Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! 200 miles from home and no food

Hey y'all. I am 5 weeks post bypass. My family and I went for a road trip today. I packed enough food for the whole trip, perfectly planned and measured. We checked in to our hotel, loaded everything into the fridge, and left for the event we're here for. When we got back, we realized the fridge is broken and everything got spoiled. Now I'm 200 miles from home with nothing to eat. I could really use some help here. I don't know anything about ordering from a restaurant that would be both bariatric friendly and gluten free. I don't know what to do. :(

Any restaurant should have grilled fish or chicken And some sort of soft steamed vegetables. Three ounce serving of fish is about the size of the palm of your hand. Ask for to go box as soon as your food gets to table and pack up the rest of it to take back to hotel. Hopefully they will have your frig fixed by then. Or find the closest grocery store. Deli turkey or roast beef rolled up with cheese and spinach, dip in one of the fancy mustards.

Try this page. It gives lots of good info.

http://milestogo.squarespace.com/restaurant-rescue/

What kind of food did you bring with you? Can you buy that where you are at?

I'm sure at 5 weeks out, you shouldn't be eating any Pasta or bread or anything like that. What fresh fruit and veggies and lean Proteins that aren't fried or anything can you get at?

I had a soup/baby food emergency kit, but as a Bandster don't know your needs very well.

What about such as 'poached egg'???

Packets of tuna with soft fruit, baked Beans, Peanut Butter and apple slices, deli turkey and cheese, Campbells microwaveable Soups, turkey Jerky etc. Good luck ! Hope all goes well !

Thank you all so much!!

What kind of food did you bring with you? Can you buy that where you are at? I'm sure at 5 weeks out, you shouldn't be eating any Pasta or bread or anything like that. What fresh fruit and veggies and lean Proteins that aren't fried or anything can you get at?

Bear with me, I don't have my info with me so I'll tell you what I remember.

I can have turkey (and its sausage, bacon, etc.), ham, pork, canned chicken, eggs, and various seafood but I hate it... then cooked vegetables: carrots, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower... and fruit: cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon, applesauce...

That sounds great! Can you go to the store and get that or can you find it at local restaurants?

Since when is turkey hormone free? They can't breed any more naturally, from what I understand, because they've been given so much and bred to points where they're not natural. The turkey I get from a farm where they're raised on Pasture (http://www.fullquiverfarm.com/) sure does NOT look what I have seen or heard about. The taste is totally different.

Okay ladies, that's off-topic, let's try to be helpful. *smiles* Boar's Head deli meats are gluten free. The people at the counter don't always know what is gluten free and what's not. You can probably find a GNC nearby to buy a couple of Isopure Protein drinks since if you are gluten free you may have problems with lactose and while there are other Protein Drinks that are lactose free, Isopure tends to break things down pretty far to where it "shouldn't" bother you. At least it doesn't me. Others tend to give me headaches still. I make no promises but I wouldn't want you sick on your trip.

They will also have Protein Bars, Jerky, etc as finding Jerky that does not have gluten is difficult due to soy and terriyaki sauce. Though you may have better luck at a local Whole Foods, Sprouts, or Natural Grocers aka Vitamin Cottage. Fresh fruits and veggies are always good, but difficult in the first few weeks out of surgery while you are healing(again, different surgeries, different doctors) some of us needed baby food and purees, thankfully these can be found easily and are even in nice pouches now adays. Use your best judgement, but remember to get your Protein first, we don't want you getting anemic or losing hair.

tuna, salmon, ham, and even beef can be found canned and some in pouches. Be careful here as while they are easy protein to find they tend to be higher in sodium and extremely dense and sometimes hard to digest. I also get low fat cheese sticks to have with a couple of Blue Diamond nut thins when traveling. They are easy to have with me when we are out and don't tend to melt, plus I can have them in my purse and bonus, gluten free. You can also find eggs that are already boiled to either eat alone, make into an egg salad, or crumble onto a veggie salad. Again, dense protein so be careful.

If you have any questions or need help, please feel free to write me. I learned I was celiac AFTER my surgery so it was great fun finding out not only how to learn to eat my bariatric diet, but a whole new gluten free existence. *laughing. Good-luck on your trip.