Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

4 wks post surgery, gaining weight and panicking

Tomorrow, I'll be 4 weeks post surgery. In the past 10 days, I've gained 1.5 lbs, despite eating between 500 - 800 calories per day and keeping my daily carbs under 50g. I exercise (usually walking) every day for at least 45 minutes. I'm keeping hydrated. The only part of the program I'm struggling with is getting all my Protein, I'm getting about 40g per day.

I've read the FAQ regarding stalls but according to my Doctor, there is no such thing. According to him, If you aren't losing you need to eat less or exercise more or accept that this is all the surgery can do for you.

I'm terrified that I'll be dealing with all the life long implications of VSG for nothing.

Am I being overly pessimistic or do I need to start dealing with the reality that VSG isn't the cure I was expecting.? :(

I'd love to hear some real life sleevers who had early weight gains and eventually lost the weight. ((False?) hope springs eternal. )

I hate to tell you this, but your doctor is wrong. I will be post op 5 weeks this coming Monday. I stalled for 6 days after 2 weeks. I'm more concerned that your doctor doesn't seem to be very supportive. My experience with my doctor is very different. She has been absolutely fantastic. Hang in there. I think you will be surprised when all of a sudden you will drop in weight. Don't weigh everyday. I only weigh on Mondays. Get in a support group if you have one locally. We have a very good one here in Dallas at Baylor-Plano Medical Center. Also, keep reading the comments here on BariatricPal. I've learned so much from others. Also, ask your NUT about this. Best of luck to you. :)

You can stall - according to what my facilitator said. It's normal. You should see what you are eating. Maybe too many carbs? I can't have more than 30g of carbs, 15g of fat and 800 cals/day.

He sounds like a green meanie to me. Has he never heard of metabolic resistance - which is why many of us are in this mess? Shortley, I will be at six months, and have been bouncing between 178 and 180 for weeks on end. I can gain two pounds overnight, which takes weeks to lose again.

I find that when my calories are at around 800, that does not sustain a very vigorous exercise program. I know from my past history, I cannot lose weight even at 1000 calories, and I have significant orthopedic and post stroke issues that prevent me from from doing much. Cutting my calories back to 600 sends me into low blood sugar and dizziness, like last night when it was in the low 60s.

It's disheartening, I know. My doc also said that stalls are NORMAL and that I just need to watch my numbers and wait this out, while incorporating exercise when I can. Like you expressed, we did not go through this just to stop and give up. Let's hang in there together. There is no point in your doctor humiliating you. Geeze Louise.

One thing that sticks out to me is that you are taking in 40g Protein. According to my NUT, the amount should be 60 - 80g of Protein, closer to the 60 for women and 80 for men. Maybe taking in more protein may make you feel more satisfied.

Tomorrow, I'll be 4 weeks post surgery. In the past 10 days, I've gained 1.5 lbs, despite eating between 500 - 800 calories per day and keeping my daily carbs under 50g. I exercise (usually walking) every day for at least 45 minutes. I'm keeping hydrated. The only part of the program I'm struggling with is getting all my Protein, I'm getting about 40g per day.

I've read the FAQ regarding stalls but according to my Doctor, there is no such thing. According to him, If you aren't losing you need to eat less or exercise more or accept that this is all the surgery can do for you.

I'm terrified that I'll be dealing with all the life long implications of VSG for nothing.

Am I being overly pessimistic or do I need to start dealing with the reality that VSG isn't the cure I was expecting.? :(

I'd love to hear some real life sleevers who had early weight gains and eventually lost the weight. ((False?) hope springs eternal. )

Hello and sorry to hear your troubles. I am just about 6 months post and i have had a couple of stalls during my journey. You mentioned you r havinf problems getting in ur Protein? From experience i can tell you that not getting in ur minimum could be causing the problem. It is very important to get in your Proteins. I know you are still newly starting but do what it taoes to get in ur protein. I eat 800-900 cal a day on avg and i eat 80-100g of protein a day so it is possible. Just choose food high in protein, low in fat and low in sugar. I do not count carbs but thats because i dont eat things carb related. I eat whole foods, i occassionally eat a slice of bread but whole wheat or have mashed potatoes but homemade no box. So my carbs are healthy carbs. You will have stalls, its part of losing weight in any form. Just dont get discouraged. My NUT told me that your body will acclimate so you need to change things up every 4-6 wks. So i change up my exercise routine and my eating plan so my body no longer has time to adjust. Gotta keep her guessing! This was not a waste for you. Just eat high protein and get at least 64oz of Water and get in exercise daily. Once you can start really working out get yourself a good routine and as a suggestion for exercise, do your research! I warm up and the do strength training and then my cardio. You will burn alot more calories and for a much longer period. I feel being well informed on this journey is the key to success. Just stay positive and tell that doctor to take a hike. My surgeon is one of the leading surgeons on gastric surgery. His team has done some of the most ground breaking surgeries in thi field. I have had the greatest success with the team here. They are here for every worry and question i can think of and kindly help. I also agree with a previous post about a support group. It will really help you to find one around you. You need the support especially early on when you have so many questions. I hope this encourages you. If you have the time just do some research. Remember to stick to high protein, chicken, turkey, fish, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, whey protein isolates, and more. Good luck and if you need help or have questions and i can be of service plz feel free to ask. I will help if i can. Btw, i started at 356 and am now 252. Down 104 in just under 6 months, so doing what ur supposed to does work. Let me know how your doing in the time ahead.

Low carb worked best for me. I tried to keep them under 20g a day and Protein above 90g. Try switching around your Protein / carb intake and see how it goes.

One thing that sticks out to me is that you are taking in 40g Protein. According to my NUT, the amount should be 60 - 80g of Protein, closer to the 60 for women and 80 for men. Maybe taking in more protein may make you feel more satisfied.

I agree. You should check with your nutritionist about the ratio of protein/carbs/fat/calories.

Great advice Kimba6999!

Thank for all the replies.

I contract my Dietician yesterday and here are the minimums he gave me:

-58 g Protein per day (based on my height)

-130 g carbs per day

-1200 calories per day

-8 cups of Water per day

I notice that they are all (except protein) much greater than all your recommendations. It is so confusing (and frustrating) that every clinic has different recommendations.

The dietician wasn't concerned about the gain. He thought that a lot of it is probably due to moving from 6 weeks on a very low carb diet (less than 30 g per day) to the post surgery "normal" diet. The technicalities flew over my head but my interpretation of what he said was that when you start eating carbs again, your body retains Water to digest these carbs.

He also suggested that I use Protein powder to increase my Protein until I can eat more solids. He suggested Beneprotein which can be mixed into anything.

I'm going to try to follow the recommendations I've been given and see where it takes me.

Yikes on your doc! My Nut, who works at my surgeon's office, told us about stalls prior to surgery and to not get discouraged. Man oh man on that doc...I'm just really taken aback.

@ member Happy..,Your doctor is absolutely wrong about the stall! I had a 3 week stall at 5 weeks post op. During that time I wasn't getting in enough Protein because dense protein made me full too quickly. I took the advice of several members on this site about increasing my protein. I did this by adding an extra Protein Shake daily. By increasing my protein I broke the stall and lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks. Trying increasing your protein and Water intake and decrease your carb intake and you will do well.

My weight loss is so slow but im getting in Protein, drinking a Protein Shake for Breakfast with 36 grams protein and im literally not eating anything non protein. Im taking Vitamins, getting in plenty of fluids so...? Not gaining but weight loss is so slow. I walk daily but I need to add more exercise. Doctors goal is for me to lose 40 pounds in 3 months and mine is 50 pounds in 3 months. I had surgery 3 weeks ago and have lost 17 pounds. Ive been at 17 pounds for 3 days and not sure if 40 - 50 pounds in 3 months is realistic. Im hoping that ketosis kicks in and chases fat cells away.