Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So my surgery date is 9/8. Dr Curry makes his patients buy food for pre op from him at $94 a week!

So another $376 to spend the month b4 surgery.

I think is BS but for the best I guess.

Can you "another doctor!".... This is crazy! I have seen a lot of different diets from different doctor suit I haven't seen one doctor make you buy their food, not even their shakes. Wow! This is a new one! Sooooo what does this food consist of?

Would love to know what kind of food you're buying??

I have no idea. I pick it up on 8/11 when I have my nutr class. I can't really go to another Dr I have already paid him $400.

Oh I understand not switching at this point because of the money and time you've put into it. But dang...but hey, although the cost us crazy, this might be a good thing. I struggled with what to eat or nit to eat during my pre-op diet. Please post what it us when you pick it up. Interesting....

Will do. I'm super scared to get put under since I have Apnea, but I'm so excited for this new life.

I'm a recent Dr Curry patient. It's like a Medifast pre-packaged/powedered diet. You must be doing a 30 day pre-op diet with him like I did. Some patients only have to do a week, some 2, some 3, some a month. I actually had about 10 or so boxes left over I wish I could have given to someone. They won't let you turn them in for a refund, but they will let you turn them in to swap for something else you like better.

It does suck to pay the extra money, but it is designed to pull the sugar out of your liver so you have the safest surgery possible. When I went in for my 1st post op visit they had some new flavors and some new brand they were using in addition so I can't say what you'll get for sure but it's mostly eggs (scrambled or omelet), Soups, shakes/puddings and Protein bars although you can only have 1 Protein Bar a day.

I have sleep apnea and I was TERRIFIED to be put under. Scared, scared, scared. So scared I thought about cancelling. The day of surgery when I met the anesthesiologist all my fear vanished. I hope you get the same one. He is a ray of sunshine and very good at what he does. Dr Curry's office will take good care of you.

Thank you so much!! Yes I'm very scared. So it was all liquid diet?

I'm a recent Dr Curry patient. It's like a Medifast pre-packaged/powedered diet. You must be doing a 30 day pre-op diet with him like I did. Some patients only have to do a week, some 2, some 3, some a month. I actually had about 10 or so boxes left over I wish I could have given to someone. They won't let you turn them in for a refund, but they will let you turn them in to swap for something else you like better.

It does suck to pay the extra money, but it is designed to pull the sugar out of your liver so you have the safest surgery possible. When I went in for my 1st post op visit they had some new flavors and some new brand they were using in addition so I can't say what you'll get for sure but it's mostly eggs (scrambled or omelet), Soups, shakes/puddings and Protein bars although you can only have 1 Protein Bar a day.

I have sleep apnea and I was TERRIFIED to be put under. Scared, scared, scared. So scared I thought about cancelling. The day of surgery when I met the anesthesiologist all my fear vanished. I hope you get the same one. He is a ray of sunshine and very good at what he does. Dr Curry's office will take good care of you.

No, not really liquid but not what I call SOLID either. The eggs are powdered and you add Water to them and they turn into regular scrambled eggs. There's also oatmeal but I didn't get any of that but it's regular oatmeal after you add the Water.< /p>

The Soups are mostly liquidy. Cream of Tomato, cream of broccoli, cream of chicken...etc. I really liked the chicken noodle and the chicken and wild rice, There are tiny noodles in them. There was also a chili that I didn't try. So they're not totally liquidy, but not solid food as I think of it. Then again, that's how I got up to almost 450 pounds ;)

The shakes/pudding are one and the same. If you add 4 ounces of water it's a pudding, add 8 oz it's a shake. There are drinks like berry fizz and mango but personally I stayed away from those pre-op because I wanted to have something that felt more like food.< /p>

There are also Hot Drinks, but again, I stayed away. I mostly had eggs and soups every day. I had a Protein bar once a day. I had so much left over because I usually ate only 5 a day, sometimes 4. I turned mine in to swap for the Fruit Drinks and a couple of packages of Protein Bars after surgery because I figure those will help me with Protein.

Each item has between 12-15g of protein and very little carbs or sugar. You can have as much sugar free Jello, sugar free popsicles, and broths in between meals as you want. I did that to supplement. I got a lot of sugar free Jello. I also sometimes used broth instead of water to make some of the soups taste better.

I won't lie to you, it's not fun but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Making your liver smaller presurgery makes for a safer surgery so it's for the best.

Did they do an liver ultra sound? Im starting to freak out about the things I have read with people who got cut for no reason because the liver was too big for surgery. I have about 7 weeks till surgery so I'm sure I can lose enough weight.

Did they do an liver ultra sound? Im starting to freak out about the things I have read with people who got cut for no reason because the liver was too big for surgery. I have about 7 weeks till surgery so I'm sure I can lose enough weight.

I didn't have a liver ultrasound. I asked about that and an endoscopy because I kept hearing that people were having them done. Dr Curry told me that he went by my bloodwork both by my primary care physician over the years and the bloodwork he had drawn at my nutrition class. I believe the liver enzyme part of the bloodwork gives him a good indication of the liver size and function.

I was nervous that he would have to convert to an open procedure for me because I am mostly all stomach and I've had prior abdominal surgery and feared the scar tissue and my abdomen size would keep him from doign it laproscopically. Nope, everything was perfect. I woke up in a little pain but completely managable and (I was at JourneyLite) left 4 hours later.

If he thought you needed extra testing, I am sure he'd do it. He's on top of things. He's done a LOT of surgeries. He really helped my fear when I asked him "How many sleeve patients have you lost at JourneyLite?" and he looked me right in the eye and said "I've never lost a sleeve patient anywhere and there's no way I'm starting with you."

He's going to take care of you.

wow that is awesome! I seen on my paperwork that they keep you for 23 hrs. I'm shoked you left in 4.

I live in Columbus so I was released after 4 hours to a local hotel. They said to come back in the morning if I was unsure of anything or having issues or just to go straight home if I was feeling okay. I felt pretty good and went home.

I hope your surgery goes as well as mine. Out of the 30ish pain pills he gave me I took exactly 3. I took 3 anti-nausea pills as well. My pain never reached more than a 6 out of 10 and after 48 hours it didn't hurt at all.

I think my paperwork said 23 hours in one place and up to 2 days in another place. I was up and walking within 1.5 hours of waking up and was feeling ready to go at 4 hours.

me too! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to me. Is it ok if I stay in touch?

me too! Thanks so much for taking the time to talk to me. Is it ok if I stay in touch?

Of course! Anything you need, just let me know!