few months out? Has weight loss been consistent for you since then? Also, was there a choice in locations? It stated on the web site that Florida is an option - is that accurate? Thanks for any information!

Hi Floridagirl2 I have visited the mayo In Rochester, have met with the doctors, psychologist, completed the 12 weeks of behavior modification, which has given me the tools to be successful post op. I have lost 20 pounds and BMI is now 36.2 and I hope to have the surgery very soon. Can you please tell us how you are doing with your surgery? I hope you have bee pleased. I am choosing to do this because I think I will be happier with the procedure and I hope to get my weight down to 140 with ESG and BMI will be 26.5. Then I have to have a knee replacement. I expect the knee recovery to go fast with this weight lost. Thanks !!

Hello everyone,

Am seriously thinking of having this procedure done. Is there a Dr. in California who is currently performing this procedure?

Hi H3LP. I know there are surgerons that have been trained by the mayo Clinic in Miami and NJ. don't know about California. Good luck !

I just had mine in Mexico. 5000.00. I'm so glad I chose the Dr I did and patient coordinator I did. Could not be happier. Dr ponce de leon with Trish as coordinator

I just had mine in Mexico. 5000.00. I'm so glad I chose the Dr I did and patient coordinator I did. Could not be happier. Dr Ponce de leon with Trish as coordinator

I knew it was a new procedure. In fact at mayo Clinic they still call is experimental. Was it out patient? Are you on a liquid diet for now? I have lots of questions !!

Ith and dedegold,

I had this surgery in Sept and at this point have lost 40 pounds. My surgeon called a few days ago to check in with me and was very pleased with my progress. My weight loss has slowed down but am still losing and would like to lose 20 more.

Dedegold, was there anyone in your 12 week course that is having this procedure? Did u have Sarah Kalsy as the group leader? In my group there were 2 other gals that had it and we still keep in touch. Even though they say that insurance won't cover it mine was covered! Another gal that I know got hers covered too! I was so glad about that. I see that you are from MN,where abouts? I'm from Rosemount and know someone else from there who had this same procedure. She is doing really well with it too. This surgery was truly the miracle that I needed! I'm only 5'2" and was in the 180's. My goal is 125. Hopefully by summer I'll be there.

I have my follow up appointments with the surgeon, the Psych.,the Endo and Nutritionist coming up in May. Do you have your surgery date yet?

If either of you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them!

@@dedegold it was done in the hospital. I spent 2 nights in the hospital, one night at hotel and then came home. No pain. Just uncomfortable bloating. Any questions, ask away...

Hi Florida girl.

I did not do a group program at mayo. I was in Florida for the winter and met with a behavior modification councilor for 12 weeks. This councilor has just faxed my report to Paul the surgery coordinator at Mayo. I already met with the endo guy, and the psych. dept. in Nov. after I went to the information meeting last Oct. But they knew I was going to be away for the winter and the lady in the Psych. dept. OK'd me to do individual meetings for this requirement

Who did your surgery? I started with BMI of 40+ but I have lost 20 pounds over the winter. BMI now is 37. So I hope to be able to have the surgery done in another month. Only 7 lbs more to have BMI at 35 !!! So I hope the wait to have this done is not long now. I hope to loose another 50 pounds then get a knee replacement. After that I should be able to do a lot of walking to maintain my weight loss. Did you have to limit yourself to liquids after the procedure? For how long? I live in the Twin Cities. Thanks !! Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Goldy6575
The doctor at mayo Clinic told me no overnight stay with the endoscopic procedure. In and out the same day. No incisions to heal. All done through the mouth, down the throat and right into the stomache to create the sleeve.

I was told I would not have to do the liquid diet prior to surgery either. This seems so much simpler and what I am hoping to have done soon !!

Thanks.

I had the endoscopic sleeve gastroplaty yesterday. I did not have to do liquid diet nor did I stay overnight. It was an outpatient procedure. My insurance covered the procedure. I have a sore throat due an endoscopic suturing device going down your throat.