Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty

Hello, I'm a newbie here. I think this endoscopic procedure is my best option and am wondering what I need to do and what all is involved to have this procedure done at mayo? Also, are they only doing it at Mayo Rochester, or are they doing it at Mayo Scottsdale? Thanks for all info.

I don't know if the AZ mayo does this or not Suggest you call them and ask for the Bariatric Dept to inquire. I do know that there have been some dr. who do this in Miami and on the east coast. I do know that you have to have a BMI of under 35 for this procedure at Mayo Rochester. Good luck !!

Hi...I had my procedure at NY Pres Hospital. My BMI was 40...since April 8 I lost 13pds ..it is a slower weight loss than the Gastric Sleeve. .but I prefer to lose 13 than gain it. The mayo Clinic charges $10,000. My insurance covered my procedure

I am scheduled to have this procedure done at Beth Israel in New York City on November 13 and wondered how different is the post-op diet from the sleeve surgery with this one. I do know that there is no pre-op diet like there is with the surgery. I just want to be prepared.

I'm scheduled at mayo in Minnesota for march 14. My bmi is 37. Trying to get to 35 by surgery date. It's costing $15,000 plus my flight and hotel etc. Wish there was a doctor closer doing this new endoscopic sleeve. Anyone who has had this procedure im interested in hearing from you.

Hi I'm meeting with the mayo clinic on April 18th to see if the Endoscopic Sleeve is for me. I'm meeting with the endocrinologist etc.

Is there anyone one the procedure that like to share how they are doing, feeling, weight loss, etc. I know the mayo conducted a trail in 2014 with about 35 people and I would love to hear if the weight loss is stable if there is any issues after 6 months? a 1year or 2? etc.

I see that some insurance companies have covered for this surgery, I'm calling my insurance company on Monday to see what they can do, I have BCBS in Minnesota .

love t hear from anyone how they are doing I wish everyone the best of luck and success :)

Hi Florida girl.

I did not do a group program at mayo. I was in Florida for the winter and met with a behavior modification councilor for 12 weeks. This councilor has just faxed my report to Paul the surgery coordinator at Mayo. I already met with the endo guy, and the psych. dept. in Nov. after I went to the information meeting last Oct. But they knew I was going to be away for the winter and the lady in the Psych. dept. OK'd me to do individual meetings for this requirement

Who did your surgery? I started with BMI of 40+ but I have lost 20 pounds over the winter. BMI now is 37. So I hope to be able to have the surgery done in another month. Only 7 lbs more to have BMI at 35 !!! So I hope the wait to have this done is not long now. I hope to loose another 50 pounds then get a knee replacement. After that I should be able to do a lot of walking to maintain my weight loss. Did you have to limit yourself to liquids after the procedure? For how long? I live in the Twin Cities. Thanks !! Glad to hear that you are doing well.

Edited by Lakegirl12

Hi and thanks for the question. After some delays at the mayo Clinic, I decided this was not for me. I found out about the Orbera balloon procedure which is a temporary thing and I had the balloon inserted by endoscopic on on Feb. 4 Done in the dr's office. No hospital stay. So far I have done pretty well. You can read about Orbera on another thread on this website..

Insurance does not pay yet. Mine cost $6200 includes all on gong visits and removal of the balloon after 6 months. Google Orbera balloon to find out more. This is new to the US but has been done elsewhere for almost 10 years.

I have lost almost 20 pounds I am also exercising as they insist you must also do. This is for people who do not have a lot of weight to loose with a BMI under 40. Let me say this is not an easy thing I have good days and bad days (if I over eat) but it is a learning process. I would like to loose another 25 pounds and I think I will make this goal weight.

Hi and thanks for the question. After some delays at the mayo Clinic, I decided this was not for me. I found out about the Orbera balloon procedure which is a temporary thing and I had the balloon inserted by endoscopic on on Feb. 4 Done in the dr's office. No hospital stay. So far I have done pretty well. You can read about Orbera on another thread on this website..

Insurance does not pay yet. Mine cost $6200 includes all on gong visits and removal of the balloon after 6 months. Google Orbera balloon to find out more. This is new to the US but has been done elsewhere for almost 10 years.

I have lost almost 20 pounds I am also exercising as they insist you must also do. This is for people who do not have a lot of weight to loose with a BMI under 40. Let me say this is not an easy thing I have good days and bad days (if I over eat) but it is a learning process. I would like to loose another 25 pounds and I think I will make this goal weight.

Hi and thanks for the question. After some delays at the Mayo Clinic, I decided this was not for me. I found out about the Orbera balloon procedure which is a temporary thing and I had the balloon inserted by endoscopic on on Feb. 4 Done in the dr's office. No hospital stay. So far I have done pretty well. You can read about Orbera on another thread on this website..

Hi thank you so much for responding, I'm so happy to hear your doing somewhat well, I'm sure its an adjustment in so many ways, I did look into the Orbera balloon, that was my first choice; Dr. Feltchen at MN gastro does it for 7500, there was a lot of discussion about the nausea after.

I'm a 5.2 and 185 p, BMI 35, 48th year old its been a struggle for me for over 11 years, and I have tried everything and I mean everything, after my research I think the endoscopic sleeve would be a better long term choice , but I'm meeting the Mayo doctors on April 18th so I'm hoping to know more . could I ask what made you change your mind and go with the orbera?

I hope you are having a great day today and thank you so much for your honest communication I really appreciate it

>Hi and thanks for the question. After some delays at the Mayo Clinic, I decided this was not for me. I found out about the Orbera balloon procedure which is a temporary thing and I had the balloon inserted by endoscopic on on Feb. 4 Done in the dr's office. No hospital stay. So far I have done pretty well. You can read about Orbera on another thread on this website..

Hi thank you so much for responding, I'm so happy to hear your doing somewhat well, I'm sure its an adjustment in so many ways, I did look into the Orbera balloon, that was my first choice; Dr. Feltchen at MN gastro does it for 7500, there was a lot of discussion about the nausea after.

I'm a 5.2 and 185 p, BMI 35, 48th year old its been a struggle for me for over 11 years, and I have tried everything and I mean everything, after my research I think the endoscopic sleeve would be a better long term choice , but I'm meeting the Mayo doctors on April 18th so I'm hoping to know more . could I ask what made you change your mind and go with the orbera?

I hope you are having a great day today and thank you so much for your honest communication I really appreciate it

On 4/28/2015 at 9:55 AM, cruummbs said:

Hi...I had my procedure at NY Pres Hospital. My BMI was 40...since April 8 I lost 13pds ..it is a slower weight loss than the Gastric Sleeve. .but I prefer to lose 13 than gain it. The mayo Clinic charges $10,000. My insurance covered my procedure

Hi there cruummbs, I am in NY- Close to NYC as well and wanted to know what doctor you used ... if you dont mind sharing. I hear its not covered by insurance and would prefer the ESG over VSG... Please feel free to private message me. Look forward to hearing from you.