Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Looking for 7/22/14 surgery buddy

I am scheduled with Dr Kim on July 22 as well. I was so bad this past week. Knowing I would be starting my preop diet sent me into a tail spin of " Better taste it while I can". Anyway, I am starting my diet today although I am not required to begin until next Tuesday. I feel like I need the extra week to practice and get myself ready for the lifestyle change.

@@evanslaura79 Awesome! We'll meet up at the hospital and compare notes afterward! lol

A one-week diet--that must be awesome, too. I think one week is completely manageable. I'm just starting week 2, and I won't lie--I've had some bumps in the road. Nothing too terrible, though. I find that if I just keep up with the Protein shakes and add in some broth now and then, I'm usually pretty satisfied. I also add in some popsicles and probably could benefit from adding in Jello, too. I do recommend trying some of the Protein shake recipes the office gives you with your powder and buying the PB2 to mix in. That has proven to be a lifesaver for me. My spice cabinet also is now stocked with all sorts of extracts just for the Protein Shakes.

How has your experience been with Dr. Kim so far?

I am going to read the booklet tonight when I get home regarding recipes. I will need to change things up a bit to stave off boredom. I will buy the pb powder you mentioned. I love Peanut Butter, so that would feel like a treat for me. I like to spoil myself, hence the weight!

Dr Kim, at first I was a little off put by his candor when we met. However, my attitude has since changed. Sugar coating my issues would not benefit me, and our conversation made me take a hard look at what I am doing to myself with food. He was right and I needed to accept that. I have read some less than kind comments regarding his bedside manner, yet stellar reviews regarding his surgical abilities. I would rather have a fabulous surgeon. Leave the bedside manners to the nursing staff ;)

We can walk the halls together. I will try to get a picture up today.

post-224072-0-35522400-1404848776_thumb.jpg

hi mine is on the 22nd. You can add me on fb jennifer phillips magnusson. I can add you to out july sleevers secret group. Would love to have some more buddies to share experiences with

@@evanslaura79 Yes, the PB2 will become a handy ingredient. I especially mix it in with the vanilla Protein powder since that is by far my least favorite (between the whopping two flavors we're stuck with during pre-op)--although a week-long pre-op diet probably won't be so bad for you. I'm plugging along in my three week diet, and being confined to the two flavors has been rather boring and difficult to swallow sometimes. I definitely take advantage of getting in some broth when I can.

I agree with you about Dr. Kim. I'd take the matter-of-fact and expertise over the bedside manner. My experience so far also has been good, except there has been a bit of a hiccup with my pre-op testing. Dr. Kim's office called yesterday and asked if the hospital had contacted me yet, which they hadn't. So, they had to call the hospital and figure out why I hadn't been scheduled to do pre-op testing yet since my surgery is about a week and a half away. Apparently, they didn't have me down on their books. :( But, I did get it all scheduled for next Wednesday, so hopefully everything will turn up roses. Have you done your pre-op testing yet?

@@jenngottaloseit Thanks for the invitation!

I did my preop testing on Thursday of last week.Is it just me or is everyone at that hospital extremely nice? I'm not complaining, it's just a very different experience than I've ever had in the past. I hope surgery day they are as cheerful. I was told dr Kim is an early bird and begins surgery as early as 4am. I won't be that sweet at 4am!

I've ordered a ton of protien powder samples and I'm going to try them out in various recipes this first week so I can get my mind wrapped around meal planning for post op. I have to travel for business at 16 days post op. That has me slightly unnerved as the diet is so restricted. I am planning to pre ship supplies to the hotel to make sure I'm armed and ready.

I am hoping everyone is doing well! The days are getting closer and I am starting my pre-op diet this week. How much weight have you guys lost on the pre-op diet? I have already lost around 20 lbs in the past few months, I am hoping to lose at least 10 more pounds before surgery. I am worrying that I might not meet that goal, because my weight loss is slowing now, like it usually does after the first 15lbs. Well here's to the next couple weeks, and to the scale moving in the right direction! B)

Good morning, Dulce! I'm starting Week 3 of my pre-op diet. So far, things have been okay. A few bumps in the road, but nothing too major. I've lost 10 pounds in the last couple of weeks. I would have liked to have lost closer to 20 before surgery, but I'll take any loss I can get. The liquid diet hasn't been too bad, but it has gotten boring. I feel like I'm just going through the motions now. I won't lie, though--I do miss other kinds of food, but it's purely mental because my stomach isn't hungry.

Next Tuesday is my date. Hopefully, I'll know the time come Thursday or Friday.

I hope everyone else is doing well, also.

@@tfowler I'm glad you're doing well! 10 lbs is good, plus you still have a little over a week to squeeze in a few more. I have a lot of people in support group that got bored with it as well. But I have stocked up on so many different flavors of protein: orange, cookies-n-cream, vanilla, chocolate fudge, mint chocolate chip, caramel pretzel, chicken broth and unflavored. I am not worried about the flavors getting boring, just about wanting to snack. I am a big time snacker... It's got to be mental because I am not hungry at 10am or 3pm when the urge to go to the vending machine and buy a pack of crackers kicks in. It's like I can time the moment when I say to myself, hey wouldn't those cheeze its just be perfect! Gotta get that head hunger under control. I always picture the "devil & angel" sitting on my shoulder and I hate to admit, but the devil usually wins the war when it comes to my Snacks. To avoid temptation, I took the change jar out of my desk drawer and put Jello in the refrigerator. We shall see. The struggle is real, lol. :blush:

<p>@@tfowler I'm glad you're doing well! 10 lbs is good, plus you still have a little over a week to squeeze in a few more. I have a lot of people in support group that got bored with it as well. But I have stocked up on so many different flavors of protein: orange, cookies-n-cream, vanilla, chocolate fudge, mint chocolate chip, caramel pretzel, chicken broth and unflavored. &nbsp;I am not worried about the flavors getting boring, just about wanting to snack. I am a big time snacker... It's got to be mental because I am not hungry at 10am or 3pm when the urge to go to the vending machine and buy a pack of crackers kicks in. &nbsp;It's like I can time the moment when I say to myself, hey wouldn't those cheeze its just be perfect! &nbsp;Gotta get that head hunger under control. &nbsp;I always picture the "devil &amp; angel" sitting on my shoulder and I hate to admit, but the devil usually wins the war when it comes to my Snacks. &nbsp;To avoid temptation, I took the change jar out of my desk drawer and put Jello in the refrigerator. We shall see. The struggle is real, lol.&nbsp; :blush:</p>

Hello. I am scheduled to be sleeved on 7/21. Where did you get such a large variety of Protein flavors? Please share. This strawberry, chocolate, and vanilla got old last week and are making it harder as I enter into this week.

Yeah, @@Dulce_jtrivera, I'm with @@Boise . Where did you get all those flavors? I know powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury has some, but they don't have the Cookies and cream or caramel pretzel, do they?

For me, my surgeon required that I buy the chocolate and vanilla Protein powder from his office for the pre-op diet. Those were the only approved powders for now, but I don't think it's as strict on the post-op full liquid diet. I want to stock up on other flavors as well.

@@Boise I ordered mostly online, but most of the flavors are Isopure brand. The caramel pretzel is Protein Synthesis and I got that at the local Nutrishop. I was also going to order some of the New whey shots that are advertised on here. They come in all sorts of fruity flavors, reminds me of Kool Aid! I can understand getting bored with only one or two flavors, but there is a variety out there, you just have to look for it. Hope this helps!

Edited by Dulce_jtrivera

@@tfowler My surgeon's office sales some onsite as well, but the nutritionist gave us a huge list and I just bought from the approved brands. I checked with her on the caramel pretzel because it was not on the list, but she said it was fine. I will try to scan the list in and upload it for you guys.

10443877_10203267143552789_359714946_n.j

Sorry the pic is so big, but this is what the Protein synthesis looks like and it is the one that has the caramel pretzel. It's just right for when you need a little bit of a salty flavor!