Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I read in the paper work from my Dr. that some people have Hair loss after surgery. Has anyone had a problem with this? My hair is already thin and I am worried about losing hair. I plan to make sure I still get in plenty of protien but is that all I need to do

Yes I have this problem and I take Vitamins and Biotin and B12 and try to get all my Protein but the last fill I got I was too tight and couldnt eat much and the doc says I wasnt getting enough nutrients and my hair is breaking off. It doesnt happen to everyone but make sure to get enough protein and vitamins and maybe you wont have this problem. I hope you dont, it is not a good feeling.

I have started deep conditioning my hair and it seems to have helped alot, I still lose hair but no where near as bad as before. The doctor said it is due to lack of nutrients because I was too tight and wasnt eating , I got a little unfill and infusium Shampoo, conditioner,leave in treatment has helped. But if I dont use all three I can tell the difference. Just what helps me, food for thought.

It seems that just as each Dr. has his own pre/post op diets, each has their own theory on Hair loss. Some will blame it on a lack of Protein, or overall deficiencies, others on the after effects of anesthesia, or a shock from surgery. They also often blame stress. One will recommend Biotin, another zinc, yet another nioxin. It is a guessing game!!! It may be one of those issues, or a combination of all of them!

I began losing hair, and I lost the whole hair, including the little bulb where it come out of the scalp, mine was not breaking off, it was falling out. This started about 4-5 months out from surgery. It grew worse, until my part was VERY wide, you could see the shape of my scalp! I changed hairstyles, and used tons of product. I lept my protein up from the begining, so that was not my issue. I took the biotin from about 6 weeks out, began taking the zinc. Nothing seemed to be helping. I used special Shampoo all along. The one I got from Sally's Beauty supply suggested to me, just seemed to make it worse, it kept my hair sooooo dry! I eventually went back to a strengthening shampoo, that made what hair I had feel best. I treated my hair very gently, went to washing it only every other day. I would say I lost easily half my hair. In the last month it has stopped falling out so badly, I am back to normal hair loss. I cannot see my scalp so clearly now, so I am thinking I may be starting to regrow, and it is shadowing the scalp. I am hoping that is the case! I used to have to buy clips etc. for heavy hair. Now if I put my hair in a ponytail, it would be about as big around as a dime!

I may have lost more excessively than others will, because I have lost ALL my hair before due to chemo. Maybe that made me more succeptable to the loss of hair, I don't know. It was traumatic. I actually had people mention it, it was obvious! It was scary.

I finally decided I could be thin and wear a wig. I could not have a full head of hair, and slip on a thin suit. About the time I wrapped my mind around accepting it---it quit! Maybe stress does play a role! In my case it lasted several months. I have never been extremely tight, I am able to eat most anything, and do maintain a healthy diet. The one thing I did change, was to add more fats into my diet, I was told that is necessary.

I was also told I could expect it again when I have my TT---oh joy!

Hang in there!!! It does get better. Just when I thought it never would it did.....

Kat

Thanks everyone! After reading your posts I seem to qualify for hairloss :) Stress umm yeah! Not sure about being too restricted,some days I can eat it seems too much and other days I can't do anything but liquids especially in the morning.I have always been able to eat more than 1/2 cup serving(I am a slow loser)but have lost weight so figured a little weight loss is better than gaining

about 4 months out I had alot of hair loss..then it settled down to normal. About 8 months out it started again and it's now normal again. Everyone is different and depending on whats going on in your life stress wise and how you're eating it will affect your hair. Remember Vitamins and Protein. :) Hugs and best wishes.