Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Everyone I was wondering does anyone know how long you have to wait before you can eat ice cream I fount this and want to try it so baddddddd com one week post op.

post-223200-0-80967500-1404372869_thumb.jpg

I wouldn't do that right now if I were you. Ice cream is not considered a liquid. It is a mushie level and one to be careful about as it is a slider. When you are over all the stages and can really control how you view food. I would try it..But alas that is not right now...Your new tummy is very sensitive to anything right now..

Please follow your surgeons advice and do not alter his directions okay...:)

Someone posted a recipe for a banana blizzard Protein shake. Basically, you slice up a banana and freeze it. Add it to your Protein Shake and when you blend it, it comes out like a blizzard. Very very good but a little high in calories.

I make my own Protein ice cream.... Cake Batter or vanilla or chocolate Protein Powder, Water or milk, Greek yogurt and any number of combinations of Torani syrups (gingerbread, hazelnut and Carmel, chocolate, banana, Irish cream, etc). No sense starting up bad habits.

I keep whole bananas in my freezer. I put half in my Protein shake each morning. It's not too high bad calorie-wise.

But...as to WHEN you should try something like this post-op....that is up to your doctor. I wasn't allowed to add fruit to my Protein Shake for nearly three months post op. And, I wasn't allowed ice cream during that time either.

Talk to your doc about it. Follow their advice :)

If you make your Protein shake in the bender w/crushed ice it'll be just like an ice cream shake or frappe. You can create your own favorite flavors by starting w/a base flavor of Protein powder like choc, van, coffee, or cookies&cream, and add your favorite sugar free flavored syrups (like Torani or DaVinci). You can add fruits when cleared by your doc. Add razberries or strawberries to chocolate, peaches and cinnamon or blueberries to vanilla, etc. Visit the website "The World According to Egg face" for many, many Protein Shake recipes. She also has recipes for homemade protein ice cream. I like Healthy Choice Greek frozen yogurt. I don't eat it often but I keep on hand for anytime we're having ice cream so I can have a refreshing treat, too.

A tip: when cleared by your doctor you can add some ground flax seed, raw spinach, or oatmeal to your shake. Small amounts of these things give you added nutrients w/o changing the flavor of the shake. :-)

Edited by terry1118

So I discovered that vanilla Protein shakes with almond milk and a dash of Torani Syrup tastes a lot like strawberry ice cream (just melted). I'm planning to get one of those little ice cream machines so I can make my Protein ice cream.

I would definitely look at the sugar count on the one you found. Even if it's high in protein, if it's high in sugar it should be off the list. Especially as early as you are.

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/ has a million recipes for Protein ice cream and other foods for all stages. Time to get creative!

Not sure where you are in your surgery healing. If you are allowed yogurt, look in the yogurt section Yoplait has the Whipped version, I found if you freeze them, they are perfect for a not so bad treat. Taste like ice cream.

I was on full liquids on week 2 post-op, so I let myself eat about 1 tablespoon full of vanilla a day. I could hardly tolerate eating anything else outside of Cream of Mushroom Soup and sugar free Popsicles.

I would stay away from anything other than the frozen Protein shakes for the first few months. Build on creating better habits while the restriction is at its strongest.

I am actually afraid of EVER eating ice cream again. First, I would have to say that chocolate ice cream has always been my favorite treat, even when I was previously thin. However, I developed a very bad habit of dealing with work stress by stopping at Baskin Robbins on my way home from work. This developed into an addiction as I stopped 5 times a week for over 2 years. That is the single biggest thing that caused me to gain 60+ pounds in two years and grow to 243. I am almost 8 months post sleeve and I have not had a single bite of ice cream. I am so afraid that, like an alcoholic, if I allow myself that first bite, it will start me down the path of weight gain again. The good news is that I don't crave it or even miss it. I LOVE my Protein shakes! I use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chocolate splendor powder in skim milk and I add about 2-3 inches of frozen banana, ice and a little powdered Peanut Butter. Blend away, and I feel like I am having a milk shake. This is better than Baskin Robbins because it tastes delicious and it is a healthy choice.

Is anyone else afraid to even have a small amount of certain trigger foods?