Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tweaking the fill, part deux

I was able to get in to the fill clinic this morning where the radiologist took out 1 cc of my 6 cc fill. Two weeks ago, when I got that fill, the barium flowed through fine. But my experience with fills is it always takes mine a couple of weeks to reveal themselves, and within a couple of days of that last fill I knew I was too tight. I never made it out of the mushies stage and even those hurt going down. Who gets stuck on a sip of coffee? I did!

The radiologist concured and drew out 1 cc (I was hoping he'd only take out .5. Oh, well.)

I guess he was right when he said not to go from 3cc to 6cc in one fell swoop. So I'll spend the next couple of months getting used to this fill level, and should it not be sufficient, I'll go back in in the fall.

All hail the power of the adjustable lapband. I know this "tweaking" part of the band's life can be bothersome (believe me, I'd rather be anywhere else than the fill clinic) but, at the same time, I want to keep my band for life. Staying too tight is not only a miserable way to eat (by yesterday I was getting stuck on every.single.thing. I tried to drink or eat) but it also puts my band at risk. Don't want to lose this powerful helper.

Yeah! So glad you are feeling better! Thank you so much for your valuable experiences you are sharing with us! Have a great day!

I was over filled (my fault) on March 25th for one week and nearly collapsed my esophagus - it was a horrible feeling, so not only was I unable to eat or drink anything until 8pm and still very little at that time, I had this pulsing in my throat that hurt so much. My doc is a one-man office (he's REALLY GREAT) saw him on that Tuesday afternoon and went from 7.5 to 8 CC's - I did the drinking Water test in the office, it was a little slower but nothing alarming - where I went wrong is that I ate chicken for dinner that night which probably irritated the fill (Lesson learned now I will only have fluids for 48 hours after every fill) - but by Thursday I was unable to eat anything and couldn't even drink without pain,so I called doc and they said to come in and they'd fit me into his schedule, well I got busy with work and blew off the appointment and on Friday he was in surgery so they told me I could go to the emergency room :( I hate the emergency room so I suffered until Monday went to his office at open to find out he was in surgery all day - so couldn't see him til Tuesday - an entire week (10lbs down in one week and I've never done that before either). Well... NEVER AGAIN!! I'm lucky I didn't kill myself - so in that much needed appointment he took out 4cc's :( and that completely opened me up and he wouldn't see me again for a month.

I was TERRIFIED!!! I think in that month I really learned the most about the band - I was able to eat everything and anything but primarily didn't allow myself - I didn't want that week of suffering to be all for not... in late April, 5 weeks later he put back 3 cc's and in the beginning of June he put in .5... so I'm back to where I was before the over-fill and although I am still not in the green I'm more aware as to how close I am. I'm down 45lbs since surgery and I have another 25lbs to go to get to high end of my ideal weight.

It's a journey no doubt and these journey's are as individual as each and everyone of us. I Love my band - I'm so happy I did this surgery - but it's proven that it's a mindful life every moment of every day - it's helped make me a better me.

One last tidbit - I go July 30th for what I hope to be my last fill - probably as little as .2 or .3 and I bet that's going to be the one... :)

TTFN

Hello fellow tweaker!! :P

So I went in one month ago for a slight fill and was surprised he gave me .5 CCs. And it took about a week to really settle in. And once again I thought I had this eating routine down pat but nooooo. So, for me it's not the chewing part, it's the eating too fast and big part that seems to cause me problems.

But, I'm very happy with where my band is now and working on slowing down is a meal to meal chore. I'm back in the green zone once again and loving it.

Edited by 2muchfun

@@parisshel

Glad to hear you're getting back to close adjustment. Hope this one is the "sweet spot" :)

I went last Thursday myself. I think he put .2 this time, getting me back real close to where I was before having a bit taken out in Feb, due to my irritation.

Fills really are more art than science, imho, once you are over a year post-op. We should have a special "Tweakers" forum.

I think the strange part of the whole "fill experience" is that we sometimes don't have the true effect of the fill until sometimes a few weeks later....... And I mean both ways. I can feel tight after a fill and it settles down to where, after a few weeks, I then feel NO restriction, and on the other hand, I've had fills that didn't seem to do anything right after, and then over a few weeks after the fill, I've had great restriction. A true ART for sure!!!!!!!

I agree 100% it is a real art and not every doctor or PA is a great artist. I have to tell you I have come across my share of them and they don't make me very happy. :angry:

There are days when I feel like I need to stand on my head to have a fill and if I request an un-fill for what ever reason like the one and only time I did because I was sick...I know they are looking out for my best interest and the health of my body and the band, but really isn't that what "adjustable" is all about?

If I wanted to diet, I would not have had surgery. So hearing the PA tell me well that x amount of fill should work for you..what exactly does that mean?! What works for her...oh wait she is not banded. How do you know what works for me? I think I am the only one that is going to be able to determine that....please tweakers..tell me if I am wrong here, cause it's been about 3 weeks since that incident and it still has me P.O'd.

I agree, lisacaron. If we are truly in tune with our bodies and listen to them, they will tell us what we need. That being said, I am thankful that everyone that works in my doctor's office (other than the doctor) is banded. They at least know what I'm feeling as I am discussing my symptoms and making my requests.

Totally agree. The obstacle course I have to run to get filled/unfilled is very complicated. And the doctor who does my fills gives off a "disdain" kind of vibe which makes me stressed as soon as I get on the table. Thankfully, his assistant is adorable and very supportive of me (and probably all the bandster patients) so that balances out the doctor's 'tude.

I agree 100% it is a real art and not every doctor or PA is a great artist. I have to tell you I have come across my share of them and they don't make me very happy. :angry:

There are days when I feel like I need to stand on my head to have a fill and if I request an un-fill for what ever reason like the one and only time I did because I was sick...I know they are looking out for my best interest and the health of my body and the band, but really isn't that what "adjustable" is all about?

If I wanted to diet, I would not have had surgery. So hearing the PA tell me well that x amount of fill should work for you..what exactly does that mean?! What works for her...oh wait she is not banded. How do you know what works for me? I think I am the only one that is going to be able to determine that....please tweakers..tell me if I am wrong here, cause it's been about 3 weeks since that incident and it still has me P.O'd.

I understand being posed loads of questions prior to the procedure, but there's a way to have this conversation which is supportive rather than adversial.

I've learned so much about lapbands and specifically my lapband, and one of the things I've learned is there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to fills. There's a standard, sure, but please respect the deviations!

Edited by parisshel