Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You're so vain...

AbsoFreakinLutely!!!

1- I really wanted to get healthy... i really did... but I am not going to lie, as the weight started coming off... i started to like the way i looked and quite frankly... I love that my husband cant keep his hands off me...

Raises hand very proudly. I had a few health related issues from being overweight. Hell I am still on this journey, its not over yet. But in the recent months I have really have come out of my shell. Always had a super high self esteem growing up, I come from a family with overweight family members. Growing up my mom was big until she went and had her surgery done back in 2007. So, growing up for me I always was taught to dress to impress and also wear makeup. Which I hate makeup to this day but wear it. So even at my highest I was happy with how I looked to begin with. I have a boyfriend, he finds me sexy who cares what the world says. But I was depressed at the same time because I knew at 397 the chances of me having kids where very slim, and also living longer was slim as well. Something needed to change and here I am. I tried weigh loss surgery when I was 18 and did it for all the wrong reasons, and I will admit that. I have changed and grown since then and love my revision to the sleeve. Well now that I have lost 106 pounds and into sizes I haven't worn since I was a freshman in high school I am feeling more confident than ever. I love how everything looks on me even more, and take that extra mile at times. My boyfriend who has been with me through this whole journey reminds me daily that I am beautiful, and that means a lot. I am now proud of myself more than I ever have been. And here's the kicker the "bullies" that teased me at school are wanting to know my secret or better yet are overly apologetic. I accept and move on, hopefully when the class reunion comes to I can slap them in the face with the new me.

I am 56. In my teens through 30s, I guess I was attractive because the men swarmed like flies. It used to annoy me... I'd be free from one boyfriend and there were the others, like a bunch of vultures waiting for their opportunity. I wondered what would happen if I were ever disfigured or injured. Would anyone love me? Well, circumstances changed. Life happened, depression hit big time, and I started medicating with food. Now I am the invisible woman. Men - and women - look the other way. The don't hold elevator doors. I mainly just want to be healthy and feel good. But I also don't want to be invisible anymore. I will never forget what this has felt like and how cruel people can be. It has taught me so much compassion for others. That has been the silver lining.

One thing to add: I bought a cute bikini and have it hanging on my wall where I can see it every day. And I find myself doing google searches for "pretty dresses". So, yes, I am looking forward to shedding my 100 pound cocoon. :)

My motto: "Soon soon, the skinny bitch that lives inside my imagination will come out to play"

I'll admit it, I wanted to be healthier , but dammit, I was tired of being the fattest friend in my group. That was my true agenda . There , that was cathartic!

Edited by JanetPRN

We live in a world with an appetite to look good. We revolve ourselves around it. It's probably the most acceptable stereotype, FAT. so, yes, without a doubt I did this to be more attractive, more accepted, and yes, more healthy as well. But damn, I want to look fabulous , you almost have to , to feel fabulous, just speaking the truth. Don't get me wrong, I've always felt good about myself, just not very confident, always worried about my weight. Still on my journey , but it's a fun one so far!

I guess I'm vain as well, I mean I have been over weight since I was a very small child... I've never really known what it was like to go shopping and having fun I was wearing adult clothing while I was in elementary school, I was always made fun of even by the only boyfriend I ever had at the time. I was always embarrassed never had cute clothes always tried to make my hair look good though and I even had people comment I had a beautiful face and gorgeous hair but what's that matter when no one still never pays you attention? I got pregnant in 97 with my oldest child and the dad never even cared and later that year my ex husband and I got together he loved me no matter what but we were better friends than a married couple, we did have 2 more children though before we parted ways well we will never part ways but before we got our divorce.... I was looking into gastric bypass then and it's finally happened I waited 11 years I'm just glad it's finally here..... And I can get on with looking good, feeling good, spending quality time with my children, worshiping in church like I want too, I am ready to come out of my shell and be me ;) so yes I'm vain :)

Edited by tigerlily14

I totally agree. When my boyfriend of 8 years tells me I look good, although it's nice to hear, I wanna feel it too. Don't get me wrong, I'm a cutie but fat rolls can definitely get you down sometimes.

Edited by blacktxbelle

I'm doing this first for my health because I'm tired of not being able to walk around and I hate being in pain. I love myself, I love my body and I like the way I look just fine. I think I look fabulous. That being said, girl, I want to look like a SUPERSTAR! Of course I'm a vain b*@ch and I totally admit it. I want to buy all the cute clothing and look like a fine, fine woman. So, that is also another reason why I'm having the surgery!

Even though my main motivation was my health (diabetes, high blood pressure, cholesterol) I love being able to shop in the normal size section. @5' 0 " tall, I had a difficult time finding anything besides big sizes to wear that were always too long. I wanted to wear up to date styles and feel attractive again. I believe women especially all have the desire to be attractive. Being a little vain is a good thing because appearance is important. I also was tired of hiding from camera's. My family celebrates every life event, lots of picture taking for memories, I hated having mine taken. Now I can smile big and enjoy it.

I totally agree that the biggest factor is appearance! I have never had a self esteem issue really - I get compliments all the time because I take care of myself and make sure my clothes are nice, my hair is done, nails done and so on. I do have a few health issues but they are under control with medication. I am doing this so I feel better on the outside! I am tired of having to hunt for clothes that dont come with a huge flower all over them - or have no style what so ever. I want to be able to go into any store and shop - not just the fat girl stores! I want to wear sundresses again! I want to feel sexy and be able to buy something from victoria secrets and rock it! I want to be able to buy nice bras - not the ones with 50 hooks and an underwire that I end up cutting out because it hits me in the side of my boobs!

@@Roostertail2 oh yes the shirts with the giant flowers... lol! I totally feel you on that one.

50 hooks bras! OMG yes! I hate my bras and the fact that I used to have gorgeous boobs. Now I'm going to have to have a surgical intervention to put them back up where God intended them to be!!

Did it for health reasons but maintaining it because of how I look and feel! let's face it once the health reasons are not there it's hard to use the lack of them as motivation. Now have to be motivated by the mirror, clothes size, and the awesome feeling of being thin!