Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a Lap-Band over Bypass. Big mistake!

I had a Bypass done about 20 years ago. It worked well. I have never regretted getting it done! After some time, I started to regain some of my weight back. So I went in and got the Lap-Band over my Bypass to help support more weight loss. The Band was a HUGE mistake!!! I have had it now for 5 years. I NEVER lost ANY additional weight with the band and was later told that sometimes, that is the case. So after enduring over a year of pain and misery with no results, I had all the Fluid removed from the band, so as not to use it any more. Over time I guess the band must have slipped, because it started to become hard to get food down again and was just like it was before. I had it checked and they said it was still empty of Fluid, but must have slipped. They said it would not slip as easily when it was empty then when it was filled and made tighter. But it still slipped anyway. over time it began to give me much discomfort. I have continued to have trouble getting food and Water down. And the pain is getting worse and worse. The acid problem I have had for some years now is REALLY severe! I am burning badly 24-7!! Nothing helps stop the burning!!! I am afraid I will end up with cancer of the esophagus if I continue to live with this much acid coming all the way up to the back of my throat burning and burning! Not to mention why the band is hurting and aching so much now! All this suffering with no added weight loss. I have been so uncomfortable since the band was put in. I want it OUT sooo bad!!!!! I feel like I need to get to a hospital asap!! But I have no medical insurance right now and even If I did and had it removed, I cannot tolerate any pain medication anymore. I have become allergic to all that I have been given so far. So I don't know how I would get through the surgery without any! I am in BIG trouble now and I don't know what to do, but go through it without any pain medication and just suffer it out, but maybe at least save my life. :(

Im sorry you have to go through all this , but whether you have insurance or not, you still must go to your Dr or emergency room ASAP ! Theres a difference between really bad and almost deadly , and either way you' re going to have to see a Dr. ! So go see one NOW , and worry about insurance later ! Keep us posted, hope all goes well !!!

Pink is right. A slipped band can cause the blood flow to your stomach to stop, causing parts of the stomach to die. A necrotic stomach or pouch would have to be removed and you would have no pouch or stomach left to digest food.

I would imagine your dysfunctional stomach might still be operative but why chance it? Go to the ER or call your doctor now.

tmf

Thank you both so much for your advice!♥ I will give the doctor's office a call and go back and get checked out. And see what needs to be done. No matter what, I want the band out anyway! I pray they can find a pain medication that I can have. I am in the process of getting insurance through my work right now.