Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

There seems to be a lot of variation in duration and type of pre op diets, but as I'm on day 2 of mine I can tell you what I'm doing. I have 3-4 shakes a day made with a Protein Powder that has 100-200 calories/serving and 5 grams or less of fat/sugar/carbs and over 15 grams of Protein. I can mix it with water/skim milk/ unsweetened almond milk and am also permitted to add fresh fruit. For dinner I'm supposed to have a meal with 4 oz of lean protein/1/2 c. starch/1 c. cooked veggies(Not peas, corn or lima beans). I am allowed raw veggies to snack on.

I'm not going to lie, today was tough, especially when I had to go grocery shopping. Other folks say it gets easier after the first 4 days and I'm counting on that!

Good luck to you!

Doctors will differ on this? I had no pre op diet and many others also didn't have one. Sometimes it's a judgment call by the doctor. Low BMI patients may have smaller livers and don't need to shrink the liver as much as someone who is 40-50 BMI?

Anyway, there are dozens of different pre-op diets so the only person who will know this is your doctor or his staff?

My preop was a Protein Meal Replacement shakes and one low calorie meal, which included 3oz of meat and veggies and 2 snacks....and then after..post op was 2week all liquid, then soft foods. The pre was hard BC I was hungry but my post ( I'm 7days out) is ok BC I'm not hungry. But sick of these protein shakes! Congratulations and good luck!

Every doctor is different...Mine was two shakes and one "lean and green" dinner (4-6 ounces of lean meat and a veggie). I had to this for 2 weeks.

For me, the first couple of days was hard - really hard. Then I got in a groove and my body just "went with it". Decaf Green tea helped with the hunger - I drank a lot of it (my doc required me to be off caffeine prior to surgery).

I can tell you that 8 months later - it's totally worth the sacrifice. Everything I have been thru has been totally worth it.

My pre op was 3-4 shakes a day, unsweetened applesauce, light yogurt, SF pudding, broth, Water, unlimited raw veg for 2 weeks.

then i was liquids only for 48 hrs prior to surgery and Clear Liquids the day before.

i did Protein shots POST op for the first 48 hrs as directed by my nut. the Protein in the shots is not as absorbed by the body so not the preferred option, but a lot of protein in a small amount.

My pre-op was 14 days, and consisted of Protein shakes 3x/day. I was allowed up to six in any combination of low-fat string cheese, V-8, 1/4 c. cottage cheese, 1/4 c. apple sauce, or 1/4 c. SF pudding. I was allowed any amount SF Jello or popsicles.

The first day or two weren't fun, but after that, it didn't bother me a whole lot. I rarely ate all six allowables (2-3 was about all I managed. After the first few days, my hunger decreased greatly, whether it was because of the liquid diet or because of nerves, I don't know, but I was happy)

Hat exactly will the pre op diet be like

I started my pre-op diet monday this week. Mine sounds more generous. I am to have 3 Protein Shakes and 3 meals a day. Women even have 4-6 free choices per day. Goal is 120-150 grams of Protein per day. I had totals do far of 147 and 151. Its hard to get it all in. I put one carton of protein mix in the car just in case I am gonr for the day. It was my lifesaver on Monday!

Mine sounds awful compared to all of yours lol I can have 5 Atkins shakes a day, broth, sugar free Jello and popsicles for 14 days... I am on day three and hungry :( I just have been taking it a day at a time, sugar free bomb pops are awesome versus the sugar free popsicles

yes, each program can be vastly different from others. I have a list of approved foods. mostly a high Protein, low carb, low calorie 3 week diet. day before surgery is all liquid.

for example, yesterday I ate:

Breakfast: Protein shake

Mid morning snake: greek 100 yogurt

Lunch: Thai chicken Larb with lettuce and 1/3 cup brown/white rice

Afternoon snack: Asian pear, light string cheese

Dinner: low carb tortilla with 3oz chicken, 1/3 cup black Beans, loads of fresh salsa