Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Six Month Surgiversary

I'm so happy to have my lap band!

I have lost a total of 87 pounds so far! I want to lose 43 more to get to my goal of 165. But, really, even if I never lost another pound, it was worth it. I feel great.

I think that my large weight loss is not the usual for most people and if you have lost less, don't compare yourself. Everyone has to use their band their own way. I have been very lucky and have had a lot of things in my favor that have helped me along the way.

When I first knew I was going to get a lap band, I did not intend to be as focused on weight loss as I ended up being. I had decided I was going to stop eating fast food junk, I would watch my portions, and make better choices. I was surprised when my husband decided he would do my pre-op diet along with me to show support (he was very overweight also). That changed everything. Health, food, eating, and exercising became a daily conversation in our home. We completely revamped how we eat and how we see food. He joined us up to a gym and he started going every day. I work three days a week as a nurse, and I started going to the gym the other four days. I had no excuse not to go. We don't have children and I definitely could make the time.

It was hard at first. The gym we were going to was kinda snooty and I felt very self concious. I started out just walking on the treadmill and did that for a long time. Eventually I started jogging just a little. It was hard to even run for one minute without feeling like I was going to die. I had to fight the negative feelings of being the fattest person at the gym. And I was. No exaggeration. Eventually, I tried the elliptical and I discovered I love it! Over the last five months, I have been able to work myself up to one hour on the elliptical. I do crunches and upper body on the weight machines too. It was a mental battle to get over my insecurity. But, I did. And so will you if you keep at it.

I do use My Fitness Pal to log my calories. I follow the high Protein, low carb diet my surgeon wants me to do, but I also still believe that calories in/calories out is important. I love My Fitness Pal. It keeps me accountable and I am honest about every bite I put in my mouth. I allow friends to see my food log and it's hard sometimes to admit that I eat Chinese food once or twice a week and it's probably not that good for me. But I balance it out with very good, healthy days. I started out eating about 900 to 1000 calories a day. Now I probably eat about 1000- 1200 calories due to the amount of exercise I do. The summer is hard as there are a lot of social activites that involve alcohol and not so great foods. I still enjoy myself. I have my wine and I eat within reason on those days. If anyone want to be my friend on My Fitness Pal, my user id is lleepers (that's 2 lower case L's).

I have had one fill in my band. Every time I go back to the surgeon, he's happy and does not think I need a fill. I'm Okay with that. Maybe in the future I will need more restriction. I'm a realist and I know that life changes. I like being able to tolerate most foods. I still stay away from bread for the most part and Pasta. I eat rice every now and then. My band is a fickle b**tch. Some days I can shovel whatever I want down my piehole as fast as I want and other days I take two bites without chewing well, and it's a 10-15 minute stuck episode for me. I've only BP'd three times. Every time, it was my fault. I know the signs and ignore them and then I'm miserable. So, just because I can eat fast or as much as I want, doesn't mean I do. I have tried really hard to recognize satiety. I don't follow eating any certain amount, I just make sure what I put in front of me is healthy and low calorie. And I don't always have to finish my meal.

I would like soon, to stop counting calories. I think I have a good idea now of what is healthy and what foods are high in calories. That is how I view maintenance. I should be able to eat within reason, keep up my exercise, and stay close to my goal weight.

My hubby has lost 80 pounds. Together we have lost a whole person!

Like I said, I've have very fortunate circumstances that have allowed me to be so successful. I work three days a week, have a supportive hubby, no children (no tempting Snacks in the house). Also, my job as a nurse plays a big part. I work in a Cardiac Cath Lab and see everyday the effects of extra weight on people. I have a strong history of heart disease in my family and I'm relatively certain I was heading toward a heart attack.

The reason I mention my fortune is, I know that others are not so lucky. People have harder jobs and schedules, making it hard to go to the gym, or be able to make dinner that satifies everyone in the house. I feel for you. So don't be hard on yourself if you're a slow loser. This is about the long run. It's about becoming a healthier person. If you have to go back to get 12 fills to get to green zone, then so be it. Just make sure you do it. Just make sure that at every opportunity, you're making good choices.

I love this forum. I have gained great knowledge from others on here. It really helped when first starting out. It is one of my forms of support, even if I'm just lurking and not commenting. I encourage everyone to find support wherever you can.

Edited by Leepers

Thank you lleapers! Happy for you to have changed your lifestyle. Go Hubs!!

Thank you for all you do to help people in the cath lab too, my hubs depends on giving caring people like you.

Awesome post @@Leepers - love your story.

Honest and supportive--what great success you've had and you have apparently worked hard for it.

I also, feel very grateful, for the success that I've had. With a 4 and 7 year old and working as a teacher….I am always on the go…and besides not having time for the gym….i have NEVER liked the gym…so for me I try to walk ALOT.

Love that you gave kudos to your supportive hubby. I also have one of those and it is a game changer, in my opinion… and big congrats to him on losing 80 pounds with you!

I agree with you, I like using Fitness Pal…keeps you accountable in a easy and quick format.

And yes, this is a long term trip that is becoming a lifestyle change for the better.

Love that you commented on how fickle your band is…although I have not had a fill yet, I feel like you that some days I can eat fast (not on purpose) and it stops me and other days its like its not even there….sometimes i think Im the only one that experiences these things….

Thanks again for sharing your story…and GOOD JOB!