Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gout, A side effect from getting sleeved?

Sunday morning I woke up got aout of bed and noticed one of my feet was a bit puffy at the ball. Figured it was because I wore tennis shoes the day before. Through out the day my foot started hurting more and more. By the late afternoon I was in terrible pain. Monday morning I woke up and the pain was very intense. On a scale of 1 to 10 it was at a 9. I have a high tolerance for pain compared to most. Ended up calling in sick to work because I neede crutches to get around and went to the doc. Turned out I have gout which I have never had before. The cure for gout is heavy duty anti inflamitories which I was told I could never have again after having my sleeve. Turns out that is not true, but you want to limit it as much as possible. There are many possible reason for the gout. 1) high protien diet, 2) rapid weight loss, 3) alcohol ( which I have given up).

Has anyone else experience gout after surgery? If so, what coarse of action did you take. Did you try reducing your protien intake? I find it hard to beleive its a protien issue. Sure, we are on a high Protein diet, but in my case even with Protein being the goal I am still eating much less protein than before surgery. I have to conclude that the main cause is rapid weight loss. What are your thoughts? I hope this does not come and go once I get to maintanance. It fricking hurts a lot.

So sorry you are having a painful gout attack. The high-protein diet may be contributing to the build-up of excess uric acid which will cause you gout. Be sure to drink a lot of Water. Also, I've heard that cherry juice, organic and unsweetened is best, can help prevent and alleviate the symptoms. Not sure how much to drink though. Have you done any online research?

This is new to me. The research I have done points to cherry juice which I could not find and pineapple. I was able to purchase fresh pineapple and cherries. Another product I am trying is prescription strength topical anti inflammatory cream. It was about $70 a tube. Both docs that I spoke with today have no idea how well the stuff works. Guess I will find out. I would not wish gout on my worst enemy. It hurts. Feels like a hot soldering Iron got stabbed into the ball of my foot.

Yes, I had the worst gout attack of my life after surgery. I haven't found any home remedies that work. I was prescribed colchrys which helped. I now take Uloric every day to reduce Uric acid levels and prevent future flares. Gout flares are common after any surgery, not just bariatric. Hope you find relief soon.

Edited by lilijo

I was sleeved November 18, 2013 and the gout attack hit me December 30 like a freight train. Back and forth, both big toe joints. Went to the ER at New Years, called my surgeon's office (was told the Indomethacin will EAT your sleeve, but gout was not their problem or specialty). Raw cherries and juice did not help. My primary doctor put me on Indomethacin and Colcrys anyway which scared me to death. Then I was given Allpurinol, 100 mg. then 300 mg. when that did not help. Through it all I suffered. In March I was out of town and ended up in the hospital after vomiting 8 hours from the meds Indomethacin and Colcrys. I was so dehydrated I was admitted 24 hours. Horrible. There is HOPE. I found a compound pharmacist who put me on a regimen the past 40 days and I am finally pain free for 38 days following this regimen of herbal items purchases from his pharmacy (or online at vitacost, or healthfood store):<br />Solaray Triple Strength Tart Cherry capsules (2 in the am, 2 in the pm)<br />Curamin capsules (1 am, 1 pm)(for pain)<br />Omega 3 fish oil, 1000 mg (2 capsules, 3 times a day) (inflammation fighter)<br />Celery Seed capsules 505 mg capsules (1 capsule 4 times a day)<br />Tumeric spice (sprinkle on food, salads, etc. - he said use this like pepper/salt)<br />Celery - eat as much fresh celery as possible a day. Put in ice Water in fridge for freshness.<br />Eat fruits and veggies for 2 weeks during a flare up.<br /><br />I am a BELIEVER. I used a cane to get to the compound pharmacist after I picked up a 2nd round of steroids (which I did not use). I left the next day for a road trip from Florida to Kansas, and in less than 2 days I was completely pain free and still am today, June 18. I went back to the pharmacist when I returned, and he told me I could cut down the dosage of the supplements. I cut the dose in half now but I will not stop them as I never want to experience gout again.<br /><br />I will never take Indomethacin or Colcrys again. I don't drink alcohol, I never ate the foods they say cause gout. It has to be the protein/weight loss that caused it.<br /><br />All these supplements are herbal. Best Wishes. I feel your pain. Linda<br />

I'm scheduled for the Sleeve June 30th and since I've had a couple severe flare ups in the past I'm not looking forward to the possibility of another. I've found that cherry juice and fresh cherries do seem to help with a flare up of gout. I also drink Garden of Life Perfect food Super Green Formula mixed with cherry or apple juice (mixed with Water it tastes like liquid grass). Also, just started taking cherry extract capsules as a daily supplement in hopes of preventing future flare ups. I agree that a severe flare up of gout is the a very painful experience.

Had VSG on 5/1, on 5/11 was in the ER thought I might have a clot ended up, they think its Gout - followed up with my GP yesterday, he did a blood draw for the Uric Acid - he said he would not give me Colcrys because of what it can do to the stomach. Well, it's 3:03 am, I just took another hydrocodone, can't get any sleep the pain is unbearable. I will call the surgeon's office to see if I can get their take on Colcrys - this is just miserable.

Doc gave me Culchicine, what a huge relief - really helped heal up the gout.

I have gout-family genetics- have been on allopurinol for the past 20 years. I was sleeved on March 9. I have lost 40 pounds since December and feeling great. I had labs drawn last week and it showed no change in my uric acid. I really have not suffered from the gout symptoms since I was diagnosed more than 20 years ago. I hope your doctor gets to the bottom of it. It is possible with rapid weight loss and all the Proteins that are metabolized that the uric acid might go up. I hope there is medication you can take in order to relieve any gout symptoms if that is the case.

Edited by shots95

My doc gave me coulchine, it works, but it takes about 2 - 3 days