Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery and Aunty Flow on the same day

Saw my surgeon today and booked my surgery date YAY!!! But... It's the same day as my period is due :( obviously after waiting this long to have this done, I'm not about to reschedule because of it... But I'm a bit stressed that this will be embarrassing and gross and just one more thing I'll be worrying about in the lead up to my big day.

Did anyone else experience this?

Didn't happen to me but I have seen tons of posts here about this. Just make sure that the nurses getting you admitted know. They have seen it all and believe me will treat you very professionally and not bat an eyelash - but they do need to know. Good luck!

I was on my cycle when I had surgery. It's really not a big deal. I'm a nurse so I knew it was nothing the surgery team hadn't seen before. I told them in holding before undressing and that was that. Don't cancel your surgery over a menstrual cycle. That's just a normal part of life.

I was too- no biggie. Just tell the pre-op nurse when you get there. They made me where one of their maxi's and special underwear. (sorry tmi)

I am also afraid of that. If I schedule my surgery when I plan to, I will probably be on my cycle to. I was on my cycle for a foot surgery too, and it was all ok............don't reschedule. it isn't like they haven't seen blood before! don't stress!

i got mine the day before surgery and as previous members posted, it was definitely not a big deal. don't sweat it and good luck with your surgery! :)

I started my period the day before my surgery (of course!). I was embarrassed but the nurses were so great, they were very accommodating and didn't make it awkward at all. You do have to wear there stretchy white undies and use pads, no tampons. And they do catheterize you, which is uncomfortable but for me came out as soon as I was able to get up and walk. After they took my cath out I was able to go into the bathroom and get cleaned up and everything was fine. It's really only awkward for us as the patients, my nurse told me they see it all time with us being so nervous and whatnot before surgery (people starting early) so no worries :)

I got mine while still in the hospital the day after surgery. Nothing to be embarrassed about but it was a hassle - having to get out of bed so often (ouch) to use the bathroom, heavier flow due to heparin shots and those pesky nurses wanting to track urine output by having to pee in a cup attached to toilet (no, just no no no with all the blood flow).

I was really worried because the morning I woke up for surgery my period had started. I read on here that it's really common for women to start their periods right before or right after surgery. I guess it's a shock to the system or something.

Anyway, it turned out not to be a big deal at all. The only thing that bothered me was that I wasn't allowed to wear a tampon during surgery. Not sure why, I guess it's not sterile or something. Anyway, the nurse gave me a pair of cheap panties made of a really thin material (kinda like cotton depends I guess) that had a pad built in. I wore those during my surgery and after.

I was pretty out of it for like a day after surgery but I vaguely remember when my husband took me to the bathroom each time not seeing hardly any blood on the pad. I don't know if that's typical or not but I honestly don't remember changing out of the crappy panties until I got home and even then they weren't all bloody and gross. I think the stress might have slowed down my flow.

I started mine that morning, in the hospital. Funny thing about it is: I hadn't seen it since May! :(

I was horribly embarrassed, but it was okay. The flow only made an appearance when I used the restroom, and it was not heavy enough to require more than a pantiliner.

Edited by OnePhatWhoDat

Yep, was due to start the same day and the nurses admitting me took care of me. I didn't actually start till after surgery and was back in my room that afternoon. Wasn't too bad. Just hard to deal with the IVs in and pulse ox on.

I started the day after, and I was also worried about it. It wasn't a big deal,the only issue I had was that it was exceptionally heavy and lasted almost 10 days. The nurse told me it was due to the blood thinner shots that I got 2 times a day for 3 days during my time in the hospital.