Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meal ideas for mushies?

On mushies.....would love to know what you all had for meals....best I can tell...oatmeal, cottage cheese, mashed stuff. My daughters were creeped out by the liquid stage (even though they don't know about the band) and this stage doesn't seem much better. I've tried potatoes twice and I feel like I ate a plate full of rocks. Should I be afraid that I'll never have a normal meal again? 15 days post op...15 pounds down...wooohoooo!

Congrats on the loss!!!

Some mushies (not recipes, I don't cook) I am planning to do.. grits, crab cakes (confirmed, other banders said crab cakes work well for mushies!), ricotta cheese cooked with Tomato sauce (mmmm), and my doctor said for mushies I can incorporate tuna and chicken (Bleeeeh), if pureed into a salad.. they sell pre-packaged tuna and chicken salads in the cold aisle at grocery store...I think where they have deli meats. Could toss some of that in a bullet.. I plan on getting the tuna one. Pimento cheese maybe too.. just dawned on me, that's sold in same area as those, not sure nutrition on pimento cheese, but its worth a look :)

I am on mushies (almost 3 weeks) for a dilated esophagus. I am eating almost anything, once it's been blended. All kinds of Soup (homemade). I just pulse it a few seconds to make the pieces very, very small. Homemade beef stew (with potatoes and carrots, onions,etc) was terrific! I could do chili, too, but it gives me indigestion.

Also lots of Beans. Pinto beans, blackeyed peas, lima beans, etc. The pintos are great if you blend them up and top with cheddar cheese, then microwave for a minute. It's just like the pintos and cheese at the Mexican places.

I peel and steam sweet potatoes, then mash with zero calorie "butter" and some brown sugar Splenda. Those are yummy!

Applesauce.....I buy the little cups that come in different flavors. strawberry banana is my favorite.

SF Jello with FF Reddi Whip on top (much better than Cool Whip).

My doctor describes mushies as anything you could eat if you didn't have teeth.

I haven't been banded yet, but I have a recipe for a chicken spread that is very good, and may work for mushy stage.

1 small can of chicken

1 block of cream cheese ( I use the fat free)

2 to 3 green onions, chopped fine

1 tbsp fat free mayo

1/2 tsp worchestire

1/2 tsp lemon juice

garlic salt to taste

Mix well by hand. I haven't really looked at the amount of Protein in it, but it's a very soft spread used for crackers or bread. I guess you could put it in the blender and maybe use a little more mayo to thin out.

And it always tastes beter the day after you make it. The garlic salt has time to set in.

Hope you like it,

Lynette:)

You can eat soft lunch meat too like deli sliced breast of turkey. Tell them to cut it thin. Just chew it very well. My stage after liquids was called soft.

It didn't necessarily have to be mushy. String cheese was on my list too.

My doc said a mushy is anything that you'd be able to eat if you didn't have any teeth. Refried Beans were one of my favorites, warmed up with a little shredded cheese melted on top...mmmmm!

Go to tickerfactory.com. You can choose your Weight loss ticker and slider, fill in your info, and go to edit and choose copy. Then go quick links at the top of this page and edit signature. Paste your ticker in your box and save.

Lynette

A great mushy is any kind of mild fish or canned chicken mashed up really fine and then topped with a fat free alfredo sauce recipe that I have.

Once you get to regular food the alfredo sauce is great over just about everything! My current favorite is to have a small bed of brown rice, a piece of broiled tilapia on top of that and then the alfredo sauce with Tomato, onion, mushroom and spinach added to the sauce..YUMMY!!

Here is the recipe:

Quick Creamy Alfredo Sauce

1 c evaporated skim milk

1/4 c liquid butter buds

1/4 c flour

4 tsps fat free chicken broth (broth, not the crystals)

1/4 c fat free parmesan cheese

1/4 tsp minced garlic

salt and pepper to taste

In a small saucepan over low heat, blend flour, butter buds, skim milk and chicken broth. Add garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until sauce thickens. Stir in parmesan cheese and serve immediately over anything you want!

I often leave out the parmesan cheese and garlic and use the base as a basic white sauce. I then can add reduced fat cheese if I want a cheddar cheese sauce. I don't have problems with Pasta, so this cheese sauce makes a killer mac and cheese...not as tasty as the real thing, but a darn good substitute if you're really watching fat and calories.

The recipe as written makes 1 3/4 cups of sauce and has 63 calories.

Hello everyone,

I haven't posted for a while, as I am working full time. I had my first fill Nov. 14. I lost 20 pounds since the lap band surgery on Oct. 1. I'm doing well, hope all of you are doing well, also.

206/186/135

I'm planning on being banded on December 23, 2008. Just had a thought the other day about baby food. Has anybody heard of negatives to eating baby food in the mush stage? I mean already pureed and portion controlled. Are the meats sufficent Protein? As for taste, that wouldn't bother me, I'm weird that way, I like like airplane food too! HAHA

Baby food is on the my list that the Dr. gave me. I am on my second day of mushies and I am eating Gerber 3rd foods. I was told to look for high in Protein and low in sodium. I hope this helps. :( Rusty

On mushies.....would love to know what you all had for meals....best I can tell...oatmeal, cottage cheese, mashed stuff. My daughters were creeped out by the liquid stage (even though they don't know about the band) and this stage doesn't seem much better. I've tried potatoes twice and I feel like I ate a plate full of rocks. Should I be afraid that I'll never have a normal meal again? 15 days post op...15 pounds down...wooohoooo!

I made chicken and blended it with fat free gravy and veges and sweet potatoes seasoned to taste. any meet blended tastes like it wasn't just different consistency. Good luck. When you eat real meals stay away from mushy stuff you will stay full longer just chew it real good. Angcal26

I've had to go back to mushies after this last fill. I never needed to do it until now. I'm so glad baby food isn't the only answer. I have an immersion blender and try to use that for now. Thanks for the infor everyone.