Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About bodybuilding

Hello everyone,

I did my surgery 3 years ago and i was 140k and I reach 60 but now I'm 70 after workout and a rich diet of Protein its killing me that I think that I cant build enough muscles. I have been working-out for 2 months and half. I always make sure that I get 140 gm of Proteins. I see some change but I couldn't get more. For your info I had to remove my Gallbladder.

What I wanna know is there any bodybuilder who did Sleeve ? Anyone can help me with supplements not a protein ?

I'm not a bodybuilder per se, as strength/explosiveness and general well being are my main goals for lifting. But I do apply certain bodybuilding parameters (high reps and lots of time under tension) when I'm seeing a body part lagging for some reason. For example, I noticed a few months ago that my pecs (chest) looked a bit under developed. So now, I'll focus on chest work once a week using more of a bodybuilding lifting technique and those pecs are starting to come back in line with the rest of my muscles. So while physique is not my main goal from weightlifting, I still add in bodybuilding type lifts once a week or so. As for supplements, I think most are pretty bogus and a waste of money. Just my personal opinion, but aside from typical sleeve supplements, I do take fish oil a lot and sometimes creatine. The main things I would urge you to focus on are.....

1-Set specific goals you wish to accomplish from lifting and use that as motivation.

2-Work hard in the gym and even more important, work smart.

3-Eat to support your lifting efforts......some complex carbs along with Protein the first meal or two after your workout, etc.

Wish you the best!! :)

Hmmmmm what about looking online for some? I know more triathletes and ultras.

Hi thank you all , I actually work really hard like a bodybuilder I lift a good amount of wight + I eat good but i think That is my body limit for gaining muscles

Best regards

I have read over and over about the need to eat carbohydrates with the Protein or your body cannot process protein well. It will not matter how much protein you eat (e.g. >300 g). Without a 2:1 or 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, it will be wasteful. I like to eat about 60g of good carb with 30 g whey protein for first meal and 80-100 g of fast burning carb with 25 g protein post workout (around 5 pm). Minimal carbs for the rest of the day. 50 % protein, 30% carb and 20% fat has worked out really well for me and is very manageable spread out over 1800 calories. I eat a total of about 255 G protein a day on strength days, a little less on cardio days. It has been working well in terms of building up muscle. And of course you have to give your muscles a reason to eat, so push the Iron hard in your program. For the last 3 months, I have been doing p90x and that is a superb well rounded program to body build, as long as you bring the challenge. I am now going into more of a functional body weight program for a couple months, to give myself a change from isolation based exercises of p90x. It is called EFX by Mark Lauren -superb! Also check out "you are your own gym" by the same guy. I never get tired of those workouts. They are short (20-25 min), but really effective for building a strong athletic body. Functional over isolation may be what you are looking for to build a balanced muscular body for 3 days of strength training a week. As for cardio, I am doing fat zone cardio on my 3 strength days and a combination of high intensity / medium intensity on my 3 cardio days. One rest day.

Edited by Fiddleman

I'm a female body builder and I agree. Protein is still 90% of my diet. I avoid sugars and most carbs unless they are good carbs :)

Hey here is one: what do people define as "good carbs"?

I would say berries, bananas, dates, corn. What is everyone elses' take on this?

fruits and veggies of course :)

For me, I'd say anything that doesn't have white flour or sugar in it. I would classify bad carbs as being high on the glycemic index and good carbs as being low on the glycemic index. So naturally there are bound to be some carbs in the middle....maybe some fruits like bananas? My favorite good (low glycemic) carbs are broccoli, unsweetened oats, quinoa, green Beans, almonds, brown/long grain rice, red potatoes (without condiments), carrots and maybe bananas right after a hard workout. But that's just my favorites and the carbs that my body likes.

I think aroundhky should have us all over and make us a meal with his fav list :) Quinoa is the only thing I have not tried on that list but would be willing to put anything in my mouth once. :P

I don't eat anything white - Oprah did a fantastic article on this years ago. Google it!

I can't eat a banana without my husband picking me up and carrying me into the bedroom. :rolleyes:

Protein first and foremost. My surgeon says white foods have no nutritional value - things like white bread, white pastas, white rice, white potatoes. I always heard that bananas had way too much sugar. Berries are high Fiber, melons (like cantaloupe and honeydew) are supposed to be good, brown rice, quinoa (which I like when cooked in broth), whole grains, etc. I like hummus and chili made w/black Beans, too.