Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Throw out the old in with the new

Decided to go throught my fridge and cabinets and throw away trigger foods, you know the ones you go to when you having an emotional day. Will anyone else get rid of ice cream , cakes,cookies ,chips out the house before surgery and just have the house pack with healthy foods

Hell, yes!

I did that too, leaving in place foods I know my husband likes, but only the ones that are not temptations for me! It was liberating, and felt like another good step closer at the time. I began the pre-op diet the next day, with a clean conscience and a very clean kitchen and pantry.

The great thing is, as hard as it is to throw away ice cream and treats and wonderful breads and pastas, pretty soon you will be doing the same purging in your closet. Only then (for me) I was getting rid of large dark shapeless outfits that are not purely because they fit and did not clean, but very little of it was actually attractive. Now I get to shop my old clothes out of boxes, and find that three fourths of that wardrobe no longer fits my optimistic attitude and approach to closing--so much about is going to Goodwill too.

Good job cleaning your pantry and setting yourself up for success!!

I have 2 nine year old growing boys who have access to occasional Snacks such as that at all times. I find it brings a healthier view on such foods that it's there if they want it and not a reward. Anyway, it's ok because post-op all those foods make me instantly gag at the thought! I even thought that I would try a bite of one of their Little Debbie snacks and couldn't even hold it in my mouth for more than a few seconds before spitting it out in disgust. Since sweets were always my weakness it's strange after 43 years, but I welcome it and the results!

Great idea! I'm going to do that right now!

My date is on July 22nd and all that isn't bake and eaten after the Fourth of July will be given away ot thrown in the garbage and I will not bring anymore junk food in the house I have kids I give them spending money for their Snacks I have my frozen bday cake in freezer I freeze everything I dont eat up save it for another day or occasion but with the new sleeve I'm about to get I'm not wanting to sabotage my new weight and my success

Decided to go throught my fridge and cabinets and throw away trigger foods, you know the ones you go to when you having an emotional day. Will anyone else get rid of ice cream , cakes,cookies ,chips out the house before surgery and just have the house pack with healthy foods

I'm doin that now! I was just sitting here thinking who I can give this to.I cleaned out fridg earlier today! I'm right there with ya..mine is Tuesday the 8th...excited!

i threw out stuff that i know long term we wouldn't likely eat- mostly processed boxed stuff that i wouldn't be able to have for quite a while and maybe wouldn't choose to have again anyways.

i have 2 kids and a hubs who are all really healthy and kids are both underweight so i had to keep their stuff around! i try to feed them all well and so there is always fruit, raw veg, Jerky, nuts, etc around for snacking.

honestly, post op, even though the stuff LOOKS good or in my head, seems tasty, NONE of the food in my house is tempting or an issue for me at all. i have ZERO appetite 11 days out and just focused on the few things that i can have right now.

it's weird because post op i have found much enjoyment in cooking for my family. i have put together all sorts of good healthy meals for them, including cooking meats, pastas, Soups, salads, etc. doesn't seem to be an issue for me either, and in fact doing all this cooking seems to be helping me re-form my relationship with food. i respect food much more now as something necessary for fuel.

Could I suggest that food not expired be donated to local food pantries or churches. I teach lots of kids who don't have food at home and this would help their families and you out!