Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

1st Fill - Liquids for 2 Weeks!!!!!!

Hi There,

I had my first fill this Tuesday, I was banded on March 28th in Belgium (I live in London - UK). It was only 4 weeks since I was banded, but I was in Belgium on a business trip and the doctor agreed to give me a fill even though it was only 4 weeks since the op.

It all went will and I was given 3.5 cl in a 12 cl band.

I was astonished when the doc said I should now go on liquids for 2 weeks and then mushies for another 2 weeks.

I was really disappointed as I was just getting used to eating fairly normally again.

Is this normal? What have the rest of you been advised?

Many Thanks,

Dave

Yes, I had the same. He explained it by saying it was like my stomach had trama with the fill and needed to adjust again.

edie

I believe the standard is liquids the day of a fill mushies the day after and then solids again. Unless you get stuck, then it's back to liquids and go thru the cycle again. However it is also the standard to wait a full 6 weeks after surgery to get a fill. Maybe he is being extra cautios because your surgery was only 4 weeks ago. Either way, listen to your surgeon, even if he isn't mainstream.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm going to be hinest here, I really don't think I am going to manage two weeks on liquids. I have done four days now and will probably start to go onto mushies tomorrow.

Dave

Although I haven't heard of many that have to do that I would do what my doc said. They all have different theories. Mine is first day liquids, 2nd day mushies and third day start solids. good luck.

I guess it depends on your surgeon. After my fill I only had to have mushies/soft food for the rest of the day then I was back to my regular diet.

Dave,

Maybe the reason he wanted you on prolonged liquids is to aid in your healing process. 4 weeks post op is pretty early for a fill. Anyway, you might want to call and ask him his rationale.

I have 3 days of liquids after the first fill and one day of liquids for subsequent fills. But, like others said, since you had a fill so soon after surgery, I would do my best to stay on liquids!

Ok, here is the deal. I managed 4 days on liquids and then one day on mushies and then I went back to fairly normal foods. However, I have been sensible and have had fairly soft foods.

I feel a little guilty about this, but in all honesty I also feel great!! I'm healthy and losing weight gradually.

I'm not advocating breaking the rules, I know it''s wrong. I'm just being honest.

Don't feel guilty, I think that it is very EXTREME for a Dr. to expect that. Some people get a small fill every 4-6 weeks, that would mean that all they ever consumed was liquids! If we could handle that we wouldn't need the lapband. That is the normal for the 1st month after surgery, I have seen 2 diff. docs and neither call for such an extreme. Sunnysea

Dave don't rush the mushies, It's not pretty. Hold out for as long as you can stand it.

Dave don't rush the mushies, It's not pretty. Hold out for as long as you can stand it.

Debbydo, The band is made to work with solid foods to stay in the pouch longer, liquids and mushies go through easier. I was overfilled my 1st fill and had to have some taken out, if you are not able to eat solids after a few days you are overfilled and nobody wants this. But you do want to be able to eat. I notice alot of people skip meals and only consume protien drinks, to have the band work the way it was intended to you need to consume real food, protien drinks could suppliment in-between meals. Sunnysea

I with you on the way the band works, I however, rushed into scrambled eggs in the very beginning (2days after banding) and I had problems and was rehospitalized. I stayed on loose mushies for 2 weeks and had realized a significant weight loss.

My comment to Dave was merely me being nosligic about the rapid weight loss and those darn eggs.< /p>

Thanks for clarifing my points for a newbie that may have taken it the wrong way.

Debby

I was told to do liquids-shakes, etc. for 2-3 days after the fills. Perhaps the doctor meant 2-3 days. and not weeks. It is worthwhile to ask again.

Fran

<p>I got a fill Friday and am on full liquids through today, then back to diet as usual starting tomorrow. Am looking forward to my half an applesauce-bran muffin from the local coffee shop.</p>